2022 Regulatory Overhaul (a.k.a. Project Death to Dirty Air/DRS-free Overtaking)

Started by Penfold, April 06, 2018, 01:57:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penfold

"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

I agree. I was afraid we would go back to those bonkers front wings of yesteryear (that is, around 2010ish), but these look cleaner. I'd still much prefer a smaller front wing (in length) with a limit of perhaps only 1 or 2 upper elements instead of the ridiculously intricate designs we have today.

These wings are sufficiently advanced in my eyes.

"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Penfold

Agreed, something along those lines would suit me as well.

Found this technical analysis of the whole 'dirty air' issue by Craig Scarborough.  It's on the long side but well worth a read to understand what the hell is going on and where F1 went disastrously wrong with the 2017 rule changes: https://drivetribe.com/p/f1-why-no-overtaking-and-are-bigger-auZby7jDQhuGAz6N9TEP-g?iid=Vde1lxdPRYCGtSUbhXyipw
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

And for those of us with little to no patience (remember, I am succinct), what is Mr. Scarborough saying?
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Penfold

That the 2017 changes have well and truly screwed us (aerodynamically speaking) by going against what the Overtaking Working Group came up with in 2008.  Tell you what, tomorrow morn I'll pick out the most salient/interesting sections for you to peruse - no time/can't be bothered to do it now.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Okay, front wing stufff first: Their purpose has shifted from simply matching downforce produced at the rear to one of controlling airflow, and in particular pushing the wake created by front tyres away from the car.  Left unmolested this wake gets sucked back in around the coke bottle area and upsets airflow to the rear wing & diffuser; so not only does a following car lose downforce off the front wing, it also has reduced control over its own tyre wake and so suffers rear aero losses.  This is why those endplates have been banned.

Issues with 2017 rule changes: The 2008 Overtaking Working Group (OWG) study found that cars produce less 'dirty air' for someone following if they have a smaller diffuser, higher & narrower rear wing, and fewer aero devices strewn across the car.  For 2017 we got: larger diffusers, low & wide rear wings, more aero devices popping up, and also kept the hugely complex front wings.  Oops.

Unintended consequences: Braking.  F1 cars getting heavier should've meant that braking becomes trickier & takes longer, but with more downforce & drag not only is there a smaller difference between top speed and cornering speed, but drivers can actually brake harder because downforce plays such a crucial role in stopping a car from high speed.  The upshot is that braking distance has been reduced - by six car lengths into turn 1 in Barcelona - which is not great news for overtaking.

His solution (not quite in full): "I'd propose a rule set that seeks to reduce the wake creating elements, reduce the sensitive devices needed to support hard worked wings and diffuser, matched to stickier tyres that while durable have a finite life as they wear and lastly a reduction in braking torque.  Primarily this will see larger front/rear wings and diffuser underbody. It's believed that downforce produced by the underbody is less sensitive to following in the wake of another car, so the car should feature longer ground effect tunnels under the floor. While the front and rear wings are longer and a little wider, but shallower than the current wings.

"The increase in these areas is countered by reducing their complexity, with the number of elements and curvature. With the wings and tunnels being much longer, but just 2-3 elements on the front wings and a shallow maximum angle of attack on both the wings and underbody. In this format, we get the downforce, but not the sensitivity and extra drag to slow top speeds.

"Throughout the car simpler bodywork, to rid the cars of the sharp multiple aerodynamic edges. This simplification needs to be added to the wings, but there needs to be some small allowance at the rear wing tip and diffuser outlet to prevent strong tip vortices forming. It's these that create the upwash that wrecks the following car's performance.  Also, a simple turning vane added behind the front tyre. Like those used in the nineties, this will manage the front tyre wake, allowing more efficient rear wings as they'll run in clean air."

He then ponders active aero, making brakes less powerful, and using a push-to-pass system.

That's about as succinct as I could make it.  ;)
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Very nice summary!

Would a regulation be possible wherein you define how dirty air is allowed to get behind your car? As in, measure it in a wind tunnel 3 metres behind your car. If it is XX dirty (I don't know the unit for dirty air :P ) then your car is not permitted to race.

Penfold

I suppose you could measure the air pressure at the point where a trailing car's front wing would be.  Set a minimum permitted level (as a percentage of atmospheric pressure?) at wing height a certain distance behind a car's rear end - or perhaps not one specific distance but in a range, so for example, between 3 and 5 metres back the average pressure must be at least X percent of that experienced by the leading car's front wing.  Would be a fascinating question to throw at an F1 aerodynamicist.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

That would easily cut out any loopholes, basically saying "yeah, maximise your own performance but don't do it in a way that is detrimental to others". Would open up a lot of possible venues to create efficient downforce that does not destroy competition. As it stands today, I assume teams happily fit parts to their car that does not make them faster but makes them harder to follow.

Penfold

I sure as hell would if it didn't cost me any speed!  Though I suspect that as the cars have such complicated aero these days the air is already so disturbed so as to not need any further prodding.

Wonder when we'll hear from Ross Brawn's working group on plans for 2021 regs?  I assume teams are going to want at least a full year to get cracking on new designs, so presumably no later than the tail end of 2019.  Perhaps sooner than that if there are going to be negotiations with the teams - or will it be presented as a fait accompli?
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Since they have enough time to spare, and a new Concorde Agreement needed, I believe 2021 is rather open. I hope Ross Brawn is willing to upset the teams. Let's face it, without the top 3 teams F1 would be way more exciting. Don't be afraid to level the playing field. Mercedes may leave, Red Bull may leave, Ferrari may leave. Let them, then.

Penfold

High-degradation tyres on the cards for 2020: https://www.racefans.net/2018/08/06/f1-planning-return-2011-style-high-tyre-degradation/

Also going to have only four different (dry) compounds being produced from 2020 - with three available at each race same as now.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

'Soft' version of a budget cap to be implemented next year: https://www.racefans.net/2018/08/22/f1-intends-introduce-soft-budget-cap-2019/

No idea what a 'soft' budget cap entails, but by 2021 it will have matured into the full blown variety.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Don't fear the (downforce) reaper, says Ross Brawn: https://racer.com/2018/09/19/f1-shouldnt-fear-reduced-downforce-brawn/

Most interesting paragraph (for those with limited time/attention spans): "The current cars lose up to 50% of aerodynamic performance behind another car, while the 2021 concepts are targeting a reduction of that number to just 20%. Brawn says the changes next year will allow F1 to gauge how accurate those estimates are and understand more about future tweaks."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

20%? Well, losing 20% is still bad but couple that with a MASSIVE SEXY DRS and we're all set for easy overtakes.