News:

Welcome to the MF1 Forum

Main Menu

2017 Drivers

Started by Penfold, March 04, 2017, 12:43:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penfold

Quote from: ChrillIt is about time. I mean, we've already had a race this year.

The fact is, silly season is already starting with rumours linking Max Verstappen to Red Bull and Ferrari. In turn, Ricciardo is rumoured to join Ferrari too. How about a Vettel-Ricciardo pairing at Ferrari and a Kvyat-Verstappen at Red Bull? Will post a decent chart later. Maybe today, maybe tomorrow, maybe in June.

EDIT: Right, here we go. Order as based on current standings:

Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team:
44. Lewis Hamilton (source)
14. Fernando Alonso (source)
19. Felipe Massa (source)
46. Valentino Rossi (source)
77. Valtteri Bottas (source)
94. Pascal Wehrlein (source)

Red Bull Racing:
3. Daniel Ricciardo (source)
33. Max Verstappen (source)

Scuderia Ferrari:
5. Sebastian Vettel (source)
7. Kimi Raikkonen (source)

Sahara Force India Formula One Team:
11. Sergio Perez (source)
31. Esteban Ocon (source)

Williams Martini Racing:
18. Lance Stroll (source)

McLaren Honda Formula 1 Team:
2. Stoffel Vandoorne (source)

Scuderia Toro Rosso:
55. Carlos Sainz, Jr. (source)
26. Daniil Kvyat (source)

Haas F1 Team:
8. Romain Grosjean (source)
20. Kevin Magnussen (source)

Renault Sport Formula One Team:
27. Nico Hülkenberg (source)
30. Jolyon Palmer (source)

Sauber F1 Team:
9. Marcus Ericsson (source)
12. Felipe Nasr (source)
13. Pastor Maldonado (source)
?. Antonio Giovinazzi (source)

Manor Racing MRT:
12. Felipe Nasr (source)
13. Pastor Maldonado (source)
21. Esteban Gutiérrez (source)
88. Rio Haryanto (source)
?. Jordan King (source)

I like to give a season at least two races before speculating wildly about the next year....

Quote from: ChrillNo. You're wrong.

That there be fighting talk!

Quote from: ChundlahChrill just can't wait to predict that Button will lose his seat. Eventually he'll be right...

Quote from: ChrillIt will happen some day.

Might even be next year given Stoffel's performance in Bahrain.

Quote from: ChrillHere's a very first edition of the 2017 Drivers table. I've only added drivers as Confirmed if the source is reliable enough, and I've only added rumours to which I've found a good source. Grosjean or Bottas to Ferrari isn't on the list for that reason.

6. Nico Rosberg (source)

Scuderia Ferrari:

Red Bull Racing:

Williams Martini Racing:
22. Jenson Button (source)

Haas F1 Team:

Scuderia Toro Rosso:

47. Stoffel Vandoorne (source)

Sauber F1 Team:

Manor Racing MRT:

Quote from: ChrillHere we go again. My boss, who once said "Marcus Ericsson has a 2 year contract with Sauber" t way before media said anything about it has told me more stuff. You'll be surprised to hear Marcus is getting attention from 3 teams currently in the paddock:

Sauber (not strange, I suppose)
Williams (perhaps a bit more surprising)
McLaren (wait what?)

Sauber is apparently keen to maintain at least one of the two boys for 2017, preferably both considering their sponsorship. This is not a major surprise.

Williams is looking around in case Massa retires or Bottas moves on. If that happens, Ericsson and his money is supposedly one of the drivers they are looking at.

McLaren is apparently expecting Button to retire by this season and is worried Alonso may re-return to Renault. This would of course hand Stoffel one seat, but Marcus is possibly looking at the second one.

In addition to this, I would assume he would start negotiating for a reserve seat in a team if Sauber were to fold.

EDIT: And then there's the obvious link to Ferrari I made a few weeks ago.

Quote from: ChrillAdded the following:

Rosberg to Ferrari
Alonso to Mercedes
Verstappen, Ricciardo confirmed for Red Bull

6. Nico Rosberg (source)

Scuderia Ferrari:
6. Nico Rosberg (source)

Red Bull Racing:

Williams Martini Racing:
?. ---

Scuderia Toro Rosso:
?. ---
?. ---

Haas F1 Team:
?. ---
?. ---

?. ---

?. ---

?. ---
?. ---

Sauber F1 Team:
?. ---
?. ---

Manor Racing MRT:
?. ---
?. ---

Quote from: ChrillAdded Pierre Gasly to Toro Rosso.

Quote from: ChundlahWerlhein tested again for Mercedes in Barcelona, reckon that they'll slot him in if the Rosberg / Hamilton partnership becomes untenable?

Quote from: ChrillVery possible, just need a source saying it is a possibility ;)

EDIT: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/05/19/f1-fanatic-round-up-1905-2/
And there's the source. Wehrlein added to Mercedes.
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Quote from: ChrillI'm at work. I am bored. I will assemble a list of 2017 with my guesses and my ideas. I will go a little bit overboard, replacing drivers when there's a 50-50 chance of them staying put. Any 50-50 situations, I will judge in favor of what brings about most change.

1. Nico Rosberg
44. Lewis Hamilton

Scuderia Ferrari:
5. Sebastian Vettel
7. Kimi Räikkönen

Red Bull Racing:
3. Daniel Ricciardo
33. Max Verstappen

Williams Martini Racing:
22. Jenson Button
77. Valtteri Bottas

Scuderia Toro Rosso:
55. Carlos Sainz Jr
?. Pierre Gasly

Haas F1 Team:
21. Esteban Gutiérrez
53. Alexander Rossi

9. Marcus Ericsson
11. Sergio Pérez

14. Fernando Alonso
47. Stoffel Vandoorne

8. Romain Grosjean
20. Kevin Magnussen

Sauber F1 Team:
13. Pastor Maldonado
?. Sergey Sirotkin

Manor Racing MRT:
12. Felipe Nasr
94. Pascal Wehrlein

Right. Now I shall motivate, team by team:

