News:

Welcome to the MF1 Forum

Main Menu

2018 Driver Speculation

Started by Chrill, March 22, 2017, 01:15:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrill

Watching FP1 from Spa. Swedish commentary, and Marcus Ericsson agent, Eje Elgh accidentally confirmed that Wehrlein needs to find a new seat for 2018 because he's not staying at Sauber.

He also implied Ericsson might replace Massa at Williams rather than staying at Sauber before turning back and saying Ferrari won't be putting both Leclerc and Giovinazzi in F1 next year.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Penfold

What I imagined Ferrari would do... question is which one?  Gio because he's already had a brief foray into F1... or the talent of 'It is I' Leclerc?

I guess the Ericsson to Williams story hangs on whether Stroll stays put for next year.
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Quote from: Penfold on August 25, 2017, 03:39:27 AMGio because he's already had a brief foray into F1... or the talent of 'It is I' Leclerc?

Well, 3 things speak in Leclerc's advantage.

1) Leclerc is more dominant in F2(GP2) than perhaps anyone ever has been
2) Giovinazzi made a mess of his final Sauber apperance as well as his Haas practice debut
3) Giovinazzi is apparently a proven simulator master, helping propel Ferrari to Hungaroring success.

Keeping Giovinazzi as third driver for Ferrari, Haas, and Sauber would make sense then.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Chrill

5. Sebastian Vettel (link)

Apparently Vettel was confirmed at Ferrari a few days back. I missed that. I suppose it's major non-news.

Penfold

Saw it, couldn't be bothered to mention it.

Also seen speculation that Massa will be out of Williams at year end... and some outlandish rumours that Alonso will take his spot.  Not sure why Fernando would be keen to do so.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

I have heard the Alonso-Williams connection. I don't see why he would go there, their car is not very good this year. Who knows if Paddy can turn that around for 2018?

Also in the rumour mill is Ericsson to Williams. A more likely contender to replace Massa, perhaps.

Chrill

Chrill

Or Sauber, for Kubica? That would surely be a Ferrari tie appealing to the Polish driver. I'd assume it's a Kubica-Leclerc tie then. Link coming soon.

EDIT: Here's the Kubica-Sauber report, also including the Alonso-Williams rumour:
http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opinion/f1/williams-alonso-or-kubica

And a new table, comprising all the latest reports. INCLUDING Honda and Renault for Toro Rosso and McLaren respectively.

Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport:
44. Lewis Hamilton (link)
77. Valtteri Bottas (link)

Scuderia Ferrari:
5. Sebastian Vettel (link)
7. Kimi Räikkönen (link)

Red Bull Racing:
3. Daniel Ricciardo (link)
33. Max Verstappen (link)

Force India F1 Team:
31. Esteban Ocon
11. Sergio Perez (link)
18. Lance Stroll (link)
?. Lucas Auer (link)

Williams Martini Racing:
14. Fernando Alonso (link)
18. Lance Stroll (link)
19. Felipe Massa (link)
?. Luca Ghiotto (link)
?. Robert Kubica (link)

Scuderia Toro Rosso: (Honda?)
26. Daniil Kvyat (link)
55. Carlos Sainz Jr. (link)
?. Nobuharu Matsushita (link)
?. Pierre Gasly (link)

Haas F1 Team:
8. Romain Grosjean (link)
20. Kevin Magnussen (link)

Renault Sport Formula One Team:
27. Nico Hülkenberg
?. Oliver Rowland (link)
?. Robert Kubica (link)

McLaren Honda Formula 1 Team: (Renault?)
2. Stoffel Vandoorne (link)

Sauber F1 Team:
9. Marcus Ericsson (link)
?. Charles Leclerc (link)
?. Robert Kubica (link)

Penfold

Alonso to Williams sounds as crazy today as the first time I heard it, way back at the beginning of September.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Marcus Ericsson to Williams?
http://www.expressen.se/sport/motor/uppgifter-ericsson-nara-nytt-toppstall/

Learn Swedish. Do it.

The source is his manager who also commentates F1 for Swedish TV. To translate, "there is a seat at Williams, WE BELIEVE, available for next year. Every day it is becoming increasingly likely that Marcus is in a position to take that seat"

That reads like a near confirmation to me. Not that I see why Williams would pick Marcus but still.

Chrill

Bottas confirmed for another one year deal at Mercedes. One can assume it contains a clause for 2019 too.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/bottas-secures-mercedes-contract-for-2018-952398/

Penfold

Marcus to Williams would have to be driven by good old moolah; but would it be to replace Massa (so two pay drivers), or is there still a chance of Stroll taking his charms elsewhere?
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

I will answer you with this:

Marcus Ericsson, to Swedish Viasat (our Sky, basically): "Yes, there is contact with Williams"

Eje Elgh, Marcus' agent and Viasat commentary, just seconds ago: "No. I do not think Massa will stay at Williams for 2018. It's just a hunch. I think he is going to Formula E."

Reading between the lines, it's a Stroll-Ericsson pairing for 2018 and it's virtually done by now. Ericsson is matching the former future world champion Wehrlein so I don't think it's a massive step down for Williams to take Ericsson in. He is a safe reliable team player, but not very exciting. He'll frequently deliver 6-7/10 drives, rarely better and rarely worse.

A second rumour, which is more along the lines of pure speculation, but Sauber wants to replace Ericsson with Felix Rosenqvist. Which I think most F1 fans would approve of. This is definitely nothing concrete, it's barely even a whisper, but I like the sound of two Swedes in F1.

Chrill

Chrill