News:

Welcome to the MF1 Forum

Main Menu

2019 Driver Speculation

Started by Chrill, January 16, 2018, 03:11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrill

I'm bored. There isn't even any speculation yet. This topic is merely meant to wind you up.

Mercedes-AMG Petronas Motorsport:
44. Lewis Hamilton (link)
77. Valtteri Bottas (link)

Scuderia Ferrari Mission Winnow:
5. Sebastian Vettel (link)
16. Charles Leclerc (link)

Aston Martin Red Bull Racing:
10. Pierre Gasly (link)
33. Max Verstappen (link)

Renault F1 Team:
3. Daniel Ricciardo (link)
27. Nico Hulkenberg (link)

Rich Energy Haas F1 Team:
8. Romain Grosjean (link)
20. Kevin Magnussen (link)

McLaren F1 Team:
4. Lando Norris (link)
55. Carlos Sainz (link)

Racing Point F1 Team:
11. Sergio Perez Mendoza (link)
18. Lance Stroll (link)

Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team:
7. Kimi Raikkonen (link)
99. Antonio Giovinazzi (link)

Red Bull Toro Rosso Honda:
23. Alexander Albon (link)
26. Daniil Kvyat (link)

Williams Racing:
63. George Russell (link)
88. Robert Kubica (link)
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Penfold

Your report card would read: "Must try harder".
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

2020 Driver Speculation coming right up.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Chrill

Penfold

Ferrari with Vettel would be fun....

Could even be a spot at Merc depending on how Bottas goes this year.  I'd say he needs to shine brighter than in 2017 to justify his place.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Well, Hamilton's "about to be confirmed" deal is taking time and the Hamster is openly horny for going into the music/entertainment industry. Who knows if he'll stay on past 2018? Five time world champion, which he will be by the end of this season, could just be enough.

That could create a completely new lineup at Mercedes next season, perhaps a Ricciardo-Ocon duo or something.

Penfold

No room at the inn for the poor old Finn... you're obviously not confident of a vintage 2018 for Valerie.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Right. Assumption time:

1) Lewis will retire
2) Kimi will retire
3) Ericsson will not be retained
4) Hartley is not good enough
5) Ricciardo dumps Red Bull

Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport:
3. Daniel Ricciardo
77. Valtteri Bottas

Scuderia Ferrari:
5. Sebastian Vettel
11. Sergio Perez

Aston Martin Red Bull Racing:
33. Max Verstappen
55. Carlos Sainz Jr.

McLaren F1 Team:
2. Stoffel Vandoorne
14. Fernando Alonso

Sahara Force India F1 Team:
12. George Russell
31. Esteban Ocon

Renault Sport Formula One Team:
8. Romain Grosjean
27. Nico Hulkenberg

Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team:
16. Charles Leclerc
36. Antonio Giovinazzi

Williams Martini Racing:
18. Lance Stroll
35. Sergey Sirotkin

Haas F1 Team:
4. Josef Newgarden
20. Kevin Magnussen

Red Bull Toro Rosso Honda:
6. Dan Ticktum
10. Pierre Gasly

The number 6 of Rosberg will be available for 2019, so I'm giving it to Red Bull's newest recruit Dan Ticktum. He races with 33 right now, which Verstappen uses, and 3+3=6. Haas brings in an American driver in the shape of Newgarden, and he opts for number 4 courtesy of it being available. Sauber keeps Leclerc for another season, with Giovinazzi joining him in the car 36 (which is the number he used when debuting for Sauber in 2017).

Force India drafts George Russell as the newest Mercedes kid, and his number 15 is simply the number with which he won the GP3 championship.

Perez replaces Kimi, Grosjean replaces Sainz (who replaces Ricciardo at Red Bull), Ricciardo replaces the retiring Hamilton. Only McLaren and Williams remain with intact lineups for 2019, however no team fields two new drivers.

Penfold

Williams sticking with its two money makers for another year is a depressing prediction.

I assumed for ages that Perez to Ferrari was on the cards, but he's not shown himself as the perfect team player since Ocon arrived at Force India.  How much might that count against him?

Also, Big Jean to Renault - talented driver no doubt but surely needs a more consistent showing in 2018 to pique their interest... or is it enough that he's fast and French?

- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

I am counting on Romain's fast Frenchness to do it for Renault. I expect Sainz to be a goner after 2018, and if Ricciardo does leave Red Bull then Sainz is the logical replacement. Somehow the Ferrari seat was the hardest to fill. Replacing Kimi with Leclerc after merely a season is a non-Ferrari thing to do, even if Leclerc stuns everyone with fast reliable performances.

It could definitely turn out to be another season for Kimi, courtesy of simply noone else being up for it. I could see Ricciardo wanting to join Ferrari, but would Ferrari really be keen to pit Vettel against the Australian again? Or could Lewis somehow stun us and finish in red with Vettel alongside him? I don't see it happening.

If Kimi, Ricciardo, and Leclerc aren't options then who else should drive the second Ferrari?

Quote from: Penfold on November 30, 2017, 10:53:12 AMVettel against Ericsson, bound to be a close run affair....

Penfold

The perils of sarcasm....

How about Ocon for Ferrari.  He's been as quick as Perez but is right at the beginning of his career so perhaps more willing to play second fiddle to Vettel for a few seasons.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Yes. Assuming Mercedes lets him go. I think Ocon is still too young for Ferrari, and I think Mercedes sees him as a viable future candidate for a drive.

Penfold

I bet they do, but if no Merc spot appears on the horizon and Ferrari comes knocking would they be able to stop him jumping ships?  As for his age, I would think another impressive season under his belt should dispel any concerns.  Then again, Ferrari might be content to wait and promote 'It is I' in a couple of years... does that bring me round to the idea of Kimi hanging on for 2019?  Quite possibly.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

OK, let's agree Ericsson will replace Kimi for next season then.

Penfold

That is what I'm desperate to see....
- Chrill (28/09/2018)