News:

Welcome to the MF1 Forum

Main Menu

Cars of 2017

Started by Penfold, March 03, 2017, 01:25:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penfold

Renderings of the new Williams: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/02/17/compare-williams-new-fw40-with-their-2016-car/

Quote from: Chrill

LOOK AT THIS HANDSOME LITTLE CAR. LOOK AT THE SAUBER.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/02/20/pictures-sauber-reveals-first-images-of-its-2017-car/sauber-c36/

More images here.

Liking the gold stripe on that blue, puts me in mind of some of the old tobacco era liveries.  White is a tad stark down the sides though - perhaps some sponsor logos would help soften it.  Also not sure about shark fins rearing their ugly heads, but those minor gripes aside I must agree it's a fine looking motor.  Seems to have a good level of aero detail for an initial launch, let's hope that bodes well for the year.

Quote from: ChrillI really like shark fins, so I don't mind it one bit. The lack of sponsors is a concern. The wings, side pods, barge boards and so on should all be place holders right? They don't want to give up any secrets they may have found.

Assuming car will be broadly similar to this for start of testing and then finessed aero pieces ready for final tests/Melbourne.  Guess I'm just hoping this already provides a good base level before any fancy bits get added.  Quite small intakes on the sidepods, and a chunkier one on the engine cover - some expecting this approach across the field for aerodynamic benefits.

Paint the shark fin blue and it won't bother me so much.

Just one quick shot of the Renault - shark fin much improved with suitable colouring.

Quote from: ChrillThat's an interesting barge board on the Renault. Other than that, it looks very similar to the Sauber but the black colors on rather poor picture quality makes it difficult to pick out details. The Williams looks most different so far, but that was just a render.

Quote from: MattI like both the shark fins and the angled rear wing endplates. On the livery side, both of these are improvements from 2016. Both of them are above average, arguably even good. What's not good is the lack of sponsorship on both cars.

Full range of hi-res renders here: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/02/21/pictures-renaults-new-f1-car-for-2017-breaks-cover/

Quote from: ChrillThat's a better picture. I'm not too fond of the half yellow half black design they are sporting. The two don't go well together, the front looking more like the 2016 car and the rear looking like an unfinished painting.
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Quote from: ChrillFORCE INDIA

That front wing. What is that even.

Overall not a very exciting look. I was expecting a sweet livery now that they are celebrating 10 years in F1. Instead we get a step nosed (sort of) front wing and a big chunk of metal for a fin.

Might categorise that one as homely.  I'd forgotten quite how much I dislike that style of nose, and a tepid livery to boot.  Hoping they have something more in mind for the shark fin, like subtle (or obvious!) aero styling and perhaps more of an attempt to incorporate it into their exciting colour scheme.

I did realise what's bothering me about this crop of 'shark fins', why they look a little jarring to my eye, it's that they're sat higher than the newly lowered rear wings to which F1 has thankfully returned.  I dare say that once the cars are whizzing round the tracks I won't give them a second thought.

Someone on F1Fanatic has digitally stolen the RS17's fins:

Quote from: ChrillI honestly prefer them with shark fins. I think it looks real cool. Also note that rake.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but how many pictures is a video worth?  The Sauber C36 on track: https://youtu.be/EixDrunQKa0

Edit: One pic just because I love these low-angle shots.

Quote from: ChrillIt's a damn beautiful car. The rear wing looks a bit fun, because the end plates bend inward to actually fit the car. They're THAT wide.

Wider, lower, and with proper fat tyres, aka how an F1 car should look - and also how they were up until the early-nineties.  Twenty years of pointless tinkering but now it's come full circle, well almost, still DRS to go....
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Mercedes W08 (shark fin to be added later):

And one for all you lovers of carbon fibre floors:

Quote from: ChrillI really don't like the livery, I never have. The car itself is STUNNING though. The incredible amount of detail. Those side pods, that front wing, everything about this car. It looks like a car you finish your season with, not one you take out for pre-season testing. Incredible. However, I am worried Hamilton has already won this championship. Here's hoping for a Red Bull or Ferrari (or at least a Bottas) upset!

