News:

Welcome to the MF1 Forum

Main Menu

The 2021 Season

Started by Penfold, January 31, 2020, 12:54:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penfold

If only. Frankly I find 20 races too much, but of course Liberty has to squeeze every last penny out of their investment.
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

If we host them from March to November, 20 is fine. Squeezing 17 in with the first in July was a bit too much.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Matt

As a Liberty stockholder, I believe they should run 50 races a year.

Chrill

Which two weekends do we skip?
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Matt

Whichever countries pay the most to have their holidays recognized.

Chrill

So we will then not be in the Middle East over Ramadan, but we can just race in Europe then. I think it's Mid-April to Mid-May this year.

Chrill

Calendar changes indeed.

Australia postponed to 19-21 November, which moves several races one weekend earlier or later. The calendar is now set to wrap in Abu Dhabi on 12 December.
China removed from the calendar with no clear paths to reinstatement, so we could potentially miss that venue two years in a row (oh no. Anyway).
Bahrain becomes the season opener, on March 28th
Imola slotted in as the 2nd round, three weeks after the Bahrain GP
One open slot after Imola, 2 May, likely to go to Portimao

This means Bahrain will have hosted three of the four most recent Grands Prix. Huh.

Penfold

They have to keep adding races to compensate for the fee reductions and/or lower annual increases agreed with various circuit owners.  Bernie's inflation-busting 'escalator' deals were always completely unsustainable.

In other news... I see Abiteboul has left Renault/Alpine. 
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

https://www.racefans.net/2021/02/03/f1-may-hold-two-races-in-bahrain-if-portuguese-gp-cannot-go-ahead/

Bahrain could once more host a double-header, probably using the "roval" configuration once, if Portugal fails to contain their current Covid spike.

That would mean Bahrain will have hosted 80% of the last five races.

Chrill

Portugal will hold a race in 2021 also:
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/portugal-vacant-slot-2021-f1-calendar/5373891/

That puts an end to speculation of a 2021 double-header in Bahrain. Season will open with Bahrain followed by Imola and Portugal. That is a short flyaway season opener indeed.

Penfold

I've got my fingers crossed for a shortened DRS zone at the otherwise fantastic Portimao, probably won't get one though.  Oh well, live in hope, die in despair as they say....
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Seems we'll have 3 sprint race qualifiers in 2021, and a 2022 engine freeze. Hmm.

If the sprint race format is popular with fans when trialled, sure go for it.
If it is impopular, and they leave it after these 3 races, fair enough for trying.
If it is impopular but remains despite fan disapproval (which I suppose is the likely outcome), then boo.

Then again, we're racing in Saudi Arabia which few people support. We're doing 23 races which few teams support.

Penfold

Sprint race qualifiers, what a waste of time.  Apart from the "excitement" of having a top guy start from the back on Sunday if they DNF in one of these sprints, what exactly are they meant to achieve... I mean, besides somehow trying to generate more revenue for Liberty?
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Quote from: Penfold on February 16, 2021, 02:59:40 AM
I mean, besides somehow trying to generate more revenue for Liberty?
That's exactly it, though.

If Liberty wants to squeeze 36 races into a season, but they do so over 18 weekends, I'd be OK with it.

Let's see what happens this season, if it's good fun then by all means go for it. If it ruins the show in any way, then please abandon it after testing.

Penfold

It's one thing if they were proposing sprint races, complete with their own qualifying and for Championship points; relegating single-lap qualifying to deciding who starts where for a race which will itself determine Sunday's grid, that's just pissing me off.  It's not going to add anything positive to proceedings, but they didn't get their way on reverse-grid qualifying races so now moving on to Plan B - and presumably try to get people used to this and then revisit Plan A in the future. 

Fine, whatever, almost had it with F1 anyway, won't be watching whichever races they push this on.  I've only kept going this long because I'm interested in whether 2022's rejigged cars will allow non-DRS racing.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)