News:

Welcome to the MF1 Forum

Main Menu

2017 Season - Rate the Drivers

Started by Chrill, March 26, 2017, 01:24:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrill

Quote from: Penfold on November 16, 2017, 12:56:30 AM
Quote from: Chrill on November 15, 2017, 02:42:23 PMForce India: If it can't be forced, just force it.

You see, if Ocon was inconsistent like KMag I'd simply call him Offon.  Damn guy insists on being fast at every race.

No idea for Perez.
There we have it then. Ocon is called KMag 2. Perez, logically, is then referred to merely as "Token latino guy" courtesy of being the only South American on the grid.

Also, flags it is. I found a download with ALL THE FLAGS OF THE WORLD, so no matter where potential future races are held (European GP, Aland Islands GP, Greenland GP, Vanuatu GP), I've got you covered.

Speaking of Aland Islands, I just learnt about this tiny speck of island which is divided by Sweden and Finland. Weird.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A4rket
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Penfold

Seems like some prime real estate.

Hmm, KMag 2... I rather like that.  The other option is 'Not Offon'.  Or perhaps 'Onon'.  Damn it, now I'm confused.
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

I shall translate all their names literally into Swedish, or from, Swedish

Hamilton. Ham = Skinka, ton is Swedish for note (musical). Skank-note it is.
Bottas. Bot = Cure, tas = takes. So Bottas is "Curetaker". Let's make him the caretaker.

Vettel. Vet = Know. Tel is short for telephone, so he's a smartphone.
Raikkonen. Now this is a handful. Let's be liberal. R?kor = Shrimp. Kungen = The King. So he's Shrimp king.

Ricciardo. Well, Ricc (Rik) = Rich. Ardo, let's interpret it as ?ro, which is an old Swedish form of is. So Ricciardo "is rich".
Verstappen. Vers = Verse. Tapp = Drop. So, he drops the verse. The beat. He's a DJ. DJ Max!

Perez. Er = Your (plural). Your. EZ. You are easy. Perez is now called "Difficulty: Beginner".
Ocon. O = prefix for not. Con = The Cow. So Ocon is not the cow. Let's call him Horse.

Stroll. St is short for Saint. Roll means role, as in the cast of a movie where you play the role of something. So he's Saint Hollywood.
Kubica. Because let's toy with the idea it's him. Kub = Cube. Ica is a grocery store, kind of like the British Tesco. So "Tesco Cube" it is.

Hartley. H?rt = Hard. Ley -> Leja = Hire (usually for criminal activity). So Hartley must surely be the Hard Con.
Gasly. Gas = Gas (hmm). Ly -> lya = (Bachelor's) pad/mancave, etc. So that makes him the Flatulent man.

Sainz. Sa = Said. Inz -> Inse = Realise. Sainz is "That's what she said".
Hulkenberg. Hulka = Throw up. En = One. Berg = Mountain. "Vomit Mountain" is a great name.

Grosjean. Gro = Grow. Sje -> Ske = Happen. I think Grosjean just became Boner man.
Magnussen. Magnus = a name. Sen = Late. He's therefore Unnamed Driver #1.

Alonso. Al = a tree (Alder). Ons = Wednesday (abbrev). Clearly, Alonso is the Midweek Woodworker.
Vandoorne. Van = Used to (something). Door -> D?r = Dying. OK, he's used to dying. There's a name in there somewhere.

Ericsson. Er = Your. ICs = Intercity trains (commuter trains!). On = On. So, Ericsson is the Train driver.
Leclerc. Le = Smile. Clerc -> Kl?r = Dresses. He's dressed for success, with that smile. So he's the Yes Man.

Patent pending.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Penfold

Some of those are hilarious.  Vomit Mountain... what a name  ;D

As for Kubica's potential return, would 'The One-Armed Bandit' be a touch too insensitive?
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

My favorites in there are Shrimp King, The Caretaker, and Horse.

Chrill

Also, I touted the idea of using this system in a Formula 1 Facebook group (Swedish) that I regularly post in. They were keen on joining for next year. Would you like to keep our list separate or be included in a larger document with more people?

Penfold

Stick us all in together: it will be interesting to see how others score it.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Well Abu Dhabi was boooooring. I'm a bit glad the season is over.

Mercedes:
Lewis Hamilton - 6/10 (Finished where he qualified. Looked set to take on Bottas but then sort of didn't)
Valtteri Bottas - 8/10 (Did keep Hamilton at bay courtesy of qualifying ahead. Was this a grand slam? Pole, fastest lap, lead every lap? Or did he not lead all laps?)

