2022 Regulatory Overhaul (a.k.a. Project Death to Dirty Air/DRS-free Overtaking)

Started by Penfold, April 06, 2018, 01:57:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrill

Mercedes may not, though. German rumours reaching Sweden claim Wolff was away from Brazil for attending a Daimler meeting. The new Daimler CEO, one Ola Källenius (who replaced the famous moustache man Dieter Zetsche) is not too keen on F1. Mister Källenius is more into electric, and is reportedly pushing for Mercedes to leave the sport. They will remain an engine manufacturer, but they will not operate a team.

We'll see if Mercedes remain. If not, what will Lewis do?
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Penfold

He probably wouldn't stay with whoever bought and rebranded the Merc F1 team.  That leaves retirement, pairing up with either Max at Red Bull or with Leclerc at Ferrari (I can't see them leaving their respective teams by '21), or taking his chances on an upper-midfield outfit such as McLaren.
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

I might have to add one year to this thread's title; the FIA, Liberty, and teams will today discuss whether to delay implementing the 2021 regulations for a year: https://www.racefans.net/2020/03/19/f1-to-discuss-postponing-new-2021-cars/
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

My understanding is that it has been approved. So, 2022 Regulatory Overhaul (a.k.a. Project Death to Dirty Air/DRS-free Overtaking)
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Penfold

Yep, new regs delayed until '22, a shame but was the only decision that made sense; happy to see the budget cap still kicks in next year: https://www.racefans.net/2020/03/19/unanimous-agreement-to-postpone-new-f1-cars-for-2021-but-not-budget-cap/
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

It just occurred to me that unless the current regs get tweaked ahead of next year, Merc's DAS will be legal and presumably widely adopted, meaning there would suddenly be much logic in teams developing such a system post haste.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

2021 budget cap reduced by $30 million to a mere $145 million (excluding driver & mgmt. salaries, marketing costs, hospitality, ice creams...)  https://www.racefans.net/2020/05/04/formula-1-will-cut-2021-budget-cap-to-145-million-brawn/

I'm expecting Alfa & Alpha to spend the full whack in the future as development costs get shunted around by their parents.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

$145 million is still a significant decrease for the big spenders, and it's just a step 1. I'll be the naïve one, but I think that cap could decrease further in the coming years (Assuming F1 makes it out of the current crisis at all).

Penfold

It's a good level for a cap, and in combination with the promised fairer distribution of prize money, it puts F1 on a far more sensible & sustainable path.  My main issue now is that I've always (well, for quite a few years anyway) wanted a budget cap to be paired with greater technical freedom, but it seems Brawn & Co. are determined go the other way on that front.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

I agree that technical and aerodynamical improvements are essential to F1, but at the same time a F2-style series would interest me. The best mechanics and drivers would excel, rather than the deepest pockets, the best wind tunnels, and the smartest computer systems.

Then again, that's what IndyCar is for. F1 needs the development aspect.

I'd love a tighter cap and greater freedom, indeed, but we'll see. The venturi tunnels coming for 2022, whilst limited in the regulations, offer a brand new avenue of development.

Penfold

Quote from: Chrill on May 05, 2020, 03:25:13 AM
$145 million is still a significant decrease for the big spenders, and it's just a step 1. I'll be the naïve one, but I think that cap could decrease further in the coming years (Assuming F1 makes it out of the current crisis at all).

Your assumption is correct: https://www.racefans.net/2020/05/06/f1-budget-cap-to-fall-again-in-2022-and-2023/   

Relatively modest reductions of $5 million in 2022 and '23, but then we are starting from a significantly lower base than was envisioned just a few short (long) months ago.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

That's very much not in line with F1, the whole "lower placed teams can do more". But I kinda like it. It's gimmicky like DRS, but instead of fake overtakes it evens out the playing field between very skilled and less skilled technicians, aerodynamicists, etc.

All in all, I'm a bit torn. But if smaller teams can afford more development compared to the likes of Ferrari, Mercedes, and Red Bull, it could be good.