News:

Welcome to the MF1 Forum

Main Menu

The 2018 Season

Started by Penfold, June 21, 2017, 03:23:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrill

I enjoy how I no longer need to communicate with words. I can just post images.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Penfold

Those look like words to me....
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

They look like words, they smell like words, they taste like words. What are they? A figment of your imagination.

In order to rerail (nice) this topic, here's some information about tyre selections for Spain. Williams went softy softy.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/williams-most-aggressive-by-far-in-spain-tyre-picks-1032504/
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Matt

I actually like Grosjean and think he will be unfairly remembered as a bad driver, but it might be time for Haas to move on after this season. We'll see how the rest of the season goes, but he doesn't seem to be delivering as much as he should. I don't think Magnussen has much of a future either, honestly, but he has been driving much better this season than last season.

Chrill

Agreed. Grosjean and Magnussen are, on paper, a really strong team. I definitely see them picking up a Ferrari junior for 2019. Unless of course Ferrari slaps two kids at Sauber and keeps Raikkonen on board for another year.

Except for Giovinazzi, who else could earn a Sauber/Haas seat? Antonio Fuoco is mediocre at best.

Penfold

Quote from: Chrill on May 01, 2018, 07:32:40 AM
In order to rerail (nice) this topic, here's some information about tyre selections for Spain. Williams went softy softy.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/williams-most-aggressive-by-far-in-spain-tyre-picks-1032504/
...and they'll likely go slowly, slowly.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

They do. Some, such as Alonso, they would benefit from. Others, such as the Kimi/Ocon thing, I don't see why they care about. The only possible outcome is that Ocon, who retired, will get a grid penalty for Spain. Do they really expect to jump him? Or do they expect Kimi to get the blame?

Penfold

And then there's the Magnussen/Gasly incident.  Is their complaint that the stewards were too lenient with KMag?  Gunning for grid penalties for competitors in the vain hope of scraping a point in Barcelona, how the mighty have fallen.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

... and the stewards told Williams to sod off, for the following reasons:

1. In relation to the incident described in Document 34 (Sirokin/Perez) it is noted that this was a case where one car crashed into the rear of another, and was not similar to other first lap incidents where cars were side-by-side. The penalty was similar to other penalties for similar collisions and was consistent with the minimum grid penalties given previously.

2. The fact that the written decision in Document 34 did not reach the team until 1728hrs was not deemed relevant because this was well before the time for any protest or appeal had expired. This is mentioned in the context of the team?s argument that some other incidents were not penalised or were not penalised sufficiently

3. In relation to the incident described in Document 43 (Magnussen/Gasly) the team, in its written request for review, argued that the penalty on Magnussen was "inconsequential". The team is reminded that since the meeting of 2013 between the FIA and representatives of the teams and drivers, the consequences of penalties are not taken into account.

4. Further to the above, and in relation to other penalties, since the beginning of 2016 there have been a total of 87 incidents involving alleged "causing a collision" in the Formula One Championship. Of these, as a result of the "let them race" policy, 55 have resulted in No Further Action. 14 have resulted in 10 second penalties and 9 have resulted in 3 grid position penalties for the next race. A very small number involved other penalties. Therefore the penalties imposed on Magnussen, Ericsson and Sirotkin were entirely consistent with previous practice and with the penalty guidelines. The cases of No Further Action were also consistent with previous practice.

5. The Race Director specifically referred to the actions of the driver of Car 14 (Alonso) in returning to the pits after his incident in lap one and noted that firstly, the Safety Car was present, and secondly that the driver took care to avoid the racing line, avoid following traffic and minimised risk.

6. Williams Martini Racing was aware of the actions of the driver of Car 14 (Alonso) as it occurred. Their team at the "mission control" in the UK saw it on the live television feed and the team on the pit wall would have seen the driver of Car 14 enter the pits, as it had to drive past them. Therefore it cannot be argued that this is a "new element".

7. In relation to the incidents referred to above, all "no further action" incidents were well promulgated prior to publication of the results. Therefore the team had ample opportunity and time, being aware of all the other penalties above, to lodge an appeal where no penalty was imposed (noting that no appeal is permitted where time penalties or grid penalties are imposed).

8. In relation to the incident involving cars 14, 27 and 35 (Alonso, Hulkenberg and Sirotkin) on lap one, as the stewards took no decision on this matter, the team could have protested the matter within the permitted time limit, but chose not to exercise this right.

9. Differing penalties imposed or incidents where no further action was taken, cannot be regarded as a new element.

10. In relation to the media reporting tabled by Williams Martin Racing in its request for a review, these reports are not considered significant and relevant.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Should get a good fight between Merc & Ferrari in Barcelona, not much between them in quali and the red guys looked strong on the soft tyres.  Red Bull might even come into play as they were quite nifty on the long runs in practice.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Shitty race, the new Pirellis that Mercedes asked for clearly worked well for the ones requesting them. I'm not happy with that.

Overall, Magnussen kept a clean race and Grosjean was a knobhead. Verstappen crashed once more but survived. Vettel was nowhere despite running new threads. All in all, not a great race.

Penfold

I think Red Bull also wanted those tailor-made Pirellis.  Great.  I know Silverstone and Paul Ricard will get the same type of tyre but not sure where else.  On a totally unrelated matter, I'm thinking of using Bottas and Mad Max in the British and French GP.

Nobody anywhere near Merc pace so that was pretty crap.  Not sure why Ferrari pitted Vettel before Bottas, if Merc hadn't screwed Valerie's stop he would've jumped Seb right then.  Not that it mattered in the end.

Poor old Grosjean, taken out by Ericsson once again....
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Quote from: Penfold on May 14, 2018, 01:33:35 AM
Poor old Grosjean, taken out by Ericsson once again....

Penfold

:) I'm enjoying these Row Man/Ma Cuss cartoons.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)