News:

Welcome to the MF1 Forum

Main Menu

The 2018 Season

Started by Penfold, June 21, 2017, 03:23:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrill

Yup, the stewards definitely agree that neither driver is more at fault. I find it strange though:

* Verstappen was reprimanded for moving twice when you are only allowed once. A reason for the reprimand is that his movement is small.
* Ricciardo was reprimanded for trying to overtake too late. WHAT? Is that even a thing?

In my book, this is like calling a penalty in football but also giving a yellow card for diving to the attacker.

Here's why I blame Verstappen:
* The driver behind is a team mate, so such defensive driving is unacceptable.
* They had already clashed earlier in the race.
* He moved under braking.
* He has a (recent) history of coming together with other drivers, touching both Hamilton and Vettel in the last race.

Ricciardo was definitely too aggressive, but he was also the faster of the two.

In the end, this would have been avoidable had Red Bull simply kept Verstappen calm after China. They failed that. Ricciardo thought Verstappen moved right (which he did, but not much) and there was a gap on the inside after that. When Ricciardo noticed Verstappen moving back to the left, he appeared not to react fast enough. The Aussie had time to move right and take avoiding action, in my book, but it's easy to say from the confines of my living room. :P
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Penfold

I don't see Dan making the corner down the inside given how late he was on the brakes, but Max can't go closing the door after he's already moved the other way - before the braking zone you can defend one way and then move back towards the racing line, not move towards the racing line and then back the other way.
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Matt

Ricciardo also would not have been so impatient had Verstappen not already nearly taken them both out twice with overzealous defending. Rather than making progress with his decision making, Verstappen looks worse this season than he ever has.

Penfold

- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Rather nasty, twice. I'd say it's also a worse incident than the usual "causing an incident" due to the high speed nature. I'd award Magnussen 3 points on his license for that first touch, and potentially another two for dangerous driving later down the straight where Gasly backs off after almost being forced into the pit wall. Unpleasant to watch.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Penfold

Very lucky to get away with only two points added to his burgeoning collection.  Another couple of such incidents and it'll be a one-race ban for KMag... who's his replacement?
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Quote from: Penfold on May 01, 2018, 02:21:11 AM
Very lucky to get away with only two points added to his burgeoning collection.  Another couple of such incidents and it'll be a one-race ban for KMag... who's his replacement?
Toni Gigi.

Penfold

- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Antonio Giovinazzi. Come on, you're better than this.

Penfold

Sounds vaguely familiar.  Where might one have seen him race?
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Quote from: Penfold on May 01, 2018, 02:55:01 AM
Sounds vaguely familiar.  Where might one have seen him race?
It's the guy who bins whatever car he drives. Be it in practice or race, Sauber or Haas.

Penfold

Tad harsh.  Still, at least he seems fast, his tendency to crash can be ironed out (probably).
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Chrill

Penfold

Yeah, that crash of his was pure racing comedy, and the clueless remark about Ericsson was just genius.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)