Mercedes - Well, why would they replace anyone?
Ferrari - I think Kimi will remain. He seems happier than in a long time.
Red Bull - Ricciardo isn't going anywhere. Neither is Verstappen.
Williams - Well, Felipe Massa ended up retiring against his will. Sorry.
Toro Rosso - Well, Kvyat is not remaining. Gasly is the only Red Bull junior capable of stepping up at the moment.
Haas - Oh come on. Rossi won the Indy 500. HUGE marketing opportunity for Haas.
Force India - Since the Hulk is sick of F1 and will race in the Le Mans series, Marcus brings enough money for Mallya to sign him.
McLaren - Stoffel needs to drive in 2017. That's all.
Renault - Grosjean returns. He's French. Palmer is not good enough for F1. Magnussen is.
Sauber - OK, so Venezuela does get the money needed for a drive. Sauber needs money. They sign Crashtor and a rich Russian kid. Sirotkin is doing well in GP2 actually.
Manor - Well, Nasr is not necessarily going here but he has the money to join Manor. Wehrlein stays, courtesy of no room in Mercedes yet.

The Return of Maldonado???  Venezuela doesn't have the money for toilet paper right now....

Most of the rest is perfectly reasonable supposition.

Quote from: ChrillWell, yes, but I could imagine them taking some money out of healthcare of street cleaning to fund Maldonado. It's all about priorities, you know.

If he isn't joining Sauber, who would? They need money. Nasr and Ericsson both had 2 year contracts. Nasr has spoken in public about wanting to leave the Sauber team (but I'm not sure many teams want him...). Ericsson has also spoken about wanting to move higher up the grid, although claiming he would be happy to do so with Sauber. At least Ericsson has improved his position with some very strong consistent driving this season (except Monaco...)

[quote aauthor=Chrill]I just had a chat with my boss, who attended the Monaco GP. He's a good friend of Eje Elgh, who's the manager/advisor for Marcus Ericsson. He spent sunday evening with them and got some juicy gossip regarding the Sauber incident:

Monisha Kaltenborn herself went on radio to tell Nasr to move over. Nasr verbally accepted the request.
Nasr was first told to move over 8 laps before the incident, and was told every lap up to the crash.
Ericsson was told that he could make a move anywhere, and that Nasr had confirmed he would move aside.
Ericsson made a dive in Rascasse assuming Nasr would simply move away, as he had been informed. Well, we know how that went.

In the Sauber garage, the mechanics are supposedly not backing Nasr anymore. They are backing Marcus.

Marcus is in talks with Williams and Force India for 2017, but not currently with Sauber. His backers have all agreed to continue backing him for next season, so his sponsorship is not waning. Marcus would replace Massa or Hülkenberg.[/quote]

Some most interesting titbits from your man on the inside.  Keep them coming.

Would Marcus to Williams signal Button's retirement... and how certain are you that Hulk is poised to leave F1?

Quote from: Chrill
Quote from: Penfold
Would Marcus to Williams signal Button's retirement... and how certain are you that Hulk is poised to leave F1?
Marcus to Williams would indeed signal Button's retirement. My boss claims Button is "definitely not" continuing in 2017. I'm not so sure about that, but he does have ties to McLaren (or rather, to a man who's a good friend to Ron Dennis, so his information is second hand at best).
Hulk isn't bringing sufficient sponsorship. Perez is, so he can easily stay at Force India if he wants to. Marcus comes with a pretty decent chunk of money too, so he's attractive to any midfield team really.

Some most interesting titbits from your man on the inside.  Keep them coming.

You gotcha. Remember how Nasr got a new chassis for Russia? Well, he was complaining in a meeting about how the car was undriveable and it was supposedly a bit of a heated exchange of words between Nasr and some senior mechanic. Ericsson interrupted with "Well take my fucking car, I'll take yours, and we'll see if there is a problem at all!!". Nasr quietly turned down the offer, and got a new car for Russia which didn't really do much of a difference. The Brazilian and the Swede hasn't been getting along at all since sometime around mid-season 2015. They're not just rivals, they really loathe one another.

Quote from: MattNasr started off last season more impressively, but now Ericsson looks better. Could the difference be largely that the team has come to favor Ericsson?

Also, Perez has been highly impressive for Force India. Hulkenberg has been rather unlucky. It's hard to pick between the two, but if I could only have one, Perez might be the choice even without sponsorship. I don't think Hulkenberg is overrated, but Perez has always been underrated.

Quote from: ChrillWell, from my personal view Ericsson's approach to a race weekend has changed. He seems confident in what he can and can't do, he's more capable to remain near the limit without stepping over it (*cough* Monaco *cough*) and his way to attack a racing weekend is different. He is almost always slower than Nasr on the Friday, FP1 and FP2. Come FP3, he is matching him. Come quali, he is beating him. Come race, he is destroying him. This approach to a race weekend has helped him build confidence in what the car can do, making him calmer and not as prone to overdoing it.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Quote from: ChrillMercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team:
6. Nico Rosberg (source)

Scuderia Ferrari:
6. Nico Rosberg (source)
55. Carlos Sainz Jr. (source)

Red Bull Racing:

Williams Martini Racing:

?. ---

Scuderia Toro Rosso:
?. ---
?. ---

?. ---

Haas F1 Team:
?. ---
?. ---

?. ---
?. ---

Sauber F1 Team:
?. ---
?. ---

Manor Racing MRT:
?. ---
?. ---

Updated a few sources, mainly Button and Vandoorne.

Quote from: ChundlahI wouldn't mind seeing Button back at Williams, something quite nice about his F1 career coming full circle and finishing there.  Plus it should be a competitive car as they are already concentrating on the 2017 model.  Interesting that there isn't even a rumoured seat for Bottas anywhere - even at Williams - his career seems in danger of stalling...

Bottas keeping all things crossed that Ferrari ditch Kimi but maintain their current Finn quota; also, we've got some very hazy rumours linking Massa with Renault.

