News:

Welcome to the MF1 Forum

Main Menu

Future Sounds of F1

Started by Penfold, March 07, 2017, 03:35:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrill

Quite frankly, F1 should be about show and entertainment. I'm mostly for that.

I don't mind if F1 becomes a single-engine manufacturer series, if all teams then develop their own aerodynamics. I don't really watch F1 to cheer for Mercedes, or before them Renault, Toyota, Jaguar, Honda, etc. I cheer for teams genuinely in F1 because it's F1, such as (at least in part) Ferrari, as well as Sauber, Force India and Williams.

Most of all, I cheer for drivers. That's why I was always fond of Barrichello, or was fond of Massa (PICK HIM FOR FIRST DRIVER!) up until perhaps the second half of this season. That's why I'm a big fan of Kamui Kobayashi, of Esteban Ocon, of Robert Kubica. Kinda like Nick Heidfeld too.

I don't care about manufacturers showcasing their tech, I care about great racing which is fun to watch for 90 minutes every second Sunday.

If we lose Mercedes and Renault, and we replace them with 3-4 teams from Formula 2/3, I would be totally ok with that.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Chrill

And Ferrari does their "threaten to quit" dance which they always do when something is about change in F1. Maybe they can move to Formula E  ;D
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Penfold

Quote from: Chrill on November 02, 2017, 03:30:53 AM
I don't care about manufacturers showcasing their tech, I care about great racing which is fun to watch for 90 minutes every second Sunday.

If we lose Mercedes and Renault, and we replace them with 3-4 teams from Formula 2/3, I would be totally ok with that.

As the guy I quoted in previous post said, not only are none of the current manufacturers happy with proposal to ditch the MGU-H & partly standardize components, but some of those not yet in F1 view the idea negatively.  So who will be stumping up the nine figure sum required to develop a new engine?  And why even drop the MGU-H?  It plays a significant role in the incredible efficiency of current engines (lighter fuel load), manufacturers seem keen on them as a tech to work on, and I'm sure even Honda will have a viable version by 2021.  Seems like a pointless battle for the FIA/Ross Brawn to pick - and one they will probably concede.

For me, F1 is as much about the fight between teams as that between drivers.  Cap their budgets, distribute moneys more evenly, and specify as few technical restrictions as possible - one of which will be skinny front wings!
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Quote from: Chrill on November 03, 2017, 02:24:06 AM
And Ferrari does their "threaten to quit" dance which they always do when something is about change in F1. Maybe they can move to Formula E  ;D
What's that make it... bluff no. 17?
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Ilmor and Cosworth sing praises of proposed engine simplification as it will lower the financial barrier to entry, but, and it's quite a big but, they also say that investment from an external backer would be required before they could contemplate making an F1 engine.  In other words they still need a car company to pump in some dosh, and as I said previously the noises out of the FIA engine chat was that some of the prospective candidates were less than keen on having key components either standardized or unable to be developed.  So all the FIA has to figure out is how to make the engines cheaper to develop and yet still technologically interesting to the car industry... sounds easy enough.

Ilmor/Cosworth story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/41886707
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

At least it does sound like a Red Bull Aston Martin engine will be produced, if these rules do come into effect. I think the beverage boys have been pushing for these regulations quite strongly.

Penfold

They have been pushing with all their might.  For some odd reason, Red Bull is as keen as mustard for F1 to have far greater (or total) engine parity... perhaps some of the smaller teams should push for standardized chassis to help mitigate the 'unfair' advantage enjoyed by wealthy boys such as Red Bull.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

McLaren could build own engine for 2020 (but probably won't): https://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2018/01/10/mclaren-keeping-open-mind-building-f1-engine-2020/

Guess much depends on how they fare with Renault units for these next couple of years.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

With it looking increasingly unlikely that Aston Martin & Porsche will bring their engineering skills to the F1 party, Toto Wolff suggests the FIA ditch plans to overhaul power units for 2021:   https://www.racefans.net/2018/07/10/no-porsche-no-new-f1-engines-fia-urged-to-keep-mgu-h/

I don't think they should be scrapping the MGU-H anyway, so hopefully the bigwigs heed Toto's advice.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Renault concerned at being outspent by Honda: https://www.racefans.net/2018/10/16/honda-development-accelerates-as-renault-fear-theyre-being-out-spent/

I love this comment from Abiteboul: "We have a plan* and we are executing that plan.  It's not just about arms race.  We have all the aspects of the package to develop.  No one is providing anything to us, either in the power train or on the chassis, so it has to be step by step. We are very confident in our upgrade for next year.  We want to play the long term game."

Now you see, I'd suggest to him that F1 development is an arms race, and it's one that Renault is losing.  I might also mention that we are already past the point where playing the 'long term game' should be paying dividends.

*I wish he were a fan of Blackadder and had said that "we have a cunning plan".  Would've given me a chuckle.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Not posted on this thread in a while....

Red Bull considering developing its own engines for when new rules land in '25: https://www.racefans.net/2021/02/16/red-bull-preparing-to-develop-their-own-power-units-for-new-2025-f1-rules/
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

With the infrastructure they are setting up, I don't see why Red Bull would not have a go at building a smallish road car. Think Smart car meets X Games, you know?

Penfold

Or perhaps a massively expensive supercar?
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

They already did that.

Penfold

Oh yeah, in conjunction with Aston Martin.  Forgot about that.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)