News:

Welcome to the MF1 Forum

Main Menu

Formula 1 Circuits

Started by Penfold, March 03, 2017, 03:55:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penfold

We (F1) keep(s) Barcelona for 2020: https://www.racefans.net/2019/08/27/f1-confirms-one-year-deal-to-continue-spanish-gp/

Circuit owners hoping this leads to a longer contract. 
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

We seem to be heading for a 22-race calendar, with what Mexico and Spain confirmed as well as Vietnam and Netherlands joining the grid. Only Germany leaving, but two new races joining.

We kind of need to lose at least one race, do we not? 22 is unprecedented and sounds like a bit of a stretch.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Penfold

It does, but I've no idea who we (F1) might cast adrift.  Except for Germany, all the top candidates for getting the boot have now been confirmed for next year - I don't know of any other venues that are out of contract. 
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Two more races at Sochi and then F1 needs to find a new home in Russia: https://www.racefans.net/2019/09/26/russian-grand-prix-expected-to-leave-sochi-after-2020/

What a tragic loss to the world of motor racing.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Great, that frees up for a race in downtown Moscow!

Moscau Moscau, Russland ist ein schönes land!

EDIT: No, it seems they may be building an actual circuit in St. Petersburg (not Florida). That's close to Finland and fairly close to me. I would not mind that.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Penfold

Whatever they build, it surely can't be worse than the Sochi layout... right?
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

It truly cannot be worse. It really can't.

Looking at Tilke's creations, I don't think he has ever developed something which Sochi could trump.

Penfold

- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

The circuit diagram shown in that link looks OK to me, surely better than most earlier Miami suggestions. Judging from the run-off around the corners, it will run counter-clockwise. Tricky first two corners, then, very sharp. Bound to knock a front wing off.

Penfold

I do agree that the layout looks better than those Miami harbour efforts.  I mean you're not going to get a startling mix of corners on a street course, but at least there aren't twenty-odd tight turns for the cars to navigate - what sort of idiot would design a track like that!
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Quote from: Penfold on October 17, 2019, 01:47:29 AM
I do agree that the layout looks better than those Miami harbour efforts.  I mean you're not going to get a startling mix of corners on a street course, but at least there aren't twenty-odd tight turns for the cars to navigate - what sort of idiot would design a track like that!
Here's a man named Hermann. He would.

Penfold

- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Miami announces the final design for their very Tilke Formula E track:

https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/racefansdotnet-miami.jpg

Oh, it's for F1? Huh. But it looks so dull.

I guess there are at least two overtaking spots on there, so that's nice. Assuming I read the direction correctly. Do we race counter-clockwise here?

Chrill

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/zandvoort-holding-back-data-from-teams/4664577/

A track I'm looking forward to a little bit more. Zandvoort deliberately not giving teams enough data, to prevent them setting cars up perfectly for the "new" race.

With the rebuilds, even though Zandvoort will likely be a track where it's as easy to overtake as at Hungaroring, it will be a spectacular event in terms of attendance. Personally I'm curious about that banking. And hey, if Hungaroring can produce great races so can Zandvoort.

Penfold

In this era of DRS cruise-bys, I have grown to appreciate those awkward tracks such as Hungaroring which continue to present a serious challenge for any would-be overtaker.  Happy to add Zandvoort to the club of DRS-nullifiers.

As for Miami... yes, counter-clockwise the cars will run.  With the exception of a couple of the tight corners and the chicane that leads on to the back straight, the layout is not too bad.  I mean, there's nothing startling about it, but it is a big improvement on the original Bay Area proposal; the negative is that we've shifted away from the water and anything that really screams "Hey, we're racing in Miami!". 
- Chrill (28/09/2018)