News:

Welcome to the MF1 Forum

Main Menu

F1 liveries we miss

Started by Penfold, March 14, 2017, 05:02:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penfold

One of a few older threads I'm inclined to preserve.

Quote from: ChrillCould be a funny topic, this. A piccy of an old F1 livery no longer in use, or modified so that it's all ugly. Immah start with the yellow Jordan cars, I loved their colour!

The Marlboro McLaren was F1 from the mid-eighties to v. early nineties... until those damn self-levelling Williams came along.

Quote from: Chrill

Swedish Ronnie Peterson around Anderstorp in 1973. Gotta hand it to em, tobacco sponsorship isn't always a bad thing. Renault failed to reboot this livery for sure

Beautiful shot.  Both John Players and a Tyrell in the background - I even prefer that simple blue livery to most (perhaps all?) of the current crop.  Is it just me or are the tones on these old cars easier on the eye than those of our modern paints?

Quote from: ChrillVery true. Just compare the Ferrari of the 80s/90s to that of today. It is brighter now, is it not?

1987:

2011:

Hmm.. Maybe not...?

I was thinking older than that.  Paint jobs from the Seventies (and before) rather than eighties.  Not taken in sunlight, but doesn't this 1976 Ferrari 312T look muted:

Or Scheckter's '79 312T4:

Quote from: ChrillTrue. Then again, it is easier to see sponsors on a brighter car. Just look at Renault.

No, one of the prettiest liveries of 2011 is Williams. I love it.
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

As a side topic, liveries we are glad no longer exist.  I'll start with the Benetton B188:

A real love it or loathe it colour scheme.  For me it's definitely the latter.

Quote from: ChrillIt looks like something I'd build with Lego when I was 7. Which is not good. At all.

On the same topic, the hideous Honda Earth liveries of 2007:

Disgusting.

Oh good God, all traces of that had been obliterated from memory.  Now it's back with a vengeance, so thanks.

I guess I blame myself for getting the ball rolling with the Benetton, no, no, I blame you for over-stepping the bounds of taste & decency... what were you thinking?  Now I have to go somewhere else... it's messing with my head.  Can't stop looking at it........

Quote from: ChrillI guess I win the Internets.

Not for long.

Looking at some old Ligier liveries and just had to post this; surely the craziest air box ever:

Quote from: MattI like the Earth car.

Quote from: CabanacatI like orange :)

Nothing wrong with a bit of orange, though I prefer this shade:

Quote from: ChrillCab, I have to prefer your orange over Penfold's orange. I loved the old Arrows. Also, I loved the fluorescent-yellowy Minardi's they once had.

Bonus points to whoever names the driver

Quote from: MattMazzacane. Anyway,

Quote from: ChrillIn response to your Sauber, I also miss the McLaren livery seen in the background. The West tobacco thingy, white and black. Simple and sweet.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Lotus has run three of my all-time top five liveries: John Player Specials (as seen above); iconic British Racing Green with yellow detailing:

... and in the late-sixties to early-seventies their gorgeous 'Gold Leaf' incarnation:

Quote from: ChrillAdmittedly, I have not seen that Gold Leaf livery. I like it, though, even more so than the classic British Racing colours

The 'Gold Leaf' is a stunner.  If a modern team were to emulate said design, they would doubtless spray the entire front wing with the shiniest gold paint on Earth and so create the tackiest racing car known to man.  No subtlety in paint jobs these days.

Quote from: ChrillI think you're right there. There's a "Oh look at me" trend in current cars, obviously for sponsorship reasons. You want to be seen. Money talks.

Quote from: LjudYe, Gold Leaf is awesome. I somehow recall seeing that red being a bit more purplish, say.. burgundy red or perhaps crimson, or somesuch. Was even more awesome.

Quote from: ChrillWhat's up with the McLaren jackets? They were all red

Some sponsorship deal I think, that or a special for China - colour red being 'lucky' and all.

Depressingly you're 'on the money' regarding modern liveries - need the financing to run a team without recourse to sponsors.  Actually you're bound to bump into Bill Gates during your Californian sojourn, so simply convince him to funnel $100 million annually into the MF1 racing outfit.  Concoct some 'it will save the World' back story to justify his expense....

Quote from: Ljud
Ye, Gold Leaf is awesome. I somehow recall seeing that red being a bit more purplish, say.. burgundy red or perhaps crimson, or somesuch. Was even more awesome.
Could've been the light level in the picture, or perhaps one of the other models was a deeper red.