Quote from: ChrillI'd quite enjoy a Massa-Renault source, thankyouverymuch!
EDIT: neverminds, here is a source!
http://www.grandprix247.com/2016/06/03/massa-i-have-the-chance-to-continue-in-williams/

In regards to Bottas, I think he simply isn't really looking likely to move. I could see him remaining at Williams once more.

Quote from: ChrillNow silly season is getting proper silly. Sergio Perez to Ferrari for 2017, but perhaps also this year with Ferrari ousting Raikkonen mid-season to bring Perez onboard. Allow me to laugh. Still, it's going on the list.

Arrivabene hints at an unchanged lineup for 2017:
http://www.grandprix247.com/2016/06/08/arrivabene-says-raikkonen-and-vettel-ideal-for-2017/

Lance Stroll linked to Williams:
http://www.grandprix247.com/2016/06/09/stroll-massa-and-bottas-contracts-are-expiring-this-year/

Quote from: ChrillCarlos Sainz linked to Renault:
http://www.grandprix247.com/2016/06/13/vasseur-sainz-is-a-very-interesting-driver-for-the-future/

Updated table:

6. Nico Rosberg (source)

Scuderia Ferrari:
6. Nico Rosberg (source)

Red Bull Racing:

Williams Martini Racing:
9. Marcus Ericsson (source) [SE]
?. Lance Stroll (source)

?. ---

Scuderia Toro Rosso:
?. Pierre Gasly (source)

?. ---

Haas F1 Team:
?. ---
?. ---

Sauber F1 Team:
?. ---

Manor Racing MRT:
?. ---
?. ---

Can't imagine Merc not keeping current line-up.

Quote from: ChrillThey reported some issue, with Rosberg demanding a longer term contract and Mercedes disagreeing. Lewis has two years remaining, they don't want to terminate two contracts same year and they don't want to sign Nico for 3. Nico doesn't want to sign for just 1 year.

Rumours are now claiming a two-year extension has been agreed to anyway. That would keep Wehrlein away from Mercedes until at least the 2019 season which is a few years away indeed.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Ferrari has re-signed Kimi for 2017, and going from the comment at end of following article Perez will likely be with FI next year, so that tidies up your list somewhat: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/36743409

Quote from: ChrillDefinitely. Update below. With Ferrari retaining Kimi, I could see most moves being postponed to 2018. Red Bull won't change drivers, doubt Mercedes will. I've added Perez and Raikkonen as confirmed to Force India and Ferrari respectively, therefore locking those two teams out of speculation. I've added Nasr to Sauber as a rumoured candidate alongside the son of Eric. I've also marked Pascal Wehrlein as potentially remaining with Manor, and Esteban Ocon is now rumoured for a Renault drive. Also provided a better source for Bottas-Williams in 2017.

6. Nico Rosberg (source)

Scuderia Ferrari:

Red Bull Racing:

Williams Martini Racing:
?. Lance Stroll (source)

Scuderia Toro Rosso:
?. ---

?. ---

Haas F1 Team:
?. ---
?. ---

?. Esteban Ocon (source)

Manor Racing MRT:
?. ---

Sauber F1 Team:
12. Felipe Nasr (source)

Quote from: MattWho does Red Bull have next in line if they drop Kvyat? I don't think his prospects of staying look great right now. He hasn't rebounded since being pushed to STR.

I'm fairly confident Grosjean will stay at Haas, although there are no sources for that. Gutierrez's connections likely will keep him there too. I don't see any reason why they would add driver instability over their first offseason when there haven't been any problems with who they've got.

Quote from: ChundlahI guess that Pierre Gasly would have a strong case for a Toro Rosso drive were he to win GP2 this year. It would be tough on Kyvat to be dropped completely from the Red Bull program, I think if he has a decent off-season then he can probably rebuild...

Quote from: ChrillYes, Gasly is next in line but he hasn't been dominating in GP2 despite this being his third year. He doesn't appear to be a new Vettel/Ricciardo/Verstappen. Honestly, I'd prefer Toro Rosso keeping Sainz and drifting in an outsider. How about Oliver Rowland? This is his first full season in GP2 and he's beating Gasly narrowly so far.

EDIT: I see Rowland is part of the Renault family. Ah well, those things can be taken care of.

Toro Rosso switches back to Renault engines next year....

Quote from: ChrillWell there you go. Unless of course Renault might find a spot for him in their own cars. They would want someone with experience, so maybe keep Magnussen and slot in Rowland or Ocon next to the Dane? Or kick out the Dane, bring in Felipe Massa. Massa may have to move out of the way for Jenson Button.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

6. Nico Rosberg (source)

Scuderia Ferrari:

Red Bull Racing:

Williams Martini Racing:
?. Lance Stroll (source)

Scuderia Toro Rosso:
?. Sérgio Sette Câmara (source)

?. ---

Haas F1 Team:
?. ---
?. ---

?. Esteban Ocon (source)

Manor Racing MRT:
?. ---

Sauber F1 Team:
12. Felipe Nasr (source)

Added Sergio Sette Camara to Toro Rosso.

Can't see Grosjean going anywhere new for 2017, but team obviously not said a word about driver line-up.

Quote from: ChrillI see Grosjean maybe moving back to Renault but I've heard no talk of such a move. Haas would logically want to keep him, although I have been unimpressed by his racecraft apart from the first 2-3 races.

I suppose GP2 driver Jordan King is a possibility for Manor, what with his father being Chairman and a shareholder of the team.

I suppose GP2 driver Jordan King is a possibility for Manor, what with his father being Chairman and a shareholder of the team.

Abdullah II is the Jordan king.

I thought that was Eddie Jordan.

Quote from: ChrillWell. I went to Google to find an article about Jordan King and gave me the actual Jordan king. Which is Abdullah.

Rosberg confirmed at Mercedes

Quote from: MattEricsson needs to stop crashing.

Quote from: ChrillYes. But this isn't the topic for discussing the current season :p

This is the topic to discuss that Bottas may be replaced by Lance Stroll next year!
http://www.grandprix247.com/2016/07/24/bottas-future-uncertain-at-williams/

Well he's leading Euro F3 right now, he's already the Williams development driver - plus his dad has a few bob to sweeten the deal - so yeah, I could picture Stroll moving up next year.  Pair him with Button or keep Bottas?

