News:

Welcome to the MF1 Forum

Main Menu

Cars of 2018

Started by Penfold, December 19, 2017, 02:31:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrill

Crazy barge boards is what I spotted first. If they openly show that this early, what else is up their sleeves? Oh, I don't know, maybe nostrils up front? Very unlike what Force India or Red Bull has used on their nostrils. There are some actual intriguing and new designs on that Sauber. I'm impressed.

The livery is fresh, but still a bit of a letdown. That halo looks a lot larger than it did on the other cars we've seen. I'd really prefer it, as we said, if the halo was colored like the driver helmets.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Penfold

Yeah, it's never going to blend in with the cars so may as well paint it up as an identifier.

2018 Renault - base model without optional aero kit:

Assume more detailed pieces of bodywork will appear before Melbourne.
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

I like the livery on the Renault. From the side, it's black with yellow lines. From the front, it's a full-on Jordan car. Be on Edge. Bitten Heroes. Buzzin Hornets.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Penfold

At least now we have our answer to the age-old question of whether an F1 car can look appealing with a lump of scaffolding bolted on:

- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

That photo is clearly photoshopped. They're using Honda engines, it can't possibly run.

Penfold

:) Not sure if we're meant to be impressed that they had no engine issues during yesterday's very limited running.  Actually, Honda reliability wasn't too bad by the end of 2017, they were just painfully slow down those long stretches of tarmac.

At long last McLaren has rustled up a big old can of orange paint.  Loving the colour scheme though as always it's a shame about the halo's dominating presence; actually, viewed from anything other than head-on I can tolerate them (except for loss of driver's helmet which is a different issue), but looked at from the front they are just about the ugliest cars I've ever seen - and I don't mean F1 cars, I mean any car ever created by mankind.

- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

I really don't find it that bad at all. I mean, I definitely don't like the halo. It's clumsy looking and does not at all feel aerodynamic or suited to sit on an F1 car. Still, it's a rather small part of an otherwise impressive piece of vehicle.

Matt

Agree with Chrill on this one. They do not look good, but I often do not notice them when looking at the cars.

Penfold

As I said, viewing angle heavily influences just how much I dislike the things, but unfortunately I am yet to look at a 2018 car and not instantly have my eyes drawn to this bulky lump of rollcage.  Hopefully one day soon it will happen for me... until then, here's 'It is I' making use of Sauber's halo sun visor:

- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

That Alfa Sauber is growing on me. I really like nose of the car, there is some intricate air flow optimisation going on there.

Penfold

I present to you the 2018 Force India, Toro Rosso, and Haas:

- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

... and the Ferrari, Red Bull (in race livery), and Mercedes:

- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

And whilst I'm at it, you may as well have a pic of the McLaren, Williams, and Renault:

McLaren appears to be running quite a high rake.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Matt

Glad that Haas did not print in greyscale this season.

Chrill

OK, livery ratings of 2018.

Mercedes: 6/10 - it's a splash of blue stripy stuff on the side, so that's neat.
Ferrari: 5/10 - you know what, the increased red and the lack of sponsorship is rather dull. It's just too plain.
Red Bull: 7/10 - the matte is sexy, but I was hoping for a nod to British Racing Green with Aston Martin onboard.
Force India: 6/10 - pretty much like last year but extra grey/silver. That's a step down.
Williams: 7/10 - it's a handsome paintjob in its own right but it's overdue for a revamp, is it not? Classic colours and all that though.
Renault: 9/10 - really liking this one. From one angle, it's a black car with yellow stripes. From another angle, it's full-on Eddie Jordan Benson&Hedges yellow. It's a good looking car.
Toro Rosso: 4/10 - really a mediocre livery, and little to no change either. There's room to be exciting here, Red Bull, so use it.
Haas: 6/10 - kinda neat, but it's really more of the same here too. As Matty pointed out, glad it's not all black-white.
McLaren: 9/10 - Papaya speaks to me. A lack of sponsors is painful, but I guess that makes more room for Alonso's Kimoa brand to fill other spaces down the road. Rumours put new sponsors on the car before Australia.
Sauber: 8/10 - Extra point awarded for simply being new. Other than that, a step down from that blue-gold of last year which I really liked. The wine red of Alfa Romeo is a sexy colour though.

Or to rank them:
1. Renault
2. McLaren
3. Sauber
4. Red Bull
5. Williams
6. Mercedes
7. Force India
8. Haas
9. Ferrari
10. Toro Rosso