News:

Welcome to the MF1 Forum

Main Menu

The 2017 Season

Started by Penfold, March 03, 2017, 01:08:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrill

Palmer leaves Renault after Japan.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Penfold

Now desperately need a Hammy DNF in the U.S. to keep the title fight even remotely interesting.
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Even two straight Hamilton DNFs and Vettel wins would mean Hamilton keeps the lead in the championship. So this is over for 2017.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Penfold

Realistically, yes, that is the case.  However, I still have fingers crossed for Seb winning the next two with Lewis picking up a DNF and perhaps a third place, reducing his lead to a mere 24 points.  Inject a tiny amount of uncertainty into the title fight for the last two races.  A really tiny amount....
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Matt

Quote from: Penfold on October 06, 2017, 11:59:27 PM
Nice.  Where were those guys found lurking?

IMSA race. Fittipaldi drives a prototype (retiring from full-time driving after this season), the other two have manufacturer GT drives. Fisichella is with Ferrari, Bruni is with Porsche after leaving Ferrari earlier this season.

Chrill

Gasly to miss the US Grand Prix as he is racing in Japan that weekend:
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/gasly-austin-super-formula-finale-964670/

His replacement is not announced, but no Toro Rosso rookie has the points required.

So, here's hoping Kubica.

Chrill

Kubica would be silly expensive, it turns out:

http://www.planetf1.com/news/kubica-return-hindered-by-insurance-issue/

"This ongoing dispute means there is potentially an open seat at Toro Rosso in Austin, Texas, with Kubica thought to be one option.

However, that does not appear likely after it has emerged that it would trigger a reimbursement of a substantial lifetime insurance payout Kubica received for being permanently unable to race in F1 following his horrific rally accident."

Matt

There are apparently rumors of Hartley getting the seat for that race. Porsche has said that there's nothing in his WEC contract preventing it.

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/144972-hartley-free-to-take-up-toro-rosso-chance

Penfold

So J.R. is favourite for the drive with Buemi as the back-up choice.  Hope the New Zealander gets the nod, we already know what Buemi can do in an F1 car.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

I indeed came to post about Hartley for USGP. He is also in the running for a 2018 seat, presumably replacing Kvyat full-time then.

Penfold

- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Could get some rain on race day: https://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/10/19/2017-united-states-grand-prix-weather/

Talking of this weekend's race, workers at COTA have been out grinding away on the asphalt: https://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/10/19/cota-tries-to-reduce-its-bumps-again/
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Matt

I hope the rest of the world got to watch Michael Buffer's driver introductions, including Chrill's favorite, the Viking from Sweden Marcus Ericsson.

Chrill

We did get to watch it. Cringeworthy yet amazing. You Americans sure know how to put on an event. The national anthem always makes me an American patriot.

My two favorite parts:

Daniil THE TORPEEEDOOO Kvyat
Always smiling... KIMI RAAAIKKONNNNEEEENN

Great stuff.

As for the race, very upset with Ericsson's penalty. He pulled off an ABSOLUTELY amazing move, slipstreaming on Vettel who lapped him and going level with Magnussen for the braking point. Magnussen just turns in. Idiot Dane. Then Ericsson is penalised.

Of course I'm biased but REALLY, Ericsson did nothing wrong. He was alongside Magnussen.

Then again, the stewards did get heavily involved this weekend. Two grid penalties for impeding (Stroll, Magnussen), and then midrace penalties for Ericsson and Verstappen. Not the way 2017 stewards have behaved before and not how they should behave.

Decent race with what Vettel taking the lead at the start, but Hamilton never looked like anything other than a winner here.

Penfold

Didn't agree with Ericsson's penalty but I have no problem with the grid drops for Stroll & KMag or with Max being punished for cutting the corner to nip past Kimi - great move it might be but no way can they let drivers get away with that.  Still, 'twas a fun race to watch with plenty of fighting going on, although too bad Dan's car died and Max started in 16th... what a fight they might've given Hammy.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)