Quote from: ChrillButton, it says. Button or Massa. This would force Bottas away from Williams. To be fair, the Finn has had a less than stellar two (well, one and a half) seasons.

It does indeed say Button, and I'd prefer him to Bottas or Massa, but the Finn isn't out of the door quite yet - Renault if he does leave?

Quote from: ChrillYou are making an unusual amount of sense today, Penny boy. I could see Bottas joining a works team like Renault indeed. I could also see him joining Sauber if they no longer need to maintain Banco do Brasil sponsorship.

Went for a run this morning, 50 mins and fairly warm, maybe it exhausted the stupid out of me?

Quote from: ChrillThat must be it. Before we know it, you'll be the President of the UN. Oh good times.

Quote from: Chundlah
You are making an unusual amount of sense today, Penny boy.
Went for a run this morning, 50 mins and fairly warm, maybe it exhausted the stupid out of me?

I don't think you ran long enough for that...

Quote from: MattNo idea how reliable this source is, but here you go: http://www.thisisf1.com/2016/07/26/kvyat-set-for-red-bull-racing-split/

Kvyat out, Gasly most likely to replace him. Kvyat on the Williams shortlist.

Quote from: ChrillWho'd sign Kvyat? Williams can do better. Heck, signing Michael Schumacher for 2017 would be better.

Quote from: MattToo soon.

Quote from: Chrill:)
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Quote from: MattYou need to add Perez to Renault. Also, Rosberg signed his extension, which you had in your last post but not this one.

Quote from: ChrillAdded Valtteri Bottas and Sebastien Buemi to Renault, added Pascal Wehrlein to Force India and Haas.

Ugh, silly Chrilly. He updated from an old post.

OK, here's a new one. I also removed Ericsson's sources for other teams since I've heard some pretty loud whispers of him remaining at Sauber (surely linked to Sauber being a Swedish F1 team disguised as Swiss).

I've decided to let Alonso be confirmed at McLaren, added a rumour for Button to McLaren (which is logical to have on the list). Added Grosjean, Gutierrez and Leclerc for Haas rumours. Added Perez to Renault as requested. Added Jordan King to Manor.

6. Nico Rosberg (source)

Red Bull Racing:

Scuderia Ferrari:

Williams Martini Racing:
?. Lance Stroll (source)

Scuderia Toro Rosso:

Haas F1 Team:
21. Esteban Gutierrez (source)
?. Charles Leclerc (source)

?. Sebastien Buemi (source)
?. Esteban Ocon (source)
?. Sergey Sirotkin (source)

Manor Racing MRT:
?. Jordan King (source)

Sauber F1 Team:
12. Felipe Nasr (source)

Quote from: Chrillhttp://www.grandprix247.com/2016/08/30/williams-and-bottas-set-to-announce-two-year-deal/

Some strong Bottas-Button rumours at Williams. This implies that Massa has to say goodbye to Formula 1 at the end of this season, but Button gets to continue at his old team Williams. McLaren would logically pick up Stoffel then.

Quote from: ChrillI'd guess the 2017 lineup looks a little something like this:

6. Nico Rosberg
44. Lewis Hamilton

Red Bull Racing:
3. Daniel Ricciardo
33. Max Verstappen

Scuderia Ferrari:
5. Sebastian Vettel
7. Kimi Raikkonen

Williams Martini Racing:
22. Jenson Button
77. Valtteri Bottas

27. Nico Hülkenberg
94. Pascal Wehrlein

Scuderia Toro Rosso:
55. Carlos Sainz, Jr.
?. Pierre Gasly

14. Fernando Alonso
47. Stoffel Vandoorne

Haas F1 Team:
8. Romain Grosjean
21. Esteban Gutierrez

11. Sergio Perez
20. Kevin Magnussen

Manor Racing MRT:
31. Esteban Ocon
?. Jordan King

Sauber F1 Team:
9. Marcus Ericsson
?. Jean-Éric Vergne

I'm kicking out the Nasr and bringing in a Vergne (which may well turn out to be Nasr, but I don't think Sauber enjoys Nasr-Ericsson in the same team). There's some real bad blood there and they are not pulling in the same direction at all.

I'm also kicking out the Massa and swapping Button for the Vandoorne.

Also ta ta Kvyat, you're not mentally fit for this sport. Gasly isn't fast enough but he's there because someone has to drive that car.

Quote from: ChrillMassa has announced his retirement so there's that.

I've heard rumours that Button has rejected the offer put forth from Williams, so the British team may turn to Lance Stroll or Felipe Nasr instead.

I can't say it's a shock to hear of Massa's retirement, I mean he seems to have dropped off the pace somewhat this season - plus he probably knew his seat at Williams was gone.

Hmm, Nasr, well with such a string of stellar performances this year he clearly deserves an upgrade....

Quote from: ChrillI've heard some whispers of Jean-Eric Vergne to Renault. I mean, he's French and Grosjean is staying at Haas (is that confirmed? I think it might be) so it would make sense. No reliable sources to post though

When asked by Autosport if [Grosjean] knows what he'll be doing next season in terms of a race seat, [he] said: "I am quite confident, yes. How can I put it? I'm pretty sure I can improve my American pronunciation."

Perez staying at force India 2017. Rumors making the rounds that Button will retire after this season.

Stoffel replacing Button for 2017, now confirmed.
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/09/03/mclaren-confirms-vandoorne-will-replace-button-2017/

Lots happening this weekend then.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

6. Nico Rosberg (source)

Red Bull Racing:

Scuderia Ferrari:

Williams Martini Racing:
?. Lance Stroll (source)

Scuderia Toro Rosso:
26. Daniil Kvyat (source

Haas F1 Team:

Manor Racing MRT:
?. Jordan King (source)

Sauber F1 Team:
12. Felipe Nasr (source)

Removed Button and Massa from various teams. Confirmed Romain Grosjean at Haas and Stoffel Vandoorne at McLaren. I have not confirmed Perez at Force India since I can't find a reliable source, although the Swedish broadcast of qualifying confirmed that the papers had been signed for the Mexican's sponsors to stay with Force India next season.