Red Bull:
Daniel Ricciardo - 7/10 (Much faster than Maximus this weekend but then kind of retired)
Max Verstappen - 5/10 (Not great. Shadowed Kimi the entire race but never got within one second and thus never could attack)

Ferrari:
Sebastian Vettel - 7/10 (Also quite mediocre, although easily beat his team mate. Meh)
Kimi Raikkonen - 5/10 (He's just missing something. It's not all there)

Force India:
Sergio Perez - 8/10 (Ahead of team mate. That's all we require)
Esteban Ocon - 7/10 (Behind team mate. That's not the best. Still solid P8)

Williams:
Felipe Massa - 8/10 (He scored points, he beat Stroll over the season despite missing one race. Good for him. The old double retiree is still faster than the kid)
Lance Stroll - 4/10 (Woeful. Awful. Lack of anything exciting whatsoever. Sorry Lancia)

McLaren:
Fernando Alonso - 9/10 (McLaren scores 2 points on a track like Abu Dhabi? Good. They shouldn't)
Stoffel Vandoorne - 5/10 (Something like half a minute behind Alonso by the end, if not more. Not good enough)

Toro Rosso:
Pierre Gasly - 4/10 (Both Toro Rossos really slow today, Gasly spinning it and thus finishing behind his team mate. Disappointed)
Brendon Hartley - 6/10 (Better than Gasly, but not by too much. Started last after qualifying last, and then beat the Frenchie. Acceptable but not much more)

Haas:
Romain Grosjean - 7/10 (The Haas cars have lost momentum in the last few races, so P11 was maybe the best Grosjean could do)
Kevin Magnussen - 5/10 (Spun it at the start and then played catchup. Only just held off the Sauber/Toro Rosso train at the end)

Renault:
Nico Hulkenberg - 9/10 (P6 is good, and it ensures Renault overtakes Toro Rosso in the final standings too)
Carlos Sainz Jr - 7/10 (Was running in the points courtesy of a long first stint. Then some dude forgot that tyres need to be attached to the car. And then he retired)

Sauber:
Marcus Ericsson - 6/10 (Only just beaten in quali, and in terms of seconds only just beaten in the race, but overall not nearly as strong as Wehrlein this weekend)
Pascal Wehrlein - 8/10 (A fair bit faster in the first stint got him ahead of the Toro Rossos. He then stayed there. The better Sauber)

Driver of the race? Hmm, the Hulk gets that one. Honorable mention to Alonso and not many others.

Penfold

Oops, forgotten all about this.  Will get my ratings sorted beginning of next week.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

By which I meant Monday... and nobody's more surprised than I to see this post crafted a day earlier then threatened (though obviously still almost two weeks late).

The always (never) exciting Abu Dhabi:

Merc:
Hammy - 6 - Massively dominant car this weekend but beaten by the chap in the other massively dominant car.   
Val - 8 - This fellow right here.

Red Bull
The Pie Man - 7 - Fast but the car didn't make it (don't remember why since the race was so dull I paid little attention).
Max - 6 - Slower than Mr. Pie Man.

Ferrari:
Seb - 7 - Well ahead of Kimi.
Kimi - 5 - Well behind Seb.

Force India:
Perez - 7 - Practically nothing between the two FI guys.
Ocon - 7 - What I just said.

Williams
Baby - 7 - A point in his final race.  Shame the car wasn't up to more but at least he got something.
Stroller - 3 - More than one whole second off Massa in Q2.  Fuck me.

McHonda
Aslan - 8 - Another typical high-calibre outing for the Lion.
Van Door - 5 - Not blowing me away with his drives.

Toro Rosso:
Gasly - 5 - Reasonable effort up until he spun it.
J.R. - 5 - Slower than Gasly but finished ahead courtesy of error-free racing.

Haas:
Big Jean - 7 - Not bad to come home eleventh in a Haas.
Son of Magnus - 5 - Okay.  Barely.

Renault:
Hulk - 8 - Very good - as we've come to expect.  Tempted to award a nine but I'm feeling a little mean today....
Sainz - 6 - Off Hulk's pace in quali, racing okay, then team forgot that all wheels need to be attached.

Sauber:
Chrill's mate Marcus - 5 - Matched Pascal in quali but not in the race.
Blaise - 7 - Matched Marcus in quali then beat him in the race.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Brilliant. Time for some end-of-year statistics, as you were.

Penfold, your average rating over the season is 6.704. My average rating is 6.748. I rate drivers on average a tiiiiny bit higher than you, but the difference is negligible.

