News:

Welcome to the MF1 Forum

Main Menu

2018 Driver Speculation

Started by Chrill, March 22, 2017, 01:15:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

We've already reached the Renault part of the Alonso cycle again? Kimi can just stay another year and then Alonso can take his place.

Chrill

According to Italian journalist Leo Turrini (the man who first claimed Raikkonen was to be retained in 2016, and made the same claim for 2017 first too!), Vettel agreed a pre-contract with Mercedes for the 2018 season. This was done after Rosberg announced his retirement. The pre-contract is to be activated if Bottas underperforms in comparison to Hamilton, and Ferrari fails to secure enough points for the 2017 season. With Bottas already winning 1 race and Ferrari already winning 2, we can safely assume that this pre-contract will turn out invalid.
* Why would Vettel leave the Scuderia just as they ramp up the first proper title challenge in 10 years?
* Why would Mercedes kick out Bottas if he is on the same level as Hamilton?
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Penfold

Only question at the top three teams is whether Kimi hangs on for 2018.  I think he's had his day and would rather see someone like Perez or Sainz have a crack in a top car.
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Yes. Perez, Sainz, Hulkenberg, Vandoorne, perhaps Ocon too at the end of the year.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Chrill

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/129946

I'm not saying anything. Realistically he won't be physically able to drive all circuits, I know. Still, Kubica is to demo a 2012 F1 car from Lotus/Renault. I'm looking at you, Jolyon Palmer.

Penfold

I'm starting to think that even you would be a suitable replacement for Palmer....
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

I once set the 7th fastest lap of the year on a gokart track in Stockholm. That means only 6 kids in Stockholm are more suited for it than me. That year. Or those 8 months, this was in August...

We should do a MF1 meet and try our hands at gokarting!

Renault Sport Formula One Team:
27. Nico Hülkenberg
14. Fernando Alonso (link)
91. Christopher Rehn (link)
?. Oliver Rowland (link)

EDIT: I kinda wanna slap Kubica onto this list too.

"It [the test] follows on from his first single-seater tests earlier in the year – in a GP3 car at Franciacorta in Italy and a Formula E at Donington. What was significant about these earlier tests was they allowed him to assess whether the limited articulation of his injured right arm still prevented him from being able to steer within the confines of a single-seater's cockpit. The Franciacorta circuit was chosen for the fact that it features two tight hairpins that require a lot of steering lock. Kubica was reportedly delighted to find that the arm no longer presented a problem, that it was now possible for it to function without being held out at an angle that had previously prevented it from fitting into such an enclosed space. So if it is now possible for him to properly drive a single-seater, does that beg the tantalising question of an F1 comeback? A test with a current F1 team hardly pours cold water on such an idea."

Chrill

Penfold

All the warnings in the World won't make Palmer good enough for F1....
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-kubica-not-list-renault-seat-919151/

Kubica is speculated to Renault to such an extent that Renault have to deny him being "on the list". That means he is a rumoured Renault driver for 2018. I'll take it.

http://www.f1-fansite.com/f1-news/alonso-not-ruling-2018-indycar-switch/

Alonso not ruling out 2018 switch to IndyCar fulltime. That won't put him on the list for any one team, but is definitely a speculation about a driver for 2018.

Matt

He also won't rule out anything else. They probably could have asked him if he was going to WRC. It does seem less and less likely that he'll return to F1, but I think WEC is more likely than IndyCar.

Chrill

https://drivetribe.com/p/OcTQCeCzR7OV2ef9EmmV8Q?iid=af64NCjFRP6NzLwfUQHT9A
Lewis Hamilton opening the door to retirement after this season. Meanwhile daddy Hamilton says his son could go on for another 10 years.

http://www.marca.com/en/more-sports/2017/06/23/594d82e422601d02228b4592.html
Horner slams the door shut on Alonso to Red Bull rumours.

Chrill

Chrill

Matt

I just can't see him and Vettel getting along, and it would require Ferrari to shift their entire philosophy of having a clear number one driver.