News:

Welcome to the MF1 Forum

Main Menu

Formula E (Electric Dreams)

Started by Penfold, March 03, 2017, 01:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

Mercedes will be dropping out of DTM and entering Formula E instead.

Also worth noting that, just under three months ago, Penfold was pretty sure Kubica had no chance of returning to F1. But now it's hidden on the first page so no one will ever see it

Chrill

Is there any German marque not entering Formula E?

Audi is joining next season, followed by BMW in 2018-19 and also Mercedes in the 2019-20 season.

I am half expecting a Red Bull team before long.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Penfold

One in, all in.  Wonder if the grid will be upped from its current twenty cars?

Quote from: Matt on July 24, 2017, 02:18:31 PMAlso worth noting that, just under three months ago, Penfold was pretty sure Kubica had no chance of returning to F1. But now it's hidden on the first page so no one will ever see it

Then I'll reproduce it below:

Quote from: Penfold on May 03, 2017, 03:50:59 AM
Quote from: Chrill on May 05, 2017, 12:35:09 AM
Quote from: Penfold on May 05, 2017, 04:26:17 AM
Might see Kubica racing in FE later in the year: https://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/news/kubica-tests-formula-e-car-at-donington-park-901206/

Kubica is clearly flirting with single seaters again. BRING HIM BACK TO F1.
Unfortunately, I think that ship has sailed.

Which was not an unreasonable view at the time given the widespread belief that his damaged hand still couldn't cope with the rigours of F1.  Then, about a month later, it was announced he'd have a demo run in a five-year-old Renault motor and happily this went so well that a return to the top flight was on.
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Anyone catch the Montreal race yesterday?  Probably the best track layout I've seen for FE and it helped produce an entertaining race - of course Buemi & Bird being out of position after quali didn't hurt.  Then there was the post-race show with Buemi ranting at anyone in a race suit... fantastic stuff.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Matt

I watched both races this weekend and they were both good. But they usually are. Buemi completely fell apart this weekend, but it's worth remembering that Di Grassi only beat him because Buemi missed the two races in New York.

Penfold

That's true.  The Renault is still the car to beat what with Buemi winning six of the ten races he started - not even a podium for Nico Prost....

Anyway, Formula E bigwigs have come to their senses and not only added another couple of races for next season, but have given the calendar a good old squish with race one shunted back from early October to early December.

Round               City                              Country                       Date

1                      Hong Kong                    China                            December 2, 2017         

2                      Hong Kong                    China                            December 3, 2017

3                      Marrakesh                     Morocco                        January 13, 2018

4                      Santiago                        Chile                            February 3, 2018

5                      Mexico City                    Mexico                         March 3, 2018

6                      Sao Paulo*                      Brazil                           March 17, 2018

7                      Rome                             Italy                             April 14, 2018

8                      Paris                             France                           April 28, 2018

9                      TBA**                            Germany                       May 19, 2018

10                    TBA**                            TBA**                           June 9, 2018

11                    New York City               USA                              July 7, 2018***

12                    New York City               USA                              July 8, 2018***

13                    Montreal                       Canada                          July 28, 2018

14                    Montreal                       Canada                          July 29, 2018

* Subject to confirmation
** Venue to be announced
*** Date to be confirmed
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Rosenqvist finished 3rd in his rookie season. For Mahindra, which isn't supposed to be a Formula E front runner. Here's hoping he can drive the Mercedes backed cars when they join the grid for the 2018/19 season. He is too good to be in Formula E though...
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Matt

He's wanted basically everywhere other than F1, including IndyCar: http://motorsports.nbcsports.com/2017/07/31/as-formula-e-season-ends-rosenqvists-indycar-buzz-heats-up/

IndyCar is still seen as above Formula E, I think, but there's reportedly more money for drivers in Formula E. The WEC is totally up in the air right now with only one LMP1 manufacturer left (until Toyota drops out too,) so that's probably not an option. I'm sure any other series would love to have him, but I think Formula E would win out over anything else. IMSA is growing a lot right now, with Penske joining DPi with Acura and Joest taking over Mazda's efforts. It could be more attractive than WEC right now.

Chrill

Formula E or IndyCar should be the way forward. With Mercedes ditching DTM for Formula E, and Rosenqvist formerly a Mercedes affiliated driver, he would make perfect sense for them to lead their charge.

I don't see why George Russel of GP3 is doing at Hungaroring today/tomorrow. Should be Felix driving that car!

Matt

With all of the LMP1 programs shutting down, there are going to be a lot of top drivers available though. And most of the announced Formula E entries are still another full season away.

I want him in IndyCar. He would be the perfect next piece for Ganassi with Dixon getting older.

Chrill

I don't want him to be another Kenny Brack, though! He was too good not to race in F1. Poor bloke. Nice bloke too. Supposedly he is the one that made Longbow Finance buy Sauber. With Swedish backers.

Matt

I think he should be in F1, but that chance is probably gone.

Matt

Anyone up for a fantasy Formula E mini-season? We?d use essentially the same rules as MF1, with weekly picks by weekend instead of by race. We?d have to decide if we want the double races to count for half each or as a full race each. There are only 11 weekends. Draft order would be in reverse order of MF1 finishing position.

Chrill

I'm up for a Formula E season. And Rosenqvist is my pick. So that's sorted then.

Penfold

Count me in.  I'd say full points for each of the races in a double-header.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)