Potential new teams

Started by Penfold, July 11, 2017, 02:39:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penfold

"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

He's persistent, I shall give him that.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Penfold

What else does one need to get into F1?  Oh yeah, money, lots and lots of money.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Are you sure? Most new teams seem to lack just that.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Penfold

Well, they must have enough to sort a factory, pay an engine supplier, and build a couple of F1 cars; so many tens of millions to pump in as seed money - unless some kindly bank is mad enough to loan it.   Problem is having enough to keep the show rolling....
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Todt still waiting to receive a "serious offer" from any would-be F1 team: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/todt-no-serious-new-teams-948743/

Not much point in any independent outfit joining until money distribution gets sorted in 2020, and then you may as well wait another year for the Ross Brawn-crafted technical regulations to come into force.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

I could see teams joining for 2019, but only if backed by one of the major manufacturers. New teams probably looking at 2020-21 as you state.

Chrill

Another snippet I pick up is that a former team boss is said to be considering entering a new team from 2021/22, and was present in Silverstone investigating the lay of the land. It is too early to suggest that the project will fly so it would be unfair to name-drop, but sources suggest he was posing some serious questions. F1 needs at least one more team, so I hope the project comes off.

Quoting Dieter Rencken, respected F1 journalist, who keeps a "paddock diary" on racefans.net.
https://www.racefans.net/2019/07/15/paddock-diary-british-grand-prix-day-four-2/

Now let's go through all the photos from this weekend. Who was present?

Penfold

Some of the ones I spotted on TV: Daniel Craig, Michael Douglas, Nico Rosberg, Jackie Stewart, Steve Coogan, Mo Farah, Gareth Southgate, and Sebastian Coe.  Do any of those names leap out as potential team owners? :)

Edit: Forget all that, I just realised it says "former team boss"....
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Okay, so let's try and think of a few former team bosses: Dave Richards, Craig Pollack, Monisha '3 into 2 does go' Kaltenborn, Eddie Jordan (at least we know he was at Silverstone), Alain Prost (no chance of resurrecting Prost Grand Prix), Peter Sauber, a zombie Ken Tyrrell, Ron 'my voice is a cure for insomnia' Dennis, Richard Branson (too busy with space), John Booth of Marussia fame, and, umm, that's about it from me.  Any to add?
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Well, Jackie Stewart was clearly there, was was Jean Todt. ;D

Penfold

Too old and too much of an FIA President. :)
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Briatore? I'd say he's a likely candidate for trying something foolish like starting a new F1 team from scratch.

Penfold

Who?  Name doesn't sound familiar.  Was he involved in any particularly memorable moments in F1's history? ;)
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Well, I assume you refer to him dating Heidi Klum. Other than that, I guess you refer to him stealing Schumacher from Jordan. Surely, that must be it.