News:

Welcome to the MF1 Forum

Main Menu

IndyCar

Started by Penfold, July 25, 2017, 01:55:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penfold

The odd lurid livery aside, they are great looking motors.
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Proper shot of the rather great looking windscreen:

One to appreciate the thickness of this 'glass' (apparently it's four-tenths of an inch thick - about 1cm)
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

I can't find decent information about it, but would it be capable of deflecting what they want the halo to handle? If so, this should be implemented by F1 for 2019.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Chrill

"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Penfold

So they'll have to fiddle with the driver cooling but apart from that it all looks good.  I also can't find info. on windscreen strength - certainly looks substantially thicker than Red Bull's aeroscreen, but then that had a carbon fibre rim at the top for re-inforcement.  Actually, one of the FIA's issues with the aeroscreen was that said rim was too close to the driver's helmet.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Matt

The article says they use it for fighter jet canopies, so I think it should be fine to handle whatever could hit it. And it does not appear to be that close to his head.

Penfold

Re: Proximity to helmet - I can see where the FIA was coming from regarding Red Bull's aeroscreen as it does look quite tight to the driver:

Whereas the gap to the IndyCar screen is far more generous, which just means the FIA will have to pick a different reason to reject it in favour of their hideous halo:

- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Matt

Penfold

Won't click the link as I'm avoiding anything IndyCar until the race gets stuck up on YouTube.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

I'll click the link and, in order to be kind on Penfold and not describe the incident I'll simply say no penalty.

Penfold

Appreciated.  In future I shall steer clear of this thread whilst I'm waiting for a race to be stuck on YouTube.

I'm also going to say no penalty.  Optimistic by Rossi, especially with tyres & brakes cooled by running under caution, but still a racing incident for me.  If it was in F1 perhaps some points on his licence would be merited, if for nothing else just to stop him saying that it was all Wickens' fault.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Finally got round to watching the last two races - much more familiar with teams & drivers now which is aiding my enjoyment.

Faultless drive by Rossi at Long Beach, really never looked like anyone was going to touch him.

Loved the Barber track, not seen Indy for years so first time I've come across it.  Pity about the rain towards end of Monday's race, I was keenly waiting to see how it would all pan out between the one- and two-stoppers.  Then once it had rained and most had pitted for wets, I was hoping it would ease off so Bourdais could stay out for the remaining minutes - have a bit of a dice with Newgarden at the end.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Matt

Not sure how they uploaded the Barber race, but I assume it included the portion of the race that happened on Sunday. I was at the track all weekend, and watching the start of a true rain race was great. Unfortunately I had to come home on Sunday night, so I missed most of the race. I did watch it on my phone from work though.

I think Newgarden would have ended up winning regardless of the rain, but it probably would have required a fight with Bourdais on older tires.

Penfold

Oh yeah, the whole race was uploaded in one convenient package.  Sunday's portion made for some great viewing on the telly, doesn't compare with being there in person, but highly entertaining seeing guys like Sato moving through the field.  Newgarden was so strong in all conditions that I couldn't see anything other than a mechanical issue depriving him of the win; I mean he wasn't far off having a pit-stop sized gap back to Bourdais when the rain started up on Monday.  Just really impressive driving from him across the weekend.

Road race at Indy in a couple of weeks.  The course may not have the charm of Barber but hopefully we get a good race out of it, and then it's straight into Old Grandfather 500.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Matt

The Indy GP track is a little different than when F1 raced it. They have reconfigured the infield corners a bit, and a chicane bypasses oval turn 1. Still not a great track, but not bad.