Main Menu

F1 News Snippets

Started by Penfold, March 03, 2017, 05:48:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penfold

"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Will it dry clothes any faster than the old one? No, but perhaps more accurate drying will be achieved.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Penfold

Also, having their own dryer to use and abuse (and to rent to others) should help trim (cover?) the annual laundry bill; every penny counts when running a large household to a fixed budget.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

It is true, but even if they charge a dollar or two per run, it is an expensive thing to build when the use of it will be further limited in the future.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Penfold

For such a large and efficient dryer I believe they will be able to charge as much as $3 per cycle.  The money is going to roll in....
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

https://www.grandprix247.com/2019/07/08/williams-to-ditch-mercedes-for-renault-return/

Williams looking set to move to a 2020 Renault engine. "Williams-Renault", have we heard that before? Well, yes. Yes we have. You, like me, must be thinking "Ah yes, the 2012 Spanish Grand Prix where Maldonado won the race". He is the most famous driver to win with Williams-Renault.

Penfold

My first thought for Williams-Renault, quite predictably I'd say, was of Thierry Boots Off (Boutsen) claiming victory in a rain-sodden Adelaide back in 1989.  My second thought was of course the legendary Maldonado win in Barcelona.  None of that may be true.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Quote from: Chrill on July 08, 2019, 03:51:37 AM
https://www.grandprix247.com/2019/07/08/williams-to-ditch-mercedes-for-renault-return/

Williams looking set to move to a 2020 Renault engine. "Williams-Renault", have we heard that before? Well, yes. Yes we have. You, like me, must be thinking "Ah yes, the 2012 Spanish Grand Prix where Maldonado won the race". He is the most famous driver to win with Williams-Renault.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/williams-closing-mercedes-engine-deal/4492518/
Williams looking set to remain with Mercedes, and have not negotiated with Renault regarding a switch to the French manufacturer.
;D

Penfold

Toro Rosso to be called Alpha Tauri from next year.  You wait three decades for the Alfa name to return and then two of them show up in quick succession.  Sort of.

Now this is a surprise... McLaren will ditch Renault engines at the end of 2020 and once again be powered by Mercedes.  Will anyone else be using Renault units come '21, or has the French outfit simply had enough of being beaten by its customer teams?
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

I'm thinking this could spell the end of a Mercedes works team. Come 2021 there are new regulations. Mercedes have dominated these regulations but risk dropping back with new ones. Also, the car manufacturer itself is doing poorly and the F1 investment may no longer be worth it. They could return to being just a manufacturer of engines come 2021.

If so, it remains to be seen whether Lewis goes red or simply retires.

Penfold

Yep, the Mercedes Board might already feel they've gotten everything they wanted out of running an F1 team - the 2021 regulations and forthcoming budget cap could just be what pushes them over the edge.  I remember a couple of years back Eddie Jordan questioned Merc's long-term commitment to F1, now it turned out he was wrong about them pulling out at the end of 2018, but perhaps it was only his timing that was off.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Right. Well, that's a 2021 Driver Speculation thread definitely coming. Lewis to Ferrari, Bottas to Alfa Romeo to replace Kimi. Vettel retires. Red Bull continues to rotate their 2nd driver alongside Max Verstappen. I guess at the start of 2021, it's back to Albon after letting Gasly have a go for a large part of 2020. Kvyat is no longer with Toro Rosso, but has found security at Haas where he replaced Magnussen. Grosjean somehow keeps remaining with Haas.

Penfold

Part of EJ's Merc speculation was that the team would be flogged off to a Chinese outfit who wanted a quick way into the top echelons of the sport.  Whether or not that holds true, surely somebody would buy Merc's operations if it came on the market, and that somebody will need a couple of drivers - as might those Panthera guys.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Panthera could take the slot, but they seem to be getting started on their own. No, if Panthera becomes team 11 then someone else will have to take the place of Mercedes. What about a team from F2, such as Prema (Ferrari) or DAMS (Renault)? Renault desperately need someone to use their engines, so it would make sense from their point of view.

Penfold

Hamilton obviously not expecting Merc to depart F1 anytime soon; sounding very much like he plans to be with the team in 2021 and beyond: https://www.racefans.net/2019/11/01/hamilton-says-hes-not-hit-his-peak-and-wants-huge-challenge-of-2021-rules/
- Chrill (28/09/2018)