News:

Welcome to the MF1 Forum

Main Menu

The 2021 Season

Started by Penfold, January 31, 2020, 12:54:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

Canada hasn't been very good with the current car and regulations though.

Penfold

'tis a fair point, though I have a nostalgia-driven love of the race.

Second DRS zone for Portugal, and the original one has been trimmed by 120 metres.  Admittedly not very new news, but just in case anoyone missed it.  Linky thing: https://www.racefans.net/2021/04/28/portimao-adds-second-drs-zone-on-back-straight/

Such a long main straight, couldn't they've just tried it without DRS....
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

https://www.racefans.net/2021/05/03/i-hope-we-dont-come-back-to-algarve-circuit-verstappen/

Hamilton, when facing a challenge from a rival team, steps up and delivers. He made a rare mistake in Imola but recovered, he fought brilliantly in both Bahrain and Portugal to sit atop the standings. Verstappen, however, seems to have some maturing to do. If the cars are this close, I think Hamilton has the upper hand in terms of mentality and that could be what decides the whole championship in his favour. I was adamant Verstappen would absolutely dominate this season, and the car kind of seems up for it at least on some circuits, but he lacks that final piece for now.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

eurobrun

I think Hamilton made a rare mistake in getting caught out by Bottas at the SC restart, resulting in Max getting the jump on him.
However Max returned the favour with a mistake allowing Hamilton to get the DRS run on him.
I think the season will come down to who makes the fewest mistakes, and you've probably got to put your money on Hamilton and Mercedes (reliability) to keep themselves clean.  A race retirement could really flip it one way or the other!

Chrill

So far, both Red Bull and Mercedes have completed every lap except for crashes. No mechanical issues (well, the sensor for Bottas).

Hamilton last retired three years ago, I think. that's absurdly reliable. Before that, it was 2016 with the engine boom in Malaysia and the Rosberg cuddle in Spain.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Matt

I see the "Horner says Perez has to be closer to the front" stories have already begun. Thankfully they'll fire him at the end of the year so they can insert a different name into the same story next season.

The fact is, the only reason Verstappen even had a chance to win this week was because he beat Hamilton into turn one on the start. The reason Hamilton couldn't easily pass him (Barcelona) is the same reason Perez couldn't easily pass Ricciardo (Barcelona). If Hamilton had held the lead at the start, it wouldn't have even been close. So people can focus on the strategy and everything, but the reality is that the Mercedes was just way faster but they happened to be on a track where you wouldn't be able to pass even if your entire rear wing fell off down the front straight.

Chrill

Perez has gotten it right once on the Saturday though, his P2 in quali in Imola. Just messed the race up then.

I do expect Perez to find his footing sooner rather than later, maybe by Baku. Monaco, perhaps not, it's just a very difficult track to find that final percentage.

Still don't see who Red Bull could bring in. Bottas? Russell? Gasly won't get the nod again, and Tsunoda... well, he'll be another Albon. Half the grid are ex-Red Bulls with Vettel, Ricciardo, Sainz, and Gasly driving for teams after racing for Red Bull.

Matt

He was also fourth in qualifying in Portugal, only 0.15 down on Max.

Chrill

Ah yes, he was that. Horner applying unnecessary pressure on the Mexican then, especially since Perez was apparently nursing a rather painful shoulder injury this Saturday:
https://www.racefans.net/2021/05/08/perez-has-toughest-qualifying-for-red-bull-after-shoulder-pain-and-spin/

Horner's reaction post-race:
https://www.racefans.net/2021/05/10/red-bull-desperately-need-perez-to-put-pressure-on-mercedes-horner/

Matt

There seems to have been a bit of walking it back today, with Red Bull saying they're happy with his performance so far. I think both can be true anyway.

I think Perez has shown that he can be closer to Max than anyone since Ricciardo has been, while also backing up that the Red Bull car has unique driving characteristics that aren't immediately obvious. But with a brand new coming next year (as we've discussed elsewhere), I hope he does well enough to get a chance in that. Unless a driver massively underperforms or is terrible at car feedback, I don't think teams will be in a rush to make changes this offseason.

Chrill

The 2021 Turkish GP did not last long. It has been cancelled, and the Styrian GP will return:
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/austria-to-host-f1-double-header-after-turkish-gp-cancellation/6508479/

Penfold

I wish they hadn't bothered replacing it. More than enough races on the calendar and I don't see what a second run round Austria adds to the show.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

McLaren running a special Gulf livery for Monaco:

- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Blue is kind of washed out in that image, this should be a more accurate representation:

- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

I mean it's a really neat livery, but Ferrari at Mugello and Mercedes at Hockenheim... Retro liveries in F1 are bad for business, we can't pull it off like NASCAR.