News:

Welcome to the MF1 Forum

Main Menu

2018 Season - Rate the Drivers

Started by Chrill, March 21, 2018, 11:40:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M4A1Carbine

Wow, what a race. I suspect there will be quite a few differences with this race. I don't have time to explain all my ratings right now, but hopefully I'll have time later this week to come back and explain.

Mercedes:
Lewis Hamilton - 7/10
Valtteri Bottas - 9/10

Ferrari:
Sebastian Vettel - 7/10
Kimi Raikkonen - 8/10

Red Bull:
Daniel Ricciardo - 5/10
Max Verstappen - 7/10

Force India:
Sergio Perez - 10/10
Esteban Ocon - 3/10

Williams:
Lance Stroll - 9/10
Sergey Sirotkin - X/10

Renault:
Carlos Sainz - 9/10
Nico Hulkenberg - 7/10

Toro Rosso:
Pierre Gasly - 3/10
Brendon Hartley - 6/10

Haas:
Romain Grosjean - 5/10
Kevin Magnussen - 4/10

McLaren:
Fernando Alonso - 9/10
Stoffel Vandoorne - 7/10

Sauber:
Marcus Ericsson - 5/10
Charles Leclerc - 10/10

Chrill

I've added your ratings (including the change on Raikkonen) to the tables, here. Interesting to see your take on Ricciardo-Verstappen since our ratings differ. Let's take that to the "2018 Season" topic! :)
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Penfold

Quote from: Penfold on April 18, 2018, 03:50:43 AM
Poor Max, ranked lower even than Sergey Sirotkin.  Perhaps he could try not spinning or crashing for a few races?

Guess not!

I'll get my scores done later today.
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Penfold

Here they are for your entertainment:

Baku:

Merc:
Hammy - 6 - Mediocre but lucky.
Val - 8 - Strong but unlucky.

Ferrari:
Seb - 8 - Pole and a win without the safety car.  Point off for blowing it after restart.
Kimi - 7 - Ruined his super-softs in Q2, blew his chance of pole in Q3, some responsibility for crash with Ocon on lap 1... other than that a good performance.

Red Bull
The Pie Man - 7 - Had the beating of Max but was never going to make that pass.
Max - 0 - Negative score if possible.  Said he was going to drive with more control after recent errors, this obviously means something different in Dutch.  Too aggressive with team-mate on numerous occasions culminating in that double move and crash.

Force India:
Perez - 10 - Probably could've done without getting a poke up the backside at beginning of race, but he was fast, clean, and made a good move on Vettel - sort of drive to catch the eye of team managers. 
Ocon - 4 - Guess he didn't see Kimi, though no idea how the Finn expected to get round the corner at the same time as the Force India.

Williams
Stroller - 9 - Just needs six or seven races at Baku each season.  Finally some points for Williams (mass retirements a help).
Sirotkin - 4 - Hit Perez, hence the low score. 

Renault:
Sainz - 9 - Quality outing.  Duelling with Red Bulls was great to watch.
Hulk - 3 - Squeezed Sirotkin into Alonso, ending Sergei's race and damaging Alonso's, yet receives no penalty.  Then he hit a wall.

Toro Rosso:
Greasy Peril - 6 - Had been running well at one point, apparently got squeezed into a wall by KMag after the second restart.
J.R. - 7 - Fell asleep in quali. and only saved by Gasly's quick reflexes.  Anonymous in race but still running so able to pick up a point.

Haas:
Big Jean - 5 - Wins the comedy award.  Just hilarious.  Good up until then.
Son of Magnus - 4 - Points off for squeezing Gasly.

McLaren:
Aslan - 10 - Christ.  Down the pit-lane with two wheels on his car - must've been some damage to the floor.  Ahh, but could he possibly still beat his team-mate... of course he could!
Van Door - 6 - One giant step behind Alonso.  Handy this, I never need to think of anything new to say for Toffee Van Door.

