News:

Welcome to the MF1 Forum

Main Menu

Testing Times

Started by Penfold, March 03, 2017, 08:02:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrill

Yes, Chuck Norris clearly carries a future in F1.

Very impressed that Kubica managed 140ish laps at a scorching hot (38 Celsius!) Hungaroring which is very narrow and twisty. His best lap times came at the end of the day too. Afterwards he said he was exhausted mentally but physically he could do it again tomorrow. So clearly he is capable of racing a 2017 car.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Matt

I think this is the best picture of Kubica's arm and you can really compare it to his left arm here. It's quite amazing that he can drive any racing car, much less an F1 car. Pure arm strength isn't that important in F1, but with the tightly enclosed space and everything else, it still has to be difficult.

Chrill

Yes, I saw that photo. His damage is so much more severe than I thought. The fact he completed two race distances with reliable and competitive laptimes is absurd. How is it possible?
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Chrill

Kubica's best lap so far is a 1:41.296. That puts him in P6 at the moment, ahead of for example Alonso but behind drivers such as Grosjean and H?lkenberg. It's faster than Stroll's FP1 time which is comparable considering how many laps they have completed, but not comparable considering the current track status. It's definitely more grippy after a full weekend of F1.

Chrill

Kubica fitted sexy hypersofts on his car today for some high speed quali style runs. The result? He was 0.2 seconds faster than Stroll's best lap in Q2 last Saturday.

Kubica: 1:39.485
Stroll: 1:39.646

Kubica was just under 2 seconds slower than Vettel in the Ferrari, also pushing the hypersofts. I mean, sure the hypers are softer than the supers, but if Kubica can already match (and edge ahead of) Stroll with this little running under his belt, surely he is a good candidate for a race seat.

Penfold

And a better candidate than the other options out there.
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Let us reuse this one.

First of all, weather is apparently so cold it may snow tomorrow. Talks are held about postponing one of the testing days to Monday next week which would tie into the second test.

Due to weather, there is absolutely no point in labelling Red Bull a world championship contender or labelling the Toro Rosso an apparent success. The only thing worth noting is the number of laps that every single team got through perfectly fine. Alonso binned it but still managed to get back out there and put some laps down. Sirotkin put his laps down in the afternoon when there was rain and temperatures around 5 Celsius. A bit too cold for F1 tyres.

Penfold

That's a shame.  With normal weather conditions the first day of testing is an incredibly accurate indicator of a team's true pace....
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Well... First day of 2017 testing was topped by Hamilton ahead of Vettel. Sauber and McLaren at the very bottom of the timesheets.

Penfold

I can't believe you automatically assumed I was being sarcastic....
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Aren't you always?

I've decided from these first two days that the 2018 Sauber is what the 2017 Sauber was. Among the worst.

Penfold

Can't argue with any of that.  And that statement is 100% sarcasm free.

Cold and very wet weather expected today in Barcelona, leading Haas to say: "I think if we're going to have a day like this... tomorrow [Wednesday] is wet the whole day and if it is wet and only four or five degrees there is no point to go out there. You don't learn anything, you will never run in this circumstances and anything you do you risk the car. Being the first test of the season we are leaning on spares and we can't risk it."

I'll be surprised if they're the only ones who don't bother with much/any running today.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

It's not 4-5 degrees. It's a bit colder. And it's not raining either.

So that's not really helpful in terms of, you know, limited testing.

Penfold

On the other hand, we have got a lovely photo out of it.  So, every cloud and all that....

Warmer tomorrow but could well be wet; next week looking much more conducive to F1 testing.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Well, there have been a total of 4 laps this session. Two by Ricciardo, one each for Alonso and Ericsson. So surely a lot of good information has been uncovered.