News:

Welcome to the MF1 Forum

Main Menu

IndyCar

Started by Penfold, July 25, 2017, 01:55:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penfold

Superspeedway:

More here: http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a10351934/the-2018-indycar-looks-stunning/

I like the look and I like the fact that a bigger chunk of downforce will be generated from underneath the car.
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Looks a bit more F1 and a bit less Indy, while at the same time definitely maintaining that Indy look.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Matt

I prefer the road course aero, which I think gets unveiled and tested next week. Bigger front and rear wings make it look better proportionally.

Penfold

Road course aero:

New bodywork to generate a good chunk less downforce than current version, which is just a tad different from F1's approach....

Some blurb: https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/indycar-road-course-aero-kit-test-937534/

- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Britich chap Jordan King trying his hand at IndyCar (but not the ovals) for 2018: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/42573966

Late last year I noticed some kind souls posting full races on YouTube, if they do the same again I shall be watching the whole season - or at least all of the street courses, I'm not a massive fan of oval racing.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Quote from: Penfold on January 09, 2018, 05:01:00 AM
Britich chap Jordan King trying his hand at IndyCar (but not the ovals) for 2018: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/42573966

Late last year I noticed some kind souls posting full races on YouTube, if they do the same again I shall be watching the whole season - or at least all of the street courses, I'm not a massive fan of oval racing.
We do get the races in Sweden, on the same channel that airs F1. One of few advantages with our current TV setup is that Viasat (our Sky, basically) owns practically all motorsport. DTM airs on Eurosport, I believe Formula E does too, but everything else on 2 or 4 wheels can be found on Viasat.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Penfold

Sky has the best of the bunch over here - F1, F2, GP2, GP3, NASCAR - whilst BT shows Indycar, European F3, DTM, WRC.  F1 on free-to-air for this year (half live races, half extended highlights), and Formula E can also be watched by anyone - but that contract ends this year so good chance there will be zero live motorsport on FTA TV in 2019.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Matt

IndyCar posts the full races to YouTube directly. I can?t remember if it?s on the Monday or Tuesday following, or if it?s a full week later.

For oval races, Indy is obviously a must-watch. The old aero made for awful racing at short ovals, but if the new aero solves that problem, which it?s supposed to, then Phoenix, Gateway, and Iowa should all have great shows. That leaves Texas and Pocono. Texas is all over the place. I personally don?t like pack racing in IndyCars, it scares me too much. But they?ve occasionally gone too far in the other direction and the race gets too spread out. Pocono is like Indy, except there are less cars, so it also tends to get too spread out.

Penfold

Ahh, so it was an official YouTube channel, I clearly wasn't paying attention.  Quick search shows last year's races were uploaded 4 days after the event - fortunately avoiding IndyCar results in the UK media is a piece of piss.

Looking forward to getting back into the series, been years since I've really watched it; and yeah, I'll give the ovals a chance to see how the revised aero pans out.  Interesting mix of drivers: a few 'old timers' still doing the rounds, a smattering of ex-F1 guys, some young British chaps for me to cheer on for no reason other than being born on the same patch of rock, and the rest....

For my reference, the 2018 Calendar:

Rd.   Date         Track                                             City
01    March 11  (S) Streets of St. Petersburg        St. Petersburg, Florida
02    April 7      (O) ISM Raceway                           Avondale, Arizona
03    April 15    (S) Streets of Long Beach              Long Beach, California
04    April 22    (R) Barber Motorsports Park          Leeds, Alabama
05    May 12    (R) Indianapolis Road Course         Speedway, Indiana
06    May 27    (O) Indianapolis Motor Speedway  Speedway, Indiana
07    June 2     (S) Belle Isle Park                           Detroit, Michigan
08    June 3      As above
09    June 9     (O) Texas Motor Speedway            Fort Worth, Texas
10    June 24   (R) Road America                           Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin
11    July 8      (O) Iowa Speedway                       Newton, Iowa
12    July 15    (S) Exhibition Place                        Toronto, Ontario
13    July 29    (R) Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course      Lexington, Ohio
14    Aug 19    (O) Pocono Raceway                      Long Pond, Pennsylvania
15    Aug 25    (O) Gateway Motorsports Park       Madison, Illinois
16    Sep 2      (R) Portland Int. Raceway              Portland, Oregon
17    Sep 16    (R) Sonoma Raceway                     Sonoma, California
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

IndyCar's windscreen development will get its first track run on Thursday.

Full story: https://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2018/02/03/indycar-alternative-f1-halo-test-thursday/
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

It should do what Vettel's aeroscreen did - Dizzify the driver. Yes, dizzify.

Penfold

Different shape to it by all accounts - it's more like the Red Bull aeroscreen.  Ferrari did something funky with the shape of theirs to minimize disruption of airflow into the old engine box, I think that's what caused the dizzification.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Matt

There are also rumors that Ferrari preferred the halo and therefore didn?t really attempt to make a working windscreen.

Anyway, the first official test for IndyCar started today and most of the teams unveiled their liveries. I don?t think there?s a better looking car in racing right now. Pictures: http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/147218-sonoma-indycar-testing-gallery#!IndyCarSonoma_2018_MarshallPruett_Mon26_2_035

Chrill

Well, there's the Be On Edge/Buzzin Hornets/Benson & Hedges inspired Jordan livery: