Welcome to the MF1 Forum

Main Menu

The 2018 Season

Started by Penfold, June 21, 2017, 03:23:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrill

Quote from: Penfold on July 02, 2018, 01:26:45 AM
No Italy or Netherlands at the contest and now we've lost Germany
Yeah, that was us. All of them. Every single one. We beat Netherlands to the playoffs, there we beat Italy. We then won the group in which Germany finished dead last.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Penfold

Not being a particularly avid follower of Swedish football (incredible, I know) your team's antics against the Dutch had passed me by, and I'd clean forgotten about you taking out the Italians.  I'd say you really deserve some sort of reward... though I suppose England (possibly) in a World Cup quarter final wouldn't be a bad prize, we are eminently beatable.
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Well, the Swiss are ranked 6th even though they have two shaky games so far this world cup. Beating Serbia was expected, tying Costa Rica was a shame, and getting a point out of Brazil impressive. Our luck may rest in the fact we played our best in our final round, they played their worst in their final round.

I want to say I believe in Sweden but the fact is we're ranked 24th or something, the Swiss are 6th. Maybe a more fair standing would be the Swiss something like 10-12 and Sweden 18-20, but still.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Penfold

I always take those rankings with a massive pinch of salt, and I pay even less attention to them for World Cup matches.  Some of the most notable failings thus far: Top seed Germany beaten by Mexico (ranked 12th) & then humbled by lowly S. Korea (57th); Japan (61st) almost doing Belgium (3rd); Poland (8th) losing to Senegal (27th); Spain (10th) drawing with Morocco (41st), scraping a 1-0 win against Iran (37th), and being put out by Russia (70th).

As for the Swiss, well this is how they've fared against England over the years: https://www.11v11.com/teams/england/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Switzerland/

That's a side that has 'beatable' written all over them, and as you said, your guys have been getting stronger.  Certainly the dismantling (your word!) of Mexico won't have done team confidence any harm....
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Nobody cares if the English can beat Switzerland. You won't have to, we did it for you. Sweden v England however... Well, we have a nicely fought recent past. You beat us in the 2012 Euros, we tied in the 2002 and 2006 World Cups. We beat you in that 4-2 friendly in Stockholm which is our most recent game.

According to statistics, Sweden v England is a close run affair. According to the way Sweden are playing, rarely conceding... Well, I think it will finish 1-0. I just don't know which side will score the one. I gave Sweden a 40% chance to do Mexico, a 50% on Switzerland, now I'd say a 25% chance against you lot. It's achievable.

Chrill

Eric Boullier is no longer with McLaren.

https://www.mclaren.com/formula1/inside-the-mtc/mclaren-racing-announces-changes-leadership-structure/

"Simon Roberts, COO of McLaren Racing, will oversee production, engineering and logistics. Andrea Stella is appointed Performance Director, responsible for trackside operations. Gil de Ferran takes up the new role of Sporting Director, to maximise the effectiveness of the team?s racing package."

Penfold

No more Bouillon Powder at McLaren, a tragic loss for the team.  Suggestions that Alonso had a hand in the promotions of Andrea Stella & Gil de Ferran.

I didn't think we'd need to beat the Swiss as I reckoned your boys would take them out, in fact I was more confident of that than of us beating Colombia.  Ours should be a tight game on Saturday; I'll go more optimistic than you on the scoring and say it finishes 2-1, but like you I'll bottle it and refuse to guess who's victorious.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

What is the general opinion over there about the SWE-ENG game? In media and among the regular folk.

We seem to think we are in with an absolutely genuine chance, that it's going to be tight and difficult but definitely possible.

Penfold

Tight and difficult game, that pretty much sums it up.  Having said that, although the Swedish team is well regarded and recognized as having experience on its side, people are also thinking that this is a golden opportunity to reach the semis, really our best chance since Italia '90.  Of course, too many soul-crushing defeats over the years for anyone to simply assume that we'll win.

Who do you favour in the other quarters?  Brazil, France, and Croatia?
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Quote from: Penfold on July 06, 2018, 01:21:26 AM
Tight and difficult game, that pretty much sums it up.  Having said that, although the Swedish team is well regarded and recognized as having experience on its side, people are also thinking that this is a golden opportunity to reach the semis, really our best chance since Italia '90.  Of course, too many soul-crushing defeats over the years for anyone to simply assume that we'll win.

Who do you favour in the other quarters?  Brazil, France, and Croatia?
Belgium, France, and Croatia. Admittedly the Belgium-Brazil game is the closest one to call.

Let us not discount Russia. State funded doping may well take them to the semi finals.

In regards to Sweden having experience on its side... No we do not. None of these lads have ever progressed deep in an international competition. 0 of them have ever entered a World Cup before. Some of them did win the U21 Euros in 2015, so there's that. On penalties nonetheless. Oh yes, we too can win on penalties.

Penfold

Great call on Belgium.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Thank you. On another note, both Saubers finished in the top 10 for FP3, and Leclerc won "best of the rest" honours while challenging Red Bull. I don't know what is up with that.

Ericsson was trailing Leclerc by 7 tenths, but that was mainly down to straight line speed. Is Ericsson simply not capable of driving his car in a lower downforce configuration, or is Leclerc using a more efficient engine. It seems weird.

Penfold

Perhaps no one has told him that the pedals go all the way down....

I'm so impressed by Sauber's turn of speed that your mate Marcus is going to be my pick.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

We can think Ericsson for missing his DRS button into turn 1, and thus causing a safety car and therefore causing a Grosjean-Sainz crash and another safety car, for this thrilling race finish. Good race, some impressive driving from Vettel and some sad moaning for Hamilton who lucked into a safety car.

Penfold

Had Ericsson as my pick but more than happy to lose weekly points in exchange for such a fantastic finale.  Enjoyed it as much as a certain football match played in Russia on Saturday afternoon....
- Chrill (28/09/2018)