Quote from: MattHappy about both Massa and Button moving on. They've both had very good careers, but they were never on the level of guys like Alonso, Hamilton, or Vettel. Massa was also never quite the same after his accident. They've both been around forever and it was time to open up some seats.

Quote from: ChrillIndeed. Vandoorne is already confirmed to replace Button, and Lance Stroll is supposedly in the running to replace Massa. Having them both replaced by rookies seems like a refreshing choice to me.

Quote from: Chrillhttp://www.grandprix247.com/2016/09/08/renault-set-to-confirm-ocon-for-2017-race-seat/
Ocon set to be confirmed for Renault in 2017. Possibly ousting Palmer and keeping Magnussen onboard.

http://www.grandprix247.com/2016/09/08/perez-to-stay-at-force-india-as-carlos-slim-looks-to-buy-force-india/
Perez seems set to remain at Force India, because Carlos Slim might just buy the team. Force Mexico? :D

Trying to think how many times Carly Slim has been tipped to buy FI.

Quote from: ChrillWell, this went all silent. Not many rumours swirling around after Monza. I thought we would finally get some answers when McLaren made their decision. Williams are logically "up next".

I spoke too soon.

Finnish newspaper reporting that Lance Stroll to Williams race seat is a done deal:
http://www.thisisf1.com/2016/09/21/lance-stroll-signs-williams-f1-deal-for-2017/

I've been assuming Stroll would get the nod ever since Button dropped out of the running, not least because the only other likely candidate is Nasr....

I've been assuming Stroll would get the nod ever since Button dropped out of the running, not least because the only other likely candidate is Nasr....
I would've been OK with Kvyat joining Williams. He could resurrect his F1 career by going up against, and beating, Bottas.

Had this feeling Williams would go down the wealthy/heavily sponsored driver route unless they could pick up Button on the cheap, so that was Perez/Stroll/Nasr for seat no. 2.

If Kvyat can build on his Singapore showing he may just keep his place at Toro Rosso.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Quote from: ChrillSainz and Ocon favorites for Renault drive, Magnussen and Palmer also "under consideration"??
http://www.grandprix247.com/2016/09/21/sainz-and-ocon-favourites-for-renault-drive-in-2017/

Some updates, including Ocon + Sainz to Renault, Nasr to Williams, and Ericsson to Renault or Williams. Also new link for Lance Stroll to Williams.

6. Nico Rosberg (source)

Red Bull Racing:

Scuderia Ferrari:

Williams Martini Racing:
12. Felipe Nasr (source)
?. Lance Stroll (source)

Scuderia Toro Rosso:
26. Daniil Kvyat (source

Haas F1 Team:

Manor Racing MRT:
?. Jordan King (source)

Sauber F1 Team:
12. Felipe Nasr (source)

That's quite some list for Renault.  Came as something of a surprise to hear Sainz being hotly tipped to join them, just assumed he was staying at Toro Rosso for another year, but with Max & Dan ensconced at Red Bull it makes sense to look for another route up the grid.

Quote from: ChrillWell, Sainz has been confirmed at Toro Rosso but would probably be a cheap one to buy for Renault. He's also proven his worth by battling it out with Verstappen before destroying Kvyat.

He's the best one on their (your) list of potential drivers - I'm ignoring Perez because I simply can't imagine him leaving Force India for Renault.  Surely can't be long before we get some more confirmations, perhaps Williams will get the ball (st)rolling....

Toro Rosso keeping a firm grip on Sainz: http://www.grandprix247.com/2016/09/27/tost-red-bull-will-not-let-sainz-go-to-another-team/

Haas not interested in running a rookie next year: http://www.grandprix247.com/2016/09/29/no-rookie-drivers-for-haas-in-2017/

So that takes 'It is I' (aka C. Leclerc) off the table.

Quote from: ChrillI think Perez might drive a Haas car next year. He'd a sign a 1-year contract and do what Grosjean failed to do (replace Kimi at Ferrari).

... so then Wehrlein to Force India or someone who can bring them a hefty amount of cash/sponsors?

Quote from: ChrillGiedo van der Garde? I've heard some people say Marcus Ericsson is fishing for a Force India seat, but I still firmly believe he will be confirmed at Sauber.

End of speculation as Perez will stay put for 2017: http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/17683228/sergio-perez-confirms-with-force-india-2017
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

6. Nico Rosberg (source)

Red Bull Racing:

Scuderia Ferrari:

Williams Martini Racing:
12. Felipe Nasr (source)
?. Lance Stroll (source)

Scuderia Toro Rosso:
26. Daniil Kvyat (source
?. Pierre Gasly (source)

Haas F1 Team:

Manor Racing MRT:
?. Jordan King (source)

Sauber F1 Team:
12. Felipe Nasr (source)

Added Perez to Force India, removed him from the rest. Added Gasly (finally) as rumoured for Toro Rosso.

Quote from: ChrillEricsson implies he'll stay on for another year with Sauber:
http://www.grandprix247.com/2016/10/06/ericsson-sauber-is-my-best-option-at-the-moment/

http://www.grandprix247.com/2016/10/06/kvyat-set-for-two-year-extension/
Kvyat set to remain with Toro Rosso.

This implies one of two things:
1) Sainz is leaving the Red Bull family, possibly for Renault
2) Red Bull feel that they have no talented enough drivers in junior ranks at the moment, and that Kvyat is a better option. Which would be sad considering how hard Red Bull are working to promote junior drivers.

Leaning towards no. 2.  Gasly is top of their driver programme but perhaps he's not quite ready for F1, especially with next year's cars potentially four to five seconds/lap faster.  On that, Sainz saying that drivers will have to up their training to cope in 2017: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/10/06/drivers-need-train-hard-2017-sainz/

Now we have Hulk being tipped for a move to Renault: http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns35000.html

Quote from: ChrillHere's the latest:

Renault:
Hulkenberg
Ocon

Force India:
Perez
Wehrlein

That'd mean byebye for both Magnussen and Palmer. Magnussen might drive a Manor car next year, but I've heard only whispers and nothing concrete.

