News:

Welcome to the MF1 Forum

Main Menu

Future Sounds of F1

Started by Penfold, March 07, 2017, 03:35:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrill

The 2021 grid will be exciting. Concorde Agreement has expired so the financial deals can be renegotiated. New engines are incoming. Cosworth is building one.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/cosworth-lining-up-for-f1-return-in-2021-932464/
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Penfold

Promising.  Like this comment "... we have some verbal agreements to partner with some existing and future teams."  Yes, sort out the revenue sharing and get that field back up to 24 or 26 cars.
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Well, Stefan the Serb is trying to join the grid again, this team in an Italian team.

I would love to see someone like ART GP, Prema Powerteam, or DAMS join the grid. They have the knowhow and the experience.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Chrill

Porsche confirms their interest in joining the 2021 grid, depending on what engine formula is used:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/porsche-confirms-formula-1-interest-for-2021-949446/

Penfold

Engines will likely be broadly similar to current units - probably just a slightly less complex turbo hybrid V6 - but if that's enough to bring Porsche back into the game then fantastic.  Mind you, their last foray into the sport was disastrous, so hopefully we don't get a repeat of the Footwork debacle.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Interesting snippet towards the end of following article where Joe Saward suggests that Red Bull, McLaren, and Cosworth might work together on a 2021 engine: https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2017/09/25/red-bull-and-aston-martin/

Unfortunately no further details or explanation of who told him about such a possibility.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

2021 engine info. found lurking near the bottom of this Joe Saward article: https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2017/10/24/notebook-from-a-weird-town/

"I am told that the engine rules for 2021 are now pretty much done and will be presented at the end of the month, prior to being dusted by the FIA in December.  It seems that there is broad agreement which will see the 1.6-litre V6 formula continuing, but with very significant changes to the hybrid and associated systems, many of which will be standardized in an effort to reduce the costs involved.  Teams will be allowed to buy and sell certain of their technologies, but the number of so-called listed parts will remain in place.  It is expected that the sport will try to expand to have 12 teams, 24 cars."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

From what I've gathered, there is debate about two major issues before finalising the engine formula:

1) Removing MGU-H (the electric power generated from the turbo) or not
2) If so, how to harness the same power? Front wheel KERS system and 4 wheel drive F1 cars.

This makes the cars heavier yet. I'd rather have them remove the MGU-H, skip step 2, and just let cars rev higher plus permit increased fuel flow.

Penfold

I've wanted them to ease up on the fuel-flow limit & amount of fuel permitted per race since the beginning of time: not happened yet and no noises to suggest they are leaning that way.  More likely just to standardize those tricky bits to cut costs (as Joe Saward mentions), and I'd prefer that to making the cars even heavier with another KERS.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/formula-1-reveals-details-of-2021-engine-plan-973420/

To sum it up for you:

* 1.6 Litre V6 turbo hybrid
* 3000rpm higher for more noise
* MGU-H removed
* MGU-K improved, plus can be controlled directly by driver (kinda like the old KERS but awesomer)
* Single turbo with dimensional constraints and weight limits
* Standardised energy storage
* Can save up energy over several laps to deploy in a mega burst

Penfold

They don't get near the current 15,000 rpm limit so unless restrictions on fuel-flow & max fuel per race are ditched I don't see the point of adding more revs; and if said restrictions are eased the calculation for teams is weight penalty of extra fuel versus higher power output - and add concerns about durability of engines to that.  So, erm, quite possible any extra revs would only be used in bursts: in qualifying & for attack modes in race.

Some of the manufacturers said to be unhappy at plans to remove the MGU-H as it's a technology they're keen to develop for road use... but it should make the cars louder.

More potent MGU-K sounds interesting and I'll be happy if drivers have this as a weapon in their arsenal rather than DRS - not least because the guy they're attacking also has an opportunity to deploy.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Indeed. If you're only marginally faster, passing someone with powerful MGU-K and without DRS becomes very difficult. But doable, assuming aerodynamics are adjusted to fit the idea of running closely together.

Chrill

Some Twitter states this:

Engines should end up being about 10 kg lighter, fuel flow 120 kg/hour and 6-8 engines per driver and season.

Chrill

Penfold

Whereas Mercedes & Renault don't sound too impressed: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/41833948

Wolff's comments tie up with what 'GT Racer' said on the F1Fanatic site: "Been told that the new proposals hasn't gone down well with any of the manufacturer's partly due to the prospect of spec components but also because it appears that most of the manufacturer's in attendance are firmly against the removal of the MGU-H as they see it as one of the largest areas of development & performance improvement as well as a key area of high performance hybrid technology going forward.

"I also gather that some of those currently not in F1 who attended have questions about why they would bother entering F1 to showcase there brand & technology if many key components will be either standardized or unable to be developed. They also have a concern that any performance advantage they find will just end up been capped so that others can catch up.

"Appears the concern is that a lot of the discussions seemed to be about the show & entertainment rather than on performance, technology & sport."

For me, the single best part of the proposals is to allow 6 to 8 engines per car for a season.  In fact if they changed nothing else this move alone would make me happy.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)