Sauber:
Chrill's mate Marcus - 5 - Not a patch on Leclerc this weekend.
'It is I' - 10 - Awesome, but then you watched the race so you already knew that.  Birth of an F1 star?
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Lovely. These are our standings, then:

Pos.  Driver                 Rating  Change in Position
1.    Fernando Alonso        8.615   (+1)
2.    Daniel Ricciardo       8.333   (-1)
3.    Sebastian Vettel       8.231   (0)
4.    Kimi Raikkonen         7.846   (+3)
5.    Nico Hulkenberg        7.692   (0)
6.    Sergio Perez           7.462   (+4)
7.    Marcus Ericsson        7.300   (-3)
8.    Kevin Magnussen        7.077   (-2)
9.    Charles Leclerc        7.077   (+4)
10.   Valtteri Bottas        7.000   (+1)
20.   Max Verstappen         2.833   (0)

Full standings, as always:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dnPSeVbYFM6KP0SW2SPGzJch7KAiLuaUvD4hpSWSHek/edit?usp=sharing

Chrill

I added a new feature. So sexy.

=ARRAYFORMULA(INDEX(N2:N21,MATCH(MAX(COUNTIF(N2:N21,N2:N21)),COUNTIF(N2:N21,N2:N21),0)))

This code makes sense, right? Basically, what it does is give us the name of whoever rates a driver the highest most often. As in, I have the highest rating for 6 drivers which makes me the one with most "highest rating", and therefore the above formula returns my name. So strange.

Matt

Mercedes:
Lewis Hamilton - 6/10
Valtteri Bottas - 8/10

Ferrari:
Sebastian Vettel - 8/10
Kimi Raikkonen - 9/10

Red Bull:
Daniel Ricciardo - 7/10
Max Verstappen - 1/10

Force India:
Sergio Perez - 10/10
Esteban Ocon - 2/10

Williams:
Lance Stroll - 8/10
Sergey Sirotkin - X/10

Renault:
Carlos Sainz Jr - 8/10
Nico Hulkenberg - 4/10

Toro Rosso:
Pierre Gasly - 7/10
Brendon Hartley - 7/10

Haas:
Romain Grosjean - 4/10
Kevin Magnussen - 3/10

McLaren:
Fernando Alonso - 10/10
Stoffel Vandoorne - 7/10

Sauber:
Marcus Ericsson - 6/10
Charles Leclerc - 10/10

Giving Alonso driver of the race. Leclerc avoided the mayhem and drove well, but Alonso vaulted up the field with a damaged car and got it back to the pits in the first place with two flats. Perez took advantage of the mayhem and got points when Force India needed them.

Chrill

Thank you!

That shuffles the pack a bit:

Fernando Alonso
Sebastian Vettel
Daniel Ricciardo
Kimi R?ikk?nen
Sergio Perez
Nico H?lkenberg
Charles Leclerc
Marcus Ericsson
Valtteri Bottas
Carlos Sainz, Jr.

The biggest improvement is Leclerc in P7 (from P13), and the biggest drop is Esteban Ocon (P15 from P9).

In an interesting turn of events, even though Matt rates the average lowest (his average 6.450), he is also the one with most "Highest Rating". 10 of the drivers, you rate higher than anyone else (3 of those shared, 7 of those unique for you). However, 8 of the drivers on the grid get their lowest rating from you. The only ones where you aren't on the top or the bottom are Kimi Raikkonen and Lewis Hamilton.

Penfold

Just to be irritating (more so than normal) I've bumped Alonso up to a perfect ten.  Bit more data entry for you to enjoy!
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Worry not. The document is clever enough to edit the whole thing when I enter the digits. Alonso was already the highest rated driver, so he's moving from P1 to P1.

Matt

I?ve only done two races, so it makes sense that my highest and lowest ratings stand out more. Less races to bring them closer to the average.

Chrill

This is true. I have, however, taken that into account on the actual averages. The "compiled average" which is seen on the first page differs from the "actual average", since the compiled average is the driver's average for every race. This skews the result. The actual average, used on the comparison page, is simply everyone's votes piled together into one.

Chrill

Right, let's go to the Spainish GP (did you see that typo? It was fun)

Mercedes:
Lewis Hamilton - 9/10 (Utter domination. Could easily have won a minute earlier had he just felt like it. Definitely had a lot more in the car. Back to regular Mercedes domination, and suddenly this season looks a lot more dull. Not getting the 10 because he did not push a single time all race)
Valtteri Bottas - 8/10 (Couldn't quite match daddy Ham, but came close despite running an extremely long stint on the mediums. Solid performance, and well deserved P2.