You awarded a perfect 10 a total of sixteen times this year, 8 of them came in the first four races. I awarded 10 a total of twelve times, and more evenly spread over the year too.

The driver with most 10-pointers is Lewis Hamilton, thrice by you (China, Britain, Belgium) and four times by me (China, Britain, Belgium, Singapore).

The driver beaten the most thoroughly by their team mate is Palmer according to both you and I. In my eyes, Hulkenberg averaged 2.538 better than Palmer. You claim the Hulk beat Palmer by 2.857.

The drivers most evenly matched according to you is Ericsson and Wehrlein. On average, Ericsson bettered Wehrlein by 0.188. Gasly outperformed Hartley by 0.050 but this is based on 3 races together. I claim that the most even pairing was Perez and Ocon, where Ocon outperformed Perez by a meagre 0.012 points over the course of the season. In comparison, you feel that Ocon scored 0.221 better than Perez.

Only Giovinazzi scored the same rating from both of us, averaging 5.500 over two races. Of the regulars, the most evenly matched driver between us is Kevin Magnussen. You rated him 5.850 and I rated him -0.008 less.

The biggest scoring difference is indeed, as we noticed earlier, Max Verstappen. Your rating of 7.941 is 0.879 higher than my rating, despite a decent 9-9-10-9 run that I awarded him near the end of the year.

Our actual rating is this, awarded in F1 championship points style:

25: Sebastian Vettel, 7.915
18: Daniel Ricciardo, 7.734
15: Fernando Alonso, 7.708
12: Lewis Hamilton, 7.536
10: Max Verstappen, 7.502
8: Nico H?lkenberg, 7.487
6: Esteban Ocon, 7.322
4: Sergio Perez, 7.205
2: Felipe Massa, 7.194
1: Valtteri Bottas, 6.979
----
Outside of the top, here's the rest of this list:
11: Carlos Sainz, Jr., 6.732
12: Kimi R?kk?nen, 6.724
13: Marcus Ericsson, 6.493
14: Pascal Wehrlein, 6.298
15: Romain Grosjean, 6.076
16: Stoffel Vandoorne, 5.918
17: Lance Stroll, 5.849
18: Kevin Magnussen, 5.846
19: Daniil Kvyat, 5.302
20: Jolyon Palmer , 4.786

The absolute lowest average was Jenson Button, with a 2.500 after his one-off in Monaco. The highest rated temporary driver is Paul Di Resta, average 6.500 after his Hungary drive for Williams.

The lowest rated driver to secure a 10-pointer was Lance Stroll, who scored 10 by me in Azerbaijan (you awarded him 9). The higest double-10 was Romain Grosjean, awarded 10 by us both in Austria.

In total, including all 25 drivers who completed at least one race this year, you rated 10 of them higher than I did. I rated 14 of them higher than you, and 1 driver shared the same rating.

Chrill

For 2018, I have pimped the document:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dnPSeVbYFM6KP0SW2SPGzJch7KAiLuaUvD4hpSWSHek/edit?usp=sharing

I have saved the precious 2017 document here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KE9Cy6sqEz8qBSnljQ7s_Z1HVNnUl1u0xVHeEBQCA4A/edit?usp=sharing

I've added some fake numbers just to test some of the new algorithms, so you can check out what happens if for example I forget to rate a race or if a driver scores X, or isn't participating.

I've also prepared the document for future members (Matt? Ljud? Cabanacat? Someone else?). One of the changes required for that was, under Comparison, to showcase a "Highest" as well as "lowest" average and then compute the difference between those two values. What I did for 2017 is I simply checked the difference between yours and mine, but if other people join then the equation needs to look at whichever two values are the most extreme.

All the equations can fit a virtually unlimited number of references, so even if 100s of people join this document can manage. Not that I'd bother to do this for 100 people  :P

Penfold

Tad busy right now but will give the 2017 stats and your 2018 document a proper look-see later on.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Penfold

Blame Christmas.

2018 document continues to be very pleasing on the eye.  One tweak to consider for the 'comparison' page: if there will be more than just the two of us scoring, then for ease of comparison how about showing each member's average for each driver?  Highest and lowest scores highlighted.

2017 - How the hell did I end up scoring Kvyat almost half a point higher than you?  I'm truly baffled.  And I'm slightly baffled at how Dan the Pie Man finished as your top scorer....

Seems I went a bit nuts with the perfect tens in the first few races: over-excitement at the start of a new season?  Let's see if it happens this year, well, next year unless you're reading this in five+ days' time.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)