Hulk shuffles off to Renault: https://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/126644/hulkenberg-agrees-deal-with-renault-for-2017

Quote from: ChrillIndeed he does. Wehrlein or Ocon to fill that seat, most likely. If not, perhaps there's room for K-Mag or Felipe Nasr. Nasr brings decent backing but, lets be honest, is being outpaced by Ericsson. I rate Ericsson low, so Nasr even lower.

Jordan King is eyeing a Manor drive in 2017. Might get a link and add him to the speculation. He's driving FP1 in Austin.

Nasr at Force India... sounds like a waste of a perfectly good seat.

Quote from: ChrillVery much so. Will be interesting to see how we rate everyone come the end of the season. I'll try putting the numbers together and get an average for every driver.

I've given Oates (who for some reason insists on calling himself 'Nasr') a seven, several fives, a bunch of fours, and a two.  Doesn't strike me that those numbers will combine in a favourable manner....

Quote from: ChrillCan't be bothered to do the maths now, the Excel document is not on this computer. I guess you'll end up around 4.2ish with those numbers. Only Haryanto is lower, now that Kvyat has improved from his steady 4.000 rating.

Quote from: MattIf Magnussen isn't retained, possibly going to IndyCar: http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/135564-indycar-magnussen-in-frame-at-andretti

Good for him.  Renault team principal making it sound like KMag is some way down their list of candidates so F1 future certainly looking shaky.

On Stroll... I did see a piece suggesting Williams Martini Racing is holding off on confirming his place until after he turns eighteen on 29th October.

Quote from: ChrillYup. Which will be somewhere around the Mexican GP, so one week from now.

Kvyat to Force India?
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/kvyat-says-red-bull-the-priority-amid-force-india-talk-840772/?s=1
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Quote from: ChrillRight. Kvyat secures some Russian flag colours as well. I've also assembled some Force India hopefuls. I could only find Portuguese and Swedish media for sourcing, but I have strong reasons to believe Nasr will drive the other Force India car. AFAIK, it's currently a Nasr vs. Ocon situation for the other Force India car.

6. Nico Rosberg (source)

Red Bull Racing:

Scuderia Ferrari:

12. Felipe Nasr (source) (PT)
?. Felix Rosenqvist (source)

Williams Martini Racing:
12. Felipe Nasr (source)
?. Lance Stroll (source)

Scuderia Toro Rosso:

Haas F1 Team:

Manor Racing MRT:
?. Jordan King (source)

Sauber F1 Team:
12. Felipe Nasr (source)

So leaning towards money trumping talent for that spare Force India seat, but then given their limited budget that may well be for the beast.  It is odd, however, that Nasr seems to have gone backwards compared to 2015... perhaps he's fast(ish) in a decent car but suffers disproportionately if driving something of a dog?  Or has Ericsson stepped it up, and Nasr's 2015 performance was merely flattered by his teammate's poor showing?

Quote from: ChrillEricsson was in mentally bad shape at the start of 2015 and got it all wrong. Mid-2015, he changed his approach to the race weekends. Since then he has been beating Nasr really. I think Nasr and Ericsson both showed glimpses of good driving in GP2 but neither were ever championship contenders. They are simply not the best drivers in F1, but Nasr is arguably the worst non-rookie this season. If the Brazilian prolongs his F1 career in Force India, he will probably not stand a chance against Perez and only beat him in a few races over the whole season.

If someone asked me to oust 3 drivers in F1, both Sauber drivers would have to go. I'd happily welcome Felix Rosenqvist and Robin Frijns!

Added an English speaking Nasr -> Force India source, but kept the Portuguese as well. Not that we speak Portuguese.

Quote from: ChrillOh you know how I do it. I'm finding all sorts of sources. THIS ONE IS FROM INDONESIA and translated through Google. Why am I doing this? Because it links another Swede to the available seat at Force India. That's correct, Felix Rosenqvist. I have heard whispers of Mercedes working to bring him into F1 and Force India does have a free spot.

https://goo.gl/HGpvMK (shortened URL because Google Translate had a loooong link)

I'd say Felix Rosenqvist is arguably third in rank amongst Mercedes juniors after Wehrlein and Ocon. I could only see this happening if Ocon was bought by Renault, in which case Wehrlein-Rosenqvist would make sense for F1 but the Swede would logically go to Manor with Wehrlein driving the Force India. Still, I'll put it on the board.

Quote from: Chundlah
Chrill just can't wait to predict that Button will lose his seat. Eventually he'll be right...
Hah.

Righty then. English language source for Felix Rosenqvist now. That's actually as legit as they come.
http://m.crash.net/f1/news/234726/1/perez-hulkenberg-strongest-teammate-ive-had-in-f1.html

But he's the not the only Swede going for a Force India drive:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/126831/ericsson-eyes-vacant-force-india-seat

Wouldn't mind seeing Rosenqvist in F1, would be simpler if he had Ericsson's financial backers... same goes for Frijns, need to save him from Formula E.

Bottas to stay at Williams, though not sure there's been an official announcement - think that'll be after Mexico by when Stroll will have turned eighteen.

Quote from: ChrillYup, they're probably being announced together this weekend or the start of next week. Most likely Stroll will choose the number 18 for his car since it used to be his number through the earlier years before Formula 3.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Quote from: ChrillPalmer to Sauber? Magnussen to Haas? Vergne to Renault if Ocon, Wehrlein, Bottas, etc. don't deliver?
http://www.grandprix247.com/2016/10/27/no-rush-haas-nasr-to-force-india-palmer-to-sauber/

With the above, and some other links, I've added several potentials for various seats, among them the bottom teams like Sauber and Manor:

6. Nico Rosberg (source)

Red Bull Racing:

Scuderia Ferrari:

12. Felipe Nasr (source)
?. Felix Rosenqvist (source) (2)

Williams Martini Racing:
12. Felipe Nasr (source)
?. Alex Lynn (source)
?. Lance Stroll (source)

Scuderia Toro Rosso:

Haas F1 Team:

?. Jean-Éric Vergne (source)

Manor Racing MRT:
?. Jordan King (source)

Sauber F1 Team:
12. Felipe Nasr (source)

Force India second seat will go on talent not money: http://www.f1hub.net/index.php/mexican-gp/force-india-not-keen-on-pay-driver-for-2017/11484/

Quote from: ChrillSo not Nasr then. I'd say perhaps it's going to Wehrlein or Ocon then.

