News:

Welcome to the MF1 Forum

Main Menu

2018 Driver Speculation

Started by Chrill, March 22, 2017, 01:15:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrill

More Polish news. Robert Kubica has tested at Paul Ricard where he and Renault confirm that he has no physical limitations preventing him from returning to F1. He'd have to fit most buttons on the left side of the steering wheel so that he can switch his switches and button his buttons. That's it.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/40587621

"I have not yet driven a current F1 car. I could not be ready for Silverstone [this weekend's British Grand Prix]. It would take me two days of tests in a current car. That would accelerate my chances 1,000%."

Renault F1 managing director Cyril Abiteboul said it was "too early to say" and that plenty more testing would need to be done to assess Kubica's fitness.

A run in a 2017 car could come in the official F1 two-day test at the Hungaroring on 1-2 August - the Tuesday and Wednesday after the Hungarian Grand Prix - but Abiteboul said it was "too early to say if Robert will be with us in Budapest".

http://en.f1i.com/news/273324-kubica-drives-2017-spec-car-renault-simulator.html

He has also tested a 2017 Renault F1 car in the simulator, and was positive about that experience.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Penfold

So then the only question which remains is when....
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Well, if Renault decides to give him 1-2 days after Hungaroring, he could theoretically be ready to race at Spa. Hungaroring, which hosts the tests, is the final race before summer break. There's plenty of time to evaluate him at Hungaroring and then decide it. If he's capable of two full days of testing, then he sure is ready to compete again. The only question remaining then is his ability for wheel to wheel combat.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Chrill

Hamilton implies this may be his final season in F1, all the while admitting that such a development would be highly unlikely since he is driving better than ever according to himself.

http://www.grandprix247.com/2017/07/17/hamilton-i-cant-really-say-what-will-happen-six-months-from-now/

Chrill

Let's make some predictions! Going for some less likely rumours, but all in all it's a rather calm transfer market. Most teams maintain their lineups. The standouts are Perez to Ferrari and Sainz to Renault. Also Haas kicks out Grosjean for Leclerc. Might as well kick Magnussen out really.

Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport:
44. Lewis Hamilton
77. Valtteri Bottas

Red Bull Racing:
3. Daniel Ricciardo
33. Max Verstappen

Scuderia Ferrari:
5. Sebastian Vettel
11. Sergio Perez

Force India F1 Team:
31. Esteban Ocon
94. Pascal Wehrlein

Williams Martini Racing:
18. Lance Stroll
19. Felipe Massa

McLaren Mercedes Formula 1 Team: (see what I did there?)
2. Stoffel Vandoorne
14. Fernando Alonso

Scuderia Toro Rosso:
26. Daniil Kvyat
?. Pierre Gasly

Haas F1 Team:
20. Kevin Magnussen
?. Charles Leclerc

Renault Sport Formula One Team:
27. Nico Hülkenberg
55. Carlos Sainz Jr.

Sauber F1 Team:
8. Romain Grosjean
9. Marcus Ericsson

Drawbacks here:
Why would Grosjean go to Sauber? Well, Sauber aligns with Ferrari and Grosjean is too good to leave F1. Simple as that.
Why would Giovinazzi NOT be in F1? Well, Ferrari is focusing on Leclerc.
Why would Ferrari sign Perez? Well, why not?
Why would Force India sign Wehrlein? Well, Mercedes made them.

Penfold

Two-day test in Hungary in a fortnight will give us a huge clue as to whether Kubica will be in a Renault next year.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Is that so? I have not heard confirmation about him testing for Renault there.

Penfold

Will he/won't he be at the test, that will provide the huge clue.... :D
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

The fact Mercedes has to deny speculation means it's a rumour worth including. If only to highlight the so-called silly season.

Lewis Hamilton to Ferrari?
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/wolff-mercedes-hamilton-ferrari-932345/

Penfold

By far the silliest of the silly season.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

AMuS (Auto Motor und Sport) is announcing that Renault will be fielding Nicolas Latifi at the Hungaroring test, for one day. The other day, the one for "normal" drivers, will be dedicated to Robert Kubica.

This means that, if AMuS is right (they usually are), Kubica will get a full day in a 2017 car on modern tyres. Palmer will not get a single day of inseason testing, since two out of 4 days are for rookies and the Hulk has already had one day.

Penfold

Assuming all goes well at the test we should see Kubica back in F1... and the back of Palmer in F1.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Well, we currently have two drivers rumoured to Renault for 2018 or even this year. Sainz or Kubica. Either Sainz is a backup to the Polish driver, or Hulkenberg is being approached by someone like Ferrari. Or, third option, one of the two simply isn't being approached by Renault.

We can all agree that Palmer racing for Renault is 2018 is not just unlikely, it's next to impossible. Hulkenberg + Sainz + Kubica = 3. Car + car = 2. Monisha Kaltenborn is needed to sort that out.

Penfold

:)

Like the sound of Hulk to Ferrari; if his efforts this year don't garner him a top drive then nothing will.  Trying to think if he signed a multi-year deal with Renault requiring a buyout, this could then provide the cash to pay Red Bull for Sainz.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Never mind the last bit, seems as if Sainz is staying put: http://www.grandprix247.com/2017/07/18/sainz-i-am-confirmed-for-toro-rosso-next-year/

Are they really going to keep hold of Kvyat as well?  What a fun team environment....
- Chrill (28/09/2018)