News:

Welcome to the MF1 Forum

Main Menu

2018 Driver Speculation

Started by Chrill, March 22, 2017, 01:15:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrill

Kvyat will be missing a race if he gets 3 points or more from now until October. That's a lot of racing where he cannot score points.

I'd say there's more than 50% chance Gasly will have to replace Kvyat due to reaching 12 points in a year.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Matt

I fully supported giving Kvyat the full season after dropping him from RBR last year. It was worth finding out if he could get his confidence back and drive better consistently. But it seems pretty clear now that he can't, and I don't know why they're apparently keeping him another year.

Chrill

Because Gasly is the only Red Bull junior even permitted to join F1. The others are too young or have too few FIA points.

Gasly did win GP2, but is considered weaker than Sainz or Kvyat. If they do lose Sainz, they cannot also lose Kvyat because it would mean drafting an external driver.

I could see Leclerc or Giovinazzi get a Toro Rosso seat though, with Ferrari paying for it. Doubt it would happen though.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Matt

They've brought in outside drivers before, including Vettel. Kvyat has not notably improved since he came into F1 and has no future in F1. Even if they think Gasly is worse, there's no reason not to give him a chance and see what happens. STR has dropped far better drivers than Kvyat who had been there "too long" and had nowhere to advance, including Buemi and Alguersuari.

Chrill

Yes, indeed they have. But who could they bring in? Someone young, with a very bright future, and not connected to another team?

I still believe Robin Frijns would do a marvelous job but in F1 rookie terms he is now old.

Chrill

Haas confirms unchanged 2018 lineup.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/haas-retains-grosjean-magnussen-933321/

And in regards to Kubica, the only roadblock remaining (assuming he can actually cope physically with the driving) is demonstrating to the FIA that he can get out of the car within five seconds. This is apparently a specific condition in order to be granted a super license.

Chrill

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/kubica-drive-renault-hungaroring-test-933962/

Yes. It has been confirmed by Renault. Kubica will indeed drive for one of the two days at the post-Hungaroring test.

Penfold

Huh.  I thought you said this a few days ago... perhaps my mind has finally gone.  Good news whatever the timing, unless your surname happens to be Palmer.
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

I said that it was reported in German media, but never officially confirmed.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/matsushita-sauber-hungary-test-933992/
Matsushita will drive one day for Sauber, Gustav Malja the other.

This confirms two things:
1) Sauber-Honda is still on.
2) Sauber Swedish is very much true.

Malja is mediocre at best in GP2. (F2, sorry). Even Ericsson was better at the time. Matsushita is a McLaren junior.

Chrill

I'm just going to, you know. Put this out there.

Kubica, if his test with Renault goes well next week, might replace Daniil Kvyat at Toro Rosso for the latter half of the 2017 season.

Penfold

- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Matt

If I had to pick two drivers that should be out at the end of the season, it's Palmer and Kvyat.

Penfold

Certainly no tears shed if they both exit.

Either Antonio Giovinazzi or Charles 'It is I' Leclerc into Sauber as part of new engine agreement?
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Quote from: Matt on July 27, 2017, 09:41:24 AM
If I had to pick two drivers that should be out at the end of the season, it's Palmer and Kvyat.

Chrill

http://www.grandprix247.com/2017/07/28/hamilton-leaving-mercedes-is-a-difficult-call-to-make/
Hamilton will not leave Mercedes before he retires. As in, "I won't race with another team in F1".