News:

Welcome to the MF1 Forum

Main Menu

The 2021 Season

Started by Penfold, January 31, 2020, 12:54:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrill

Quote from: Matt on December 12, 2021, 05:57:08 PM
More directly: how often, on Monday after the race, was the conversation actually "wow what great racing" instead of "well that should have been a penalty/that team is cheating/etc." Almost never.
Absolutely accurate, but this comes about because the FIA and Masi was more into keeping the battle tight than keeping it fair.

Mercedes fans feel robbed by the FIA now, but we know Red Bull fans feel like Verstappen won despite the FIA interfering, not because of them interfering. When both sets of fans feel robbed, you've done something horribly wrong. Two wrongs don't make a right, you know?

I do hope Masi leaves, and I do hope we return back to some fairer racing. Maybe F1 is supposed to be a show like wrestling, maybe that sells, but it's not what I tune in for.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Chrill

With Mercedes withdrawing their appeal, Max Verstappen is now fully and officially the world champion:
https://www.racefans.net/2021/12/16/mercedes-will-not-appeal-abu-dhabi-gp-result-verstappen-confirmed-as-champion/

It'll take a while before I can get around to accepting just how Max won it, but over the course of 2021 he proved worthy. His driving was not up to par at a couple events, Monza Brazil and Saudi Arabia come to mind, but he won 10 races this season. In all races he finished, he was 1st or 2nd (except for Hungary, where he was taken out by Bottas).

Hamilton lost out due to personal errors in Imola and Azerbaijan, but was only "removed" by external causes once (Monza). He also lost points to Verstappen in the farcical Belgian GP. Verstappen lost points due to no fault of his own in Azerbaijan, Hungary, and Silverstone. Of course, had Belgium been safe to race he would be in pole position and very able to race for a full 25 points.

Worthy champion, and he did nothing wrong in Abu Dhabi when the FIA opted to tweak their own rules for the benefit of getting a shoot-out done.

I saw someone commenting about what happened in football (soccer) terms:
Basically Hamilton led 3-0 when, in the 90th minute, the referee decided that "next goal wins" and awarded Verstappen a penalty. Sure, Verstappen still had to score it but the odds were clearly in his favour despite having been 3-0 down
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019