News:

Welcome to the MF1 Forum

Main Menu

2021 Driver Speculation

Started by Chrill, March 17, 2020, 09:55:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penfold

Hang on, why the hell would RP/Aston Martin let Perez leave?  Please don't tell me it's to make room for Vettel.
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Oh it's for Vettel alright. If Stroll lets Perez go instead of Stroll letting Stroll go, then Stroll just proved that Stroll's career (and in extension, Stroll buying a team for Stroll) is just a hobby for Stroll. If Stroll is serious about investing in Aston Martin and in F1, then Stroll would let Stroll go from Stroll's project to ensure Stroll can make money from this.

What I'm saying is, dropping Perez instead of Lance proves that Lawrence is not serious about F1, and just throwing money on his kid.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Penfold

What's up with those first five words?  Straight after I specifically asked you not to tell me it's to make room for Vettel. ;)

Love the Stroll usage.  It's just the sort of post I'd write, ponder on that....
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Mercedes confirm Bottas for another one-year contract in 2021, but no word on Lewis. Lewis is poised to sign a 3-year contract extension with Mercedes, however.

Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team:
77. Valtteri Bottas (link)
5. Sebastian Vettel (link)
44. Lewis Hamilton (link)

Red Bull Racing:
33. Max Verstappen (link)
10. Pierre Gasly (link)
23. Alexander Albon (link)
26. Daniil Kvyat (link)

McLaren F1 Team:
3. Daniel Ricciardo (link)
4. Lando Norris (link)

Scuderia Ferrari Mission Winnow:
16. Charles Leclerc (link)
55. Carlos Sainz (link)

Aston Martin F1 Team:
11. Sergio Perez (link)
18. Lance Stroll (link)

Renault DP World F1 Team:
14. Fernando Alonso (link)
31. Esteban Ocon (link)

Scuderia AlphaTauri Honda:
10. Pierre Gasly (link)
23. Alexander Albon (link)
26. Daniil Kvyat (link)
?. Jüri Vips (link)
?. Yuki Tsunoda (link)

Alfa Romeo Racing ORLEN:
7. Kimi Räikkönen (link)
11. Sergio Perez (link)
99. Antonio Giovinazzi (link)
?. Mick Schumacher (link)

Haas F1 Team:
8. Romain Grosjean (link)
11. Sergio Perez (link)
20. Kevin Magnussen (link)
?. Louis Deletraz (link)
?. Pietro Fittipaldi (link)

Williams Racing:
6. Nicolas Latifi (link)
63. George Russell (link)
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Chrill

Tsunoda will be in an AlphaTauri "sooner or later":
https://www.motorsport.com/fia-f2/news/tsunoda-alphatauri-tost-honda/4859649/

Aaand, Kvyat is not performing as expected:
https://www.grandprix.com/news/kvyat-not-performing-as-we-expect-says-marko.html

These two pieces of news emerging at the same time? Hmm.

Penfold

Funny, because to my mind Kvyat is performing exactly as expected....
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

In a highly informative and transparent interview, Mr. Steiner clarifies who will drive for Haas in 2021. Their options are:

- Retaining both drivers
- Retaining Magnussen, but not Grosjean
- Replacing Magnussen, but not Grosjean
- Replacing both drivers

If they do replace one or two of their drivers, the most likely replacement is either:

- A driver with F1 experience
- A rookie driver

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/haas-magnussen-grosjean-2021-steiner/4863975/

Penfold

Summation much appreciated, saves me from reading the musings of Signore Steiner.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

However, this article says bye bye RoGro, hello Hulkenbulken.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/nico-hulkenberg-haas-2021/

Which would make sense.

Penfold

Having one solid driver would be a start - though not sure why they'd want to keep either.  Does KMag have some dodgy photos of Steiner or Haas?  ;)
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Well, who's available? Possible one of Stroll, Perez, Vettel. One of them, with Hulkenberg... I mean yes, it's a massive improvement. Massive.

Penfold

Hulk all by himself is probably an improvement over them running KMag & Grosjean.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Sainz doesn't regret choosing Ferrari: https://www.racefans.net/2020/09/04/sainz-rejects-brawns-suggestion-he-may-be-regretting-ferrari-move/

Just to highlight one of Sainz's comments: "Let's just remember that last year they were capable of doing seven pole positions. So it's a team that I think knows how to produce very good cars."

Yes, but that was with an illegal car!  A Ferrari that plays by the rules or can't outspend everyone else is doomed to failure.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Well, how many podiums have McLaren scored this year? One!
How many podiums have Ferrari scored this year? Two!

Yes, McLaren is on an upward trajectory, Ferrari downward, but I think if Ferrari goes through a proper restructuring now they will be able to do something in 2022. Don't forget how important Sergio Marchionne was to that team, and how his sudden passing messed everything up. The whole Arrivabene-Binotto situation would have unfolded much more smoothly had Marchionne been around today.

Ferrari is fundamentally flawed in it's setup, and they need to hit the reset button and start attracting talent from the outside again. Not necessarily in the aero department, but on the engine side for sure.

Penfold

... and which of those teams would you expect to cope better with life under a budget cap?

Edit: Plus McLaren get their Mercedes engine upgrade next year, albeit mated to a car designed around the Renault unit.

Edit 2: Then again, maybe the budget cap will force Ferrari to streamline operations and produce a leaner, more effective outfit.  We shall know in a few years.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)