They seem the most likely.  Both have ties with Mercedes so side benefit for Force India could be a few million off their engine costs....

Quote from: ChrillOr maybe Rosenqvist !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd love to see him in F1. I'm confident he'd lose out to Perez in the first half of the season, but I'm sure he'd catch up and match him come mid-season.

Felix, Ocon or Wehrlein would be fine by me, probably the first two ahead of Pascal by whom I've been rather underwhelmed.

Quote from: ChrillK-Mag to Haas?

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/magnussen-receives-offer-to-join-haas-in-2017-844811/

They were talking about that on Sunday's coverage, and also Gutierrez was talking up his chances of staying in F1.  Thing is, K-Mag not exactly blowing Palmer out of the water right now so don't really know what Haas sees in him - okay, obviously he's way ahead of Gutierrez's level but that's by no means unique.

Quote from: MattIt's possible that both Magnussen and Palmer are actually good. The Renault may just be that bad.

Off topic, but some former F1 driver news: Montoya announced that he will be staying with Penske for the Indy 500 only and will not be running a full schedule. Rumors still expect that he'll end up driving for a forthcoming Penske prototype in IMSA. Meanwhile, Sato turned his Honda support and Panasonic sponsorship into a ride at Andretti for the full season, replacing Munoz. That is expected to be a ride swap, with Munoz taking Sato's place at Foyt.

Quote from: ChrillBottas and Stroll confirmed at Williams:
http://www.grandprix247.com/2016/11/03/stroll-and-bottas-confirmed-by-williams/
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Quote from: ChrillWilliams confirmed. Good stuff. I expect lots of confirmation to start coming through soon.

6. Nico Rosberg (source)

Red Bull Racing:

Scuderia Ferrari:

12. Felipe Nasr (source)

Williams Martini Racing:
?. Lance Stroll (source)

Scuderia Toro Rosso:

Haas F1 Team:

?. Jean-Éric Vergne (source)

Manor Racing MRT:
?. Jordan King (source)

Sauber F1 Team:
12. Felipe Nasr (source)

Quote from: Matt on November 01, 2016, 07:43:36 AM
It's possible that both Magnussen and Palmer are actually good. The Renault may just be that bad.

Which means at least one of them must stay in F1 for us to judge.

Quote from: ChrillRumours claim Ocon has emerged as the front runner for a Force India seat. Wehrlein would then remain at Manor for 2017. Renault seat still up for grabs.

K-Mag supposedly signing a deal with Haas, ousting Gutierrez.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/magnussen-agrees-haas-switch-for-2017-847812/?s=1

And suddenly Palmer will be confirmed for Renault tomorrow or Friday.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/palmer-secures-second-renault-f1-seat-for-2017-847909/

Palmer confirmed at Renault: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/11/09/renault-keeps-palmer-2017/

With K-Mag swooping into Haas, what now for Gutierrez?  Was his optimism for racing next season misplaced or is there a seat in the offing... Manor?

Quote from: ChrillSwedish media is saying Gutierrez will replace Felipe Nasr at Sauber. Nasr headed for Manor alongside Wehrlein.

Right. Removing all those names connected to Renault and making Palmer fly the Union Jack.

6. Nico Rosberg (source)

Red Bull Racing:

Scuderia Ferrari:

12. Felipe Nasr (source)

Williams Martini Racing:
?. Lance Stroll (source)

Scuderia Toro Rosso:

Haas F1 Team:

Manor Racing MRT:
?. Jordan King (source)

Sauber F1 Team:
12. Felipe Nasr (source)

Quote from: Chrill on November 10, 2016, 01:11:51 AM
Swedish media is saying Gutierrez will replace Felipe Nasr at Sauber. Nasr headed for Manor alongside Wehrlein.

Which way round is immaterial, so long as we're not losing their talent from F1....

Quote from: ChrillI'd prefer Jordan King at Manor and Antonio Giovinazzi at Sauber, and then Felix Rosenqvist at Force India.

They are but three of the drivers I'd pick ahead of Nasr & Guti.  But, you know, money....
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Quote from: ChrillThings are happening very fast now. Ocon confirmed at Force India for 2017. He has already overtaken Wehrlein, has he not? Interesting.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/11/10/ocons-force-india-switch-2017-confirmed/

So that's Mercedes, Red Bull, Ferrari, Force India, Williams, McLaren, Toro Rosso and Renault finished then.

6. Nico Rosberg (source)

Red Bull Racing:

Scuderia Ferrari:

Williams Martini Racing:
?. Lance Stroll (source)

Scuderia Toro Rosso:

Haas F1 Team:

Manor Racing MRT:
?. Jordan King (source)

Sauber F1 Team:
12. Felipe Nasr (source)

If we assume Magnussen goes to Haas and that Ericsson & Wehrlein stay put, then we are truly down to the dregs in terms of empty spots - one seat each at Sauber and Manor.  Nasr & Guti must top the list.

Quote from: Chrillhttp://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/gutierrez-confirms-haas-f1-exit-848467/?s=1

Esteban Gutierrez confirms he is not driving for Haas next year, effectively confirming that Magnussen has signed for the team. I expect a Magnussen confirmation within a few hours now.

Quote from: ChrillAnd I got one too.
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/haas-confirms-magnussen-alongside-grosjean-for-2017-848803/

Here's for a new table. Just waiting on Sauber and Manor now. Sauber have held out for Ericsson because he was in advanced negotiations with Force India from what I heard. In the end, Mercedes discounted engines at a higher rate than Ericsson offered sponsors, so Ocon got the drive.

Oh hey, I reworked Ricciardo's colours too. Looks a bit better now.

