News:

Welcome to the MF1 Forum

Main Menu

2018 Driver Speculation

Started by Chrill, March 22, 2017, 01:15:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penfold

Cry himself to sleep through 2018 and then run off to Formula E?
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

It's a fair offering.

Now now, some more stuff.

Ricciardo is definitely on the market for 2019, which is.. well, it's irrelevant to this topic. BRB, going to create a "2019 Driver Speculation" threa:
http://en.f1i.com/news/281562-red-bull-already-preparing-ricciardos-departure.html

Vandoorne implies Alonso may still leave McLaren:
http://www.racer.com/f1/item/144737-i-m-ready-to-lead-mclaren-vandoorne

Massa ain't got a clue bout whats up with Kubby and Paulinho:
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/10/05/351585/
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Chrill

Now that I think about it, Alonso not being confirmed for McLaren despite the McLaren-Renault being confirmed a couple weeks back is a bit worrisome. It should have been announced rather quickly afterwards.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Penfold

Probably locked in conversation over how many more millions of squid McLaren should add to Alonso's bank account in 2018.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Chrill

Alonso confirmed to remain at McLaren in this very unusual announcement:
https://www.facebook.com/McLaren.Racing/videos/10155574203831413/

Penfold

- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Matt

Marshall Pruett (IndyCar and IMSA reporter) thinks Hartley has already signed a contract with Ganassi in IndyCar and that there is no buy-out clause. Pruett, along with co-worker Robin Miller, are about the most reliable IndyCar reporters there are. We'll see how it plays out, but going to STR for 2018 could come down to more than just what STR wants.

Penfold

Since the Sainz to Renault confirmation I've been assuming STR will run Kvyat & Gasly next year, and if Hartley is off the table then that pairing must be a near certainty.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

With Hartley confirmed for the Mexican GP, is it time to consider him a 2018 option for Toro Rosso? Some might say. As you were.

http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/2017/10/motorsport-expert-bob-mcmurray-believes-kiwi-brendon-hartley-perfectly-suited-to-toro-rosso.html

Chrill

New table!

Could I create this topic any sooner? I'll get back to you.

Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport:
44. Lewis Hamilton (link)
77. Valtteri Bottas (link)

Scuderia Ferrari:
5. Sebastian Vettel (link)
7. Kimi Räikkönen (link)

Aston Martin Red Bull Racing:
3. Daniel Ricciardo (link)
33. Max Verstappen (link)

Force India F1 Team:
11. Sergio Perez (link)
31. Esteban Ocon (link)

Williams Martini Racing:
9. Marcus Ericsson (link)
18. Lance Stroll (link)
19. Felipe Massa (link)
30. Jolyon Palmer (link)
94. Pascal Wehrlein (link)
?. Luca Ghiotto (link)
?. Robert Kubica (link)
?. Paul di Resta (link)

Scuderia Toro Rosso: (Honda)
10. Pierre Gasly (link)
26. Daniil Kvyat (link)
?. Brendon Hartley (link)
?. Nobuharu Matsushita (link)

Haas F1 Team:
8. Romain Grosjean (link)
20. Kevin Magnussen (link)

Renault Sport Formula One Team:
27. Nico Hülkenberg (link)
55. Carlos Sainz Jr. (link)

McLaren Formula 1 Team: (Renault)
2. Stoffel Vandoorne (link)
14. Fernando Alonso (link)

Sauber F1 Team:
9. Marcus Ericsson (link)
?. Charles Leclerc (link)
?. Antonio Giovinazzi (link)
?. Robert Kubica (link)

Sources updated include:
Hartley to Toro Rosso
Wehrlein to Williams
Alonso confirmed at McLaren

Chrill

http://www.thedrive.com/start-finish/15350/reports-claim-robert-kubica-exceeded-williams-expectations

"Sources" imply that Kubica was faster than Di Resta in their not-actually-shoot-out-but-still test in old Williams F1 cars.

Penfold

I would hope there is still a gap between the two: Kubica was a demon driver in his day while di Resta was more of a middling peddler.

Second chance for Hartley to show what he has and so it seems my assumption of a Gasly/Kvyat pairing in 2018 may need to be given the boot.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Hartley supposedly has an IndyCar deal in place for 2018, but surely such a deal could be cancelled by Red Bull if they are serious about Hartley.

One advantage for Kvyat though... The Russian market is BIG. Having a Russian driver in a Red Bull car is nothing short of fanastic from a marketing perspective. However, already having an Aussie, a Kiwi doesn't have quite the same pull.

Matt

Despite what I posted, I do think STR could get Hartley away from Ganassi for a relatively acceptable price. Hartley would be going to the sponsored car at Ganassi, but Dixon still doesn't have a sponsor. Pruett said he didn't think that made a difference because Hartley was going to the sponsored car, but I don't see why that matters. Money is money. If Ganassi was really smart he'd try to leverage it into a sponsorship deal with Red Bull. IndyCar sponsorship is practically nothing compared to what Red Bull spends elsewhere, I think it's like $6-7 million per year.

So, I don't know, tell Red Bull that for $21 million, they can have Hartley and three years of sponsorship. Everyone wins.