News:

Welcome to the MF1 Forum

Main Menu

IndyCar

Started by Penfold, July 25, 2017, 01:55:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penfold

Our go to guy, gone.  So now if there's something weird, and it don't look good, who you gonna call? 
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

...Bernie? I'd rather not call Bernie.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Matt

Ericsson's take on DRS v. push-to-pass: https://twitter.com/ericsson_marcus/status/1110902107761188864?s=21

This is one of the few times I can remember Ericsson saying anything interesting on Twitter. He also roasted a troll. Fits in well with his team telling him on Sunday that O'Ward, who was behind him, was "an aggressive driver," and Ericsson responding "so am I."

Chrill

Ericsson is coming alive. I think he was restricted in F1, and he enjoys being able to act out a bit more.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Matt

No Alonso this year. But Ericsson was the highest qualifier from his team.

Chrill

Indeed he was. Ericsson impressing on his first ever drive at an oval ever. Felix has some experience from Indy Lights, Marcus has absolutely zero. P13 is great, we'll see how quickly he learns how to actually race at the oval too.

Shame to lose Alonso, but it is what it is. McLaren simply came underprepared and it showed.

Penfold

McLaren underperforming... well I never.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Sarcasm in text is hard to read, but I think I can detect it in your post.

In other IndyCar news, my two Swedes are properly getting up to speed now. In practice yesterday, Felix broke into the top 10 after slowly regaining his confidence following a crash last week. Ericsson still in the low teens, which is where he'll start in the race too.

Penfold

- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Well, after the first race in IndyCar who would have guessed that Ericsson would score a podium before Rosenqvist? The second Detroit race was messy (something like 15 drivers finished on the lead lap?), but Ericsson came through for P2. At one point, before Hinch retired, Ericsson was rapidly catching Dixon and could maybe have made a move for P1. After the two cautions (one caused by a team mate, one by his compatriot and neighbour), he kept P2 safe. Very happy with that, and glad to see that he has found his way back so quickly after a few weekends with unnecessary driver mistakes.

Penfold

Some new McLaren rumblings doing the rounds.  They're chatting to potential partners about a two-car entry for 2020, with SPM the current front-runner (though Honda engine could be an issue); McLaren also said to be eyeing up young Mr. Colton Herta to be part of this 'new' team: https://eu.indystar.com/story/sports/motor/2019/07/29/sources-mclaren-colton-pursuing-herta-partnership-indycar-team/1849736001/
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Herta and Hinch? Herta and Nasr? This is possibly very bad news for Ericsson.

Penfold

It does sound like he'll need to find a new home.

In other IndyCar news: The introduction of more powerful engines slated for 2021 has been pushed back a year so that a hybrid system can be incorporated.  Total output of these new units is expected to top 900bhp, so a sizeable jump from the current generation's 700bhp.  IndyCar will also be introducing a new chassis in '22, and has its fingers crossed that a third engine manufacturer will join the fray.

Click here to re-read this info. in a more verbose format: https://www.racefans.net/2019/08/01/indycar-plans-power-increase-to-900bhp-by-introducing-hybrids-in-2022/
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Matt

Quote from: Chrill on August 01, 2019, 06:57:34 PM
Herta and Hinch? Herta and Nasr? This is possibly very bad news for Ericsson.

The expectation would be that McLaren would partner with SPM with a new car, so the McLaren deal wouldn't have a direct effect on Ericsson. But SPM is also interested in Nasr and Herta independently of McLaren. If it's just SPM, I think Herta stays where he is, assuming that team can find enough funding to continue. Nasr is also testing for Rebellion, and he could run the full IMSA and WEC seasons without conflict, so that might be more attractive than IndyCar alone.

Ericsson has also apparently been talking to other teams because he has funding, even though it's not on his car anywhere. So there's a good chance he sticks around even if it's not with SPM.

As for the Honda connection, Michael Andretti pretty much said the only reason they don't have a partnership with McLaren for next season is because Honda wouldn't do it. They even had negotiations about switching to Chevy, as late as Saturday morning before they signed and announced the Honda extension. So it's not really clear how SPM could clear a roadblock that Andretti couldn't.

Matt

McLaren confirms that it will enter full-time in 2020, essentially taking over SPM and changing to Chevy. Hinch and Ericsson are both out. No announcements on who is in, but the rumors include: O'Ward, Latifi, Nasr, Dixon, Alonso.

What about Hinch? He's sponsored by Honda Canada, so he'll be going to a Honda team, which means most likely Rahal or Coyne. Wasn't Herta rumored to McLaren? Yes, but apparently an announcement is imminent that he will be in a fifth Andretti car. And Ericsson? No idea. He has said he wants to say, but my Swedish sources say he is talking to Formula E teams as well. What about Shank and Jack Harvey, a Honda team partnered with SPM? Probably moving the affiliation to Rahal and going full-time.

Who else is in play this silly season? Ferrucci isn't confirmed at Coyne, but is expected to stay in IndyCar. Both Carlin cars are unconfirmed. Harding-Steinbrenner is going to lose Herta and it's unclear if the team will still exist. Conor Daly is looking for something full-time. Oliver Askew is going to win the Indy Lights title and will have to get at least 4 races. Rinus Vee Kay has also been good in the ladder series and just tested for Carpenter. Speaking of Carpenter, neither Pigot nor Jones are confirmed for next season, and I think Jones in particular is at risk. DragonSpeed announced they're going full-time with Hanley, but running another race this season has been plagued by visa problems. Both Foyt cars are unconfirmed, with Leist apparently out for sure and Helio rumored for a seat.

It was looking like a boring offseason after Rossi re-signed, but nope.