News:

Welcome to the MF1 Forum

Main Menu

2018 Driver Speculation

Started by Chrill, March 22, 2017, 01:15:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penfold

Sirotkin or Stroll... can't say I care which of them is in F1.  Now the two together at the expense of Kubica would be a different matter.

Quote from: Chrill on November 21, 2017, 08:10:24 AM
I'd say just remove the entire section and repost the few topics we actually own in that broken down section of our forum. And perhaps limit user registration.
Yep, we can just move the seven or eight pukka threads to another corner of the site and have Matt nuke what remains.
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Right on cue Williams announces that Kubica, Sirotkin, and Stroll will all be getting some laps at next week's test: https://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/11/22/williams-confirm-kubica-sirotkin-stroll-test/

I wonder who will be the quickest....
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

That statement is also the first time Williams confirms Stroll as a race driver for 2018, so I will go ahead and confirm him with that.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Chrill

I really don't want to report this, but rumours are circulating that Marcus Ericsson will be replaced for 2018. Leclerc and Giovinazzi for Sauber, and Alfa Romeo badges on the cars. I'd be a bit sad.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ericsson-sauber-ferrari-junior-team-talks-my-main-worry-981821/
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Penfold

And I'll be a bit sad on your behalf... whilst at the same time excited by the prospect of 'It is I' and Giovinazzi (no nickname as yet) duking it out as team-mates.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

That battle will be a walk in the park for It Is I. Giovinazzi, let me think.

Giov -> Giva = Give
Vin = Wine
Nazzi -> Nazi

So, Giovinazzi can only be referred to as drunk Hitler.

Penfold

True that nothing quite says F1 like an inebriated fascist... but perhaps anyway I shall instead call him Adam.  I assume this requires no explanation.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/sauber-delays-2018-driver-decision-982191/

Sauber confirms that no confirmation will be confirmed this weekend, although confirms that Ericsson and Leclerc will drive in the post-race test. Does that confirmation confirm anything? Nothing is confirmed.

Chrill

More Sauber speculation:

Sauber already has a written and signed contract for Ericsson in 2018. The delay of announcing comes from Ferrari wanting to break that contract and put Giovinazzi in the team.
Williams is not announcing Kubica because their second seat will potentially be occupied by Ericsson if he is ousted from Sauber.

All speculative and all rumours, but Ericsson's agent did confirm Williams talks earlier this year.

Matt

Sauber should just hire three drivers, as is tradition.

Chrill

That might not be far from the truth. German media is putting Ericsson as third driver for all Ferrari-engined teams in 2018. That would mirror the deal Gutierrez had in 2015 after being dismissed from Sauber. Here's hoping Raikkonen suffers a long-lasting but not too serious injury at the start of the next season....

Chrill

Sauber confirms Ericsson-Leclerc for the post-Abu Dhabi tests, hinting at such a line-up for next year:
http://www.planetf1.com/news/sauber-hint-at-their-2018-driver-line-up/

Penfold

So to summarise: Ericsson could remain at Sauber next year, possibly alongside 'It Is I'; on the other hand, Sauber might run 'It is I' with Adam (aka Giovinazzi) and Ericsson is thus reduced to being third driver for all Ferrari-powered teams; alternatively, Ericsson could make a sharp upwards leap into Williams should Kubica, Kvyat, di Resta, and Sirotkin not make the mark; or then again something entirely unexpected could happen, as can be the way with F1.  So, erm, I think your 'nothing is confirmed' post was pretty much spot on.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Not to forget my speculative post from about a year ago where I placed Ericsson at Ferrari. I still think it's reasonable ;D

Chrill

Alfa Romeo Sauber confirmed for 2018.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/sauber-alfa-romeo-returns-partnership-983901/

I assume Sauber will change colours to something more Ferrariesque then, perhaps with larger white areas than Ferrari.

I'm hearing whispers in German media (and then reported in channels I monitor) that Ericsson will be on a 1+1 year contract tied to a performance clause. If he does not perform in 2018, Giovinazzi (or whoever they deem most suitable) will replace him for 2019.

SO HERE WE GO, LADS. Ericsson to Ferrari 2019.