Quote from: MattThis seems like as good a place to post this as any since you two are the only ones here. I'm planning on buying new hosting for the site and transitioning everything over. That will include a new forum, and I'm not sure if the posts and data from this one will transfer. For now, I'm planning on moving the site to the minardif1.com address on the new host, and everything currently stored on the minardif1.org address on the current host will stay up as well for the foreseeable future (hidden behind a redirection page to the new site.)

So the point is, you might be losing these posts to the extent that you want to keep the discussion going. But you'll be able to access them and post on the new forum. This may be as soon as this weekend because I need to get things moving for 2017.

Aye aye, Cap'n.  We be ready to follow you across the gangplank....

Merc W08 - As Chrill says, this is a beast of a car.  Rolls out of the factory looking every inch the fully developed creature, God knows how intricate the detailing will be come Melbourne.  All quite ominous for the competition... can't see anyone besides Red Bull coming close.

Quote from: ChrillFerrari SF70H

Interesting car, this. It's sporting some very wide but not very large air intakes, a rather compressed rear and an intriguing shark fin with a Mercedes-esque "T-wing". It clearly looks different to the 2016 car, probably not a whole lot carried over from the old challenger. The livery? Not a lot to comment on. It's typically Ferrari. It definitely looks less busy and less refined than the Mercedes. I don't expect this car to win many races this year. Sorry.

Plenty of space under those side-pods, should be a positive for controlling airflow.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Quote from: ChrillMcLaren MCL32

Look at this orange beast. That front wing is intriguing. That rear wing is spectacular. That car... looks beautiful. I really like it. They didn't go over the top with orange, it's a decent enough look with some black remaining. The side pods and barge boards are intricate. If the Honda engine is up for it, this car will be there or thereabouts on tracks which suit it. I am happy.

My eyes are struggling to pick out details around the side-pods/barge boards.  Want some hi-res images of the actual car (not renders) for a clearer look, but for now only this quality:

Agree on the wings, both look top drawer.

Quote from: ChrillBut I posted a high quality image above you. Silly man.

Quote from: PenfoldMy eyes are struggling to pick out details around the side-pods/barge boards.  Want some hi-res images of the actual car (not renders) for a clearer look...

Good shot of the whole side-pod/barge board configuration:

- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Williams FW40 - might be a rocket in a straight line but where's all the aero work?  Hope there are a lot of pieces to be added before Oz.

Quote from: ChrillI just bought a bottle of Martini Asti. GREAT COLOURS, as always. Back to the car... It doesn't look incredibly fast though. Williams may well be the losers of this regulation change.

So, Toro Rosso + Red Bull + Haas all reveal tomorrow?

Red Bull:

Toro Rosso (love the livery):

Forgot about Haas:

Quote from: ChrillI'm not a massive fan of the Toro Rosso livery yet. I know people like it, but I am not convinced. The car itself looks great though. It's very Mercedesy.

... but it's SHINY!  What's not to love!

Quote from: ChrillYes. I've come around to it. It's great on track.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Expect a heavily-revised Mercedes to hit the test track later today: http://en.f1i.com/news/260231-mercedes-planning-updated-w08-second-test.html

Same must go for several of the teams; there are even rumours that the McHonda will be revised into a fully working automobile!
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

New Red Bull front wing made a fleeting appearance yesterday:

- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Slight livery change for Force India courtesy of new sponsor 'Best Water Technology':

More words: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/128499
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Matt

Hardly even noticed the change.

Penfold

Subtlety is best.

Hefty analysis of how aero philosophies differ between Merc, Ferrari, and Red Bull.  Not a light read but some interesting info. within: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/tech-analysis-the-concepts-that-split-mercedes-ferrari-and-red-bull-882735/
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

I like the pink Force India. It definitely stands out. God knows it's an improvement to their old paint.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Penfold

I'm liking the variety of colours we have this year... looking forward to seeing them in action.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

McLaren trying to extract more downforce from the rear wing without adding drag (Honda engine is enough of one): https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/tech-analysis-mclaren-s-plan-to-increase-rear-downforce-895775/
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Matt

They've made the car "more visible" by making it less bright and the color of asphalt.