2022 Regulatory Overhaul (a.k.a. Project Death to Dirty Air/DRS-free Overtaking)

Started by Penfold, April 06, 2018, 01:57:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrill

Is it actually confirmed that F1 will do away with DRS for 2021? I fear it may remain!
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Penfold

It's not yet confirmed, but the 2021 concept on that racefans link displayed a glorious absence of DRS, and in fact the rear wing was quite a novel design which wouldn't be compatible with anything like the current system.  Of course, the aforementioned concept is still just that, and so remains open to further revision - hopefully adding DRS isn't part of it!
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

"Better safe than sorry" feels like a philosophy Liberty could adopt.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Penfold

Why hire a technical expert like Brawn to oversee a solution to F1's ills and then destroy his work by imposing something as simplistic (and loathed) as DRS?  I mean, they could do it, but you've got to assume they're not that stupid.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Yes, you finally came through. There will probably be some disgruntled team managers and aerodynamic chiefs, because these regulations further limit what a car designer is able to do. Newey has already got bored of F1 once, will a 2021 car be his last? Why stick around for 2022 when you cannot achieve much?

I'd rather have a tight championship with limited ability to develop the cars and "narrow" regulations than what we have today, but that isn't F1. A low budget cap, and more freedom in car development, could also lead to more variety among cars. Those who find a really clever solution know not all teams, if any, can afford copying it.

Chrill

Penfold

So it's currently called Panthera Team Asia F1.  Obviously a very catchy moniker, but does it also point towards them taking Honda engines?  Or, given that the team's founders are French, will they be a second customer for Renault - perhaps one that the works team could actually beat!  Whichever it might be, let's just hope the F1 bigwigs sort out the new rules quickly enough for these Panther guys to make the 2021 season.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Penfold

- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

I mean, Pantera is more groove metal than thrash. So, will they be able to get groovy is the question.

Penfold

A fair point.  Well if the Pantera boys do make F1, I hope it doesn't take them long to get into the groove of things.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

I'm pleased to report that refuelling will not be making a comeback in '21; the FIA has also said it won't be forcing teams to make at least two tyre changes in a race (I didn't know that one was even on the cards!): https://www.racefans.net/2019/09/12/plans-for-refuelling-and-two-mandatory-pit-stops-dropped-by-strategy-group/

- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

I am very encouraged to hear they are not bringing back refuelling. It really did not do much to spice up the action when we had it last, it was just an extra risk for mechanics near the car.

Do you remember in 2005 when we did have refuelling, but no tyre changes? That was a weird season.

Penfold

I do now you bring it up, until then I'd successfully blanked that little detail from my mind.  Christ, the FIA really shouldn't be allowed near F1's rule book without adult supervision.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)