The Lotus 49 (just because I love these cars):

Quote from: PenfoldDepressingly you're 'on the money' regarding modern liveries - need the financing to run a team without recourse to sponsors.  Actually you're bound to bump into Bill Gates during your Californian sojourn, so simply convince him to funnel $100 million annually into the MF1 racing outfit.  Concoct some 'it will save the World' back story to justify his expense....

I did actually run into a rich person - her name is Cameron Diaz. Admittedly, she was across the street on a movie premiere and I was in the crowd watching them. Other people I spotted were Seth Rogen and that crazy blonde dude from MythBusters. None of them offered to sponsor MF1, actually.

But you obviously didn't even ask... track Cameron down and plead our case!

Quote from: ChrillJaa, you are right... Speaking of Cameron, why did the British Cameron fly RyanAir?
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Quote from: Matt
Quote from: Penfold

The Marlboro McLaren was F1 from the mid-eighties to v. early nineties... until those damn self-levelling Williams came along.

This paint scheme survived, of course, in American open-wheel until last year.

Now it's gone there as well.

Was unaware of the loss.  Let me guess, Govt. banned this type of tobacco advertising?

Jaa, you are right... Speaking of Cameron, why did the British Cameron fly RyanAir?
Got me... to show he's 'one of us', i.e. poor, and not in fact loaded with cash.

Frankly I couldn't give a toss how they spend their (her) money, or how fabulously wealthy any British PM is, providing they do a decent job of governing.  On which score the last four PMs ('Dave' included) have been pretty miserable.

Quote from: MattThey banned tobacco advertising a long time ago (99-00, somewhere around there). That's why the car doesn't say Marlboro anywhere on it. They just stopped sponsoring the team, which seems like bad timing since American open-wheel is in a good position to make a comeback.

Quote from: Cabanacat
Quote from: PenfoldDepressingly you're 'on the money' regarding modern liveries - need the financing to run a team without recourse to sponsors.  Actually you're bound to bump into Bill Gates during your Californian sojourn, so simply convince him to funnel $100 million annually into the MF1 racing outfit.  Concoct some 'it will save the World' back story to justify his expense....

I did actually run into a rich person - her name is Cameron Diaz. Admittedly, she was across the street on a movie premiere and I was in the crowd watching them. Other people I spotted were Seth Rogen and that crazy blonde dude from MythBusters. None of them offered to sponsor MF1, actually.

Adam Savage said no to an MF1 deal?  And I respected the Mythbusters so much.  Assholes =/

Quote from: CabanacatAdam Savage said no to an MF1 deal?  And I respected the Mythbusters so much.  Assholes =/

I did not, admittedly, manage to make an investment proposal. His bodyguards wrestled me down, and I was arrested for Stalking of a brilliant mind and Preparation of Terrorism Attack. I am currently serving a 5-year term in prison, but I will be out by 2013 if I behave while in here. After that, I will be forced to remain at least 500 feet away from Adam Savage at all times. Ah well, that happens from time to time.

Quote from: CabanacatIn prison??? Not fair. So much free time to make your weekly picks. Analysis and things like that.

Quote from: ChrillAbsolutely. According to the algorithms used, it is better to start the season with crap drivers in weekly. Thus, I have picked a Toro Rosso twice and a Force India once. Despite this, I am absolutely not at the very end of weeklies. I'll come a-charging soon

Quote from: MattMaybe if there was a topic where Chrill could just post monologues about himself, the rest of the topics wouldn't all get derailed.

Quote from: ChrillThen again, the only posts this forum would have would be in your "Standings" topic, 3-4 per race :D

What am I, chopped liver?

On topic.  Managing to look like it leapt straight off the pages of a late-eighties sixth-form design project, the 1994 Footwork FA15:

Quote from: ChrillThat's pretty pretty :) In a childish way. And I'm childish. So boom!
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Man, talk about setting yourself up to be insulted... not that I would.

Right then, let us return to liveries admired by adults - the 1985 Renault RE60:

Quote from: CabanacatI like!  Its a diamond car!

Yes, simple enough design but rather striking - suits the contours on which it rests.

Late-nineties Mastercard Lola, the very epitome of high-end style:

Much prefer this classic ('91) Minardi:

- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

How about some Yardley-liveried machines from way back.

Two Denny Hulme-era McLarens:

And a BRM:

I do quite like the simple approach taken to incorporate the soap people's colours onto the cars, but frankly I posted these for the love of those slabs of rear wing.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Matt

I still like the Earth car.