Ferrari:
Sebastian Vettel - 6/10 (That just wasn't great. Good start to jump Bottas, but poor call to pit when Bottas clearly made his tyres last. P4, and falling further behind Hamilton in the championship. The Ferrari car wasn't fast enough in Barcelona)
Kimi Raikkonen - 6/10 (Was running more or less with Bottas, and then something happened to the car. Don't know what. Oh well. Mediocre too)

Red Bull:
Daniel Ricciardo - 6/10 (Lagged behind Verstappen after claiming he was faster, then made a Grosjeanesque spin during the VSC which shunted him firmly 20 seconds behind the crazy kid. 6/10 is as good as I'll call that this weekend)
Max Verstappen - 7/10 (Really on course for 8/10 in my book. Strong return to form, kept Vettel at bay with a damaged car and all. Then again, the damage was caused by him being himself so that's a minus one)

Force India:
Sergio Perez - 8/10 (Keeps delivering some impressive performances in what appears to be a less than great Force India car. Pitted during the VSC like Vettel but made it work, passing Ericsson, Stroll, and Leclerc to finish P9)
Esteban Ocon - 6/10 (Retired after an uneventful race that could possibly have put him P10 at the end of it. Not as strong as his Mexican frenemy)

Williams:
Lance Stroll - 7/10 (Definitely the stronger Williams driver this weekend, but still not all that strong. With 14 driver finishing, not scoring points simply isn't strong enough)
Sergey Sirotkin - 3/10 (What a messy messy race. Did he spin? Yup. Like Grosjean? Yup. More than once? Yup. Oh boy. Way last)

Renault:
Carlos Sainz Jr - 8/10 (Fought some decent battles with my fellow rutabaga Ericsson and ended up second best of the rest! Not bad, not bad at all)
Nico Hulkenberg - X/10 (Obviously cannot be blamed for being crashed out by the Frenchie)

Toro Rosso:
Pierre Gasly - X/10 (Obviously cannot be blamed for being crashed out by the Frenchie)
Brendon Hartley - 7/10 (Hey. Did that P10 finish in Baku give Hartley some more speed? He wasn't that bad. I mean yes, he finished P12 out of 14 finishers which isn't great but what he lacked in finishing position he made up for with some rather decent racing. Neat stuff)

Haas:
Romain Grosjean - 2/10 (Oh boy. Sure, taking avoiding action in order to not hit your team mate is fair. Then flooring it while spinning into a field of cars is not. Moved down 3 places for the Monaco grid will hurt, but it's a fair penalty for a silly crash)
Kevin Magnussen - 9/10 (I think he finished this high for a single reason - he did not battle the other drivers. Stayed cool when Vettel and Bottas came through, and in the end finished something like half a minute ahead of the guy behind. Haas seems to be in a no mans land between the front 3 and the rest, but they rarely end up there. This is how it should be)

McLaren:
Fernando Alonso - 7/10 (Was unlucky in the start and lost some places, and then lacked some of that utmost killer instinct. Was stuck behind Leclerc for too long, which probably is the reason he finished behind Sainz. Still, keeps scoring solid points)
Stoffel Vandoorne - 4/10 (Stoffel is not as fast as Fernando. It seems apparent so far this season. He is the only driver to have qualified behind his team mate in all 5 races so far. That says it all. Another less than impressive performance)

Sauber:
Marcus Ericsson - 7/10 (I'd quite like to rate him 8 for his surprisingly great defensive skills. He danced beautifully with Sainz and they did not touch. Kept the Spaniard behind for a very long time on worn mediums. Fell down the order a bit when he failed to switch his softs on and that's why I'll keep him down to 7)
Charles Leclerc - 8/10 (Getting used to seeing a Sauber score. Third race out of five this year. Twice for the Monegasque. Solid. One point for Sauber on a track where they couldn't on paper expect to fight)

Driver of the race? I'd call it for Lewis Hamilton, but K-Mag gets an honorable mention.

Penfold

Still deliberating just how few points to give Roe Man.  It'll be somewhere between zero and two but not quite made up my mind.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)