My fellow Swede confirmed at Sauber. Nasr not confirmed yet. Hmmmmm.

6. Nico Rosberg (source)

Red Bull Racing:

Scuderia Ferrari:

Williams Martini Racing:
?. Lance Stroll (source)

Scuderia Toro Rosso:

Haas F1 Team:

Manor Racing MRT:
?. Jordan King (source)

Sauber F1 Team:
12. Felipe Nasr (source)

Guess there is the slim chance that Nasr has done himself out of a drive by bagging two points worth approx. £30 million to Sauber next year....

Quote from: ChrillI think Nasr scoring those points might end up kicking him out. Gutierrez, albeit with a smaller wallet (assuming Nasr retains at least SOME sponsorship) would probably be a better fit for Sauber. Nasr-Ericsson is a nasty pairing. They loathe one another.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Quote from: ChrillI'm hearing some loud whispering that pascal wehrlein has signed up for Sauber. Ericsson is up for a good challenge in 2017, then.

EDIT: And a source to go with that.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/127221

Order as based on current standings:

6. Nico Rosberg (source)

Red Bull Racing:

Scuderia Ferrari:

Williams Martini Racing:
?. Lance Stroll (source)

Scuderia Toro Rosso:

Haas F1 Team:

Manor Racing MRT:
12. Felipe Nasr (source)
?. Jordan King (source)

Sauber F1 Team:
12. Felipe Nasr (source)

That would be a step up in quality for both Pascal and Sauber.

Quote from: MattYou should also re-order Sauber and Manor now, no?

Quote from: ChrillWell spotted, Rekart.

Erm, Wehrlein to Mercedes?  Or perhaps they should hire Button....

Quote from: MattIt seems like practically anything could happen. Almost every driver would leave their current team to go there right now, with a few exceptions. If Mercedes really does favor Ocon over Wehrlein now, for the most obvious example, I think Force India will be looking for a new driver.

Toto's phone must be ringing off the hook.  Established driver or a young gun, that is the question... or at least it's one of them.

Edit: The guy I'd most love to see take the spot is Alonso, you know, get the old pals back together.

Quote from: ChrillWait this was big. Probably Wehrlein will get the spot, but oh boy I'd love to see Mercedes taking in Alonso.

Ocon to Force India, was that because Mercedes already knew Rosberg had these plans?

I made a list. I always do. I've sorted all 2016 drivers into three categories for the seat vacated by Rosberg.

Actually possible:
Sebastian Vettel
Kimi Raikkonen
Sergio Perez
Romain Grosjean
Fernando Alonso
Esteban Ocon
Pascal Wehrlein
Daniel Ricciardo
Carlos Sainz Jr
Valtteri Bottas
Max Verstappen

Not available:
Nico Hülkenberg
Jenson Button
Stoffel Vandoorne
Felipe Massa

Not good enough:
Esteban Gutierrez
Rio Haryanto
Daniil Kvyat
Kevin Magnussen
Jolyon Palmer
Marcus Ericsson
Felipe Nasr

I'm trying to be generous in sorting drivers as Possible. With the above list, perhaps my top 5 bets could be these (in an attempt to order, but you never know...)

1. Pascal Wehrlein
2. Valtteri Bottas
3. Esteban Ocon
4. Carlos Sainz Jr
5. Basically the rest of them

Then again, they could just go for Nasr or Gutierrez on a one-year contract, throw their entire weight behind Hamilton for one season and then sort out a decent 2018 contract with Vettel, Alonso, Verstappen, Ricciardo, Sainz, or whoever is available then.

In extension, this could potentially open up for another Swede in F1. After Wehrlein and Ocon, Felix Rosenqvist is third in line as Mercedes junior. He might be driving a Manor if Wehrlein gets the nod to join the big team.

If we look at other drivers belonging to the Mercedes group outside F1, there's Gary Paffett, Paul di Resta, and Robert Wickens in DTM. Any of those three would be clear number 2 drivers but would probably provide solid second place finishes behind Lewis.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Quote from: ChrillRight. Let's start filling Mercedes with potentials.

Red Bull Racing:

Scuderia Ferrari:

Williams Martini Racing:
?. Lance Stroll (source)

Scuderia Toro Rosso:

Haas F1 Team:

Sauber F1 Team:
12. Felipe Nasr (source)

Manor Racing MRT:
12. Felipe Nasr (source)
?. Jordan King (source)

Quote from: ChrillDon't even care that this was meant as a bit of a giggle. I wanna throw Valentino Rossi into the mix!
http://www.grandprix247.com/2016/12/06/valentino-toto-wolff-has-my-number/

Briatore expects Alonso to stay with McLaren: http://www.grandprix247.com/2016/12/09/briatore-alonso-will-not-be-in-a-mercedes-in-2017/

Williams obviously want a seasoned driver alongside Stroll so I wonder just how much convincing it would take for them to let Bottas join Merc.

Quote from: ChrillFinnish media is reporting "Bottas to Mercedes" as an absolute done deal. Signed, sealed, awaiting delivery. I expect an announcement soon, because the delay is only hurting Mercedes. The problem is perhaps in who will replace Bottas at Williams. I am afraid it might be someone as pale as Felipe Nasr.

Merc certainly going after Bottas, but will they offer enough cash to get him: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38282791

Quote from: ChrillThe problem is really filling the seat vacated by Bottas. Whoever does will have to lead the team. Lance Stroll is a rookie and a crash prone one at that. He will definitely need time to settle into the rhythm of F1.

... and needing a team leader kills Wehrlein as an option; if only they could prise Sainz away from Toro Rosso.

Quote from: ChrillMassa to remain at Williams and Bottas to Mercedes?
http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/10697528/williams-open-talks-with-felipe-massa-as-potential-valtteri-bottas-replacement

I just popped in to say much the same.  Budget will always be so critical for a team like Williams, if they can keep Massa/find alternative experienced driver it must be worth letting Merc. take Bottas in exchange for ten million (or more) squid off their engine payments.

Williams said to have offered Massa £5,000,000 to drive next year.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)