News:

Welcome to the MF1 Forum

Main Menu

2018 Driver Speculation

Started by Chrill, March 22, 2017, 01:15:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penfold

That's who I'm desperate to see replace Kimi.  Vettel against Ericsson, bound to be a close run affair....
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Thank you, I shall quote that in my signature.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Penfold

That's outrageous!  Never have such blatantly sarcastic words been so deliberately misrepresented....
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Yay, we will feature Swedish drivers in F1 next year too, alongside F2 champion Leclerc. With a pretty Alfa Romeo car at that.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/sauber-confirms-ericsson-leclerc-for-2018-f1-season-985150/

No word yet on what number Leclerc will use for the 2018 season. Giovinazzi is confirmed as their third driver.

EDIT: Although the Alfa Romeo mockup car carries the number 16, so that may be Leclerc's number. 16 is an available number, it hasn't been used since the regulations changed.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Chrill

Here's an image of the modifications Williams have made to their car in order for Kubica to fit. The right side (his injured arm) is slightly expanded to allow more room.

Chrill

Is Oliver Rowland in the running for that second Williams seat? He says he is. Williams says he is not.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/133500/rowland-claims-williams-talks-team-denies-it

Penfold

I think not.  Anyway, they're going to hire Kubica so there isn't actually a spot available - unless Williams is in such dire straits that they're going to try a Kaltenborn special.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

The fact we are still awaiting confirmation for Kubica makes me wonder if perhaps his Abu Dhabi tests were not as successful as we all hope. We shall see.

Also, Leclerc's number 16 is now confirmed.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/leclerc-2018-race-number-raikkonen-gasly-987368/

Penfold

Last I heard (read) he was putting in some time on the team's simulator - this was after the Abu Dhabi test.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Kubica is out of contention according to Autosport. Sirotkin is now the front runner.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/133521/sirotkin-favourite-to-get-2018-williams-drive

What an impressive lineup, Stroll-Sirotkin. Ugh.

Penfold

That's depressing.  So according to Williams, Sirotkin wins out over Kubica purely on performance, the 15 million Pounds attached to his person is just a nice bonus - same as it was with Stroll's money....
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Honestly, Kubica would bring sponsorship due to basic publicity. It would be a fairytale. If he is rejected, then maybe he simply isn't fit enough to battle it out over a season, or he isn't capable of extracting the last few tenths that makes the difference between P7 and P17.

Penfold

I'm sure Williams would maintain to the end that any decision was based purely on performance but we can never know for sure, what we can know is (roughly) how much of a financial boost Sirotkin could provide.  Now, Kubica might well attract some sponsors to the team but Sirotkin's bag of money is said to hold roughly $20 million; to give that some context, Martini is believed to pay $25 million per year to be title sponsor.  I can't believe that new sponsors would be throwing anything like that amount of money at Williams just because they signed up some driver on the comeback trail who is largely unknown outside of motorsport circles.  If he'd been World Champion then that would be different, but he has a single race win almost a decade ago... how's his name going to boost sales of whatever widget you make?  Perhaps a few million dollars of new money would come in but I honestly can't imagine it being much more.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

This is true. Is Williams in such a dire financial state that they need Stroll and Sirotkin on top of a generous title sponsorship? Sirotkin is mildly impressive in junior formula and may well beat Stroll, but that's not really an upwards trajectory for the team.

Penfold

I certainly wouldn't accuse Williams of being on an upwards trajectory....  Perhaps they're factoring in what that extra cash could buy in terms of car performance - a decent in-season development programme wouldn't go amiss.  Makes one marvel at how Force India manages so well on such a tight budget.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)