News:

Welcome to the MF1 Forum

Main Menu

2018 Driver Speculation

Started by Chrill, March 22, 2017, 01:15:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrill

I agree, but it's called "silly season" not because it's all highly likely to come true :P
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Chrill

Sainz "unlikely" to remain at Toro Rosso next season:

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/07/06/sainz-unlikely-ill-toro-rosso-2018/

So for me, that's one of 5 options: Ferrari, Renault, McLaren, Red Bull, or Williams. (or leaving F1)

Ferrari: Well, they have flirted in the past and Kimi is not getting any younger. Sainz appeared to be a match for Verstappen and may very well be so.
Renault: Even I could replace Palmer, but Sainz would definitely be a better replacement. The driver pairing Hulkenberg-Sainz doesn't sound too bad. However, with Kubica making claims that he is 80-90% sure he WILL return to F1, maybe Sainz won't fit here?
McLaren: If Alonso goes, Sainz comes in. Alonso has encouraged his team to sign Sainz, and always speaks very highly of his countryman. Would not be impossible.
Red Bull: Bit of an outside, despite Sainz driving for Toro Rosso. If Ricciardo signs for Ferrari, which is a weak rumour but still a rumour, then Sainz is the obvious replacement for the Aussie.
Williams: Let's face it, Massa is old even though he APPEARS to be driving well. Stroll had a great weekend in Baku but will he maintain that or drop back down the order again? Any of the two might leave Williams at the end of this year, and Sainz would be a great replacement.

There's obviously an outsider's chance he will remain at Toro Rosso, or sign for someone like Force India or Sauber, but I somehow doubt it.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Matt

Kubica is obviously the most interesting piece of the 2018 puzzle, but I think we'll see him before Australia... Alonso is the other interesting piece. What about Hulkenberg going to Ferrari, opening up Renault to an Alonso/Kubica pairing? They're good friends, if I remember correctly.

This silly season looks like it could be better than most. Or everyone could re-sign again and nothing really happens.

Chrill

Oh, I like your thinking. Renault going Alonso-Kubica, now that is something right out of the 00's. That would have been high profile ten years ago.

Hulk to Ferrari is possible, but like Sainz I feel that his cause has not been helped this season. Yes he is destroying his team mate but that comes down to Palmer being very poor.

Matt

But which of the "second tier" drivers are having great seasons? Hulkenberg, Grosjean, Sainz, and Perez have all had their own problems this season. Unless Ferrari steals Ricciardo, which I really don't see happening, any of them seem like equally good candidates.

Chrill

I'd say Perez. He has *just* had the edge of his team mate, and their crashes and comings together have been caused by Ocon. Grosjean can't brake, so he's out of the equation. Yup, Ricciardo, Perez, Hulk, Sainz. Those remain potential candidates to me.

Matt

But Perez's teammate is a rookie and his failure to do what his team wanted him to in Canada won't look good to a team like Ferrari. It also brings up the negative reputation he gained at McLaren.

Chrill

DTM star (well. Currently 2nd in standings behind an old Swedish bloke) Lucas Auer linked to Force India for 2018

http://www.planetf1.com/news/dtm-racer-auer-in-talks-with-several-f1-teams/

Chrill

Well that's a mess. Sainz doesn't want to stay, Horner is keeping him for another TWO seasons.

Chrill

Penfold

Sticking with him for another year... what's happened to Red Bull's ethos of bringing on new talent?
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

It's as though winning GP2 isn't enough for F1. Poor Gasly. I'd rather see him than Kvyat driving that car. I'd rather see Haryanto driving that car...

Chrill

McLaren:
2. Stoffel Vandoorne (link)

I'd say this borders on confirmation for Vandoorne to stay on at McLaren. It's as official as it can be without being official.

Penfold

He's not exactly been mega this season but I'm glad he'll be getting another year at McLaren to prove his stuff.

Echo the 'poor Gasly' comment.
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)