News:

Welcome to the MF1 Forum

Main Menu

2020 Season - Rate the Drivers

Started by Chrill, July 03, 2020, 08:45:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penfold

Just taking advantage of the pause before Silverstone.  I'll get them done fairly soon - I have to or else the race will fade from my memory....
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Hungary.

Merc:
Hammy - 9 - I don't like giving 10/10 to drivers who win from pole unchallenged because they never had to defend or overtake.
Val - 6

Ferrari:
Seb - 8
'It is I' - 4

Red Bull:
Blur - 4 - Really quite slow.  Almost 70 seconds off Max.
Max - 9

McLaren:
Chuck Norris - 4 - Terrible first lap ruined his race.
Rally Guy's Son - 8

Renault:
Ricky Hairdo - 8
Ocon - 4

Boris Johnson (aka Alpha Tory):
Greasy Peril - X
The Torpedo - 5 - Middling.

Received Pronunciation:
Perez - 4 - Tremendous backwards progress through the field.
The Stroller - 8 - Did Sergio & Lance swap helmets in Hungary?

Alfauber:
Kimi - 7
Adam Ant - 5

Haas:
Big Jean - 5
Son of Magnus - 8

Williams:
Latifi - 2 - What the hell was that?
Jack Russell - 7

Edited for reasons of stupidity....
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Are you sure you got your Haas ratings in the right order? K-Mag scored points, and you gave him 5. Grosjean finished 16th, and he got 8.

Not saying you're not allowed to rate them like this, it's just not what I expected. ;D
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Penfold

Well spotted.  T'other way round they should be.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Silverstone, take 1. Thank you, Racing Point, for ensuring I don't have to add the Hulk quite yet.

Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team:
Lewis Hamilton - 8/10 (Couldn't quite shake his team mate, and couldn't quite make his tyres last. Still, a win is a win is a win, even if on three wheels)
Valtteri Bottas - 7/10 (Pretty much just as fast as Hamilton. His tyres went 90 seconds before Hamilton's and they had done the same distance. Didn't quite have the speed to get within DRS range, but he was close to the Lewis)

Scuderia Ferrari Mission Winnow:
Sebastian Vettel - 3/10 (What a miserable weekend altogether. Barely ran on Friday, only just through to Q3 before starting 10th. From there, moved absolutely nowhere despite two late punctures)
Charles Leclerc - 9/10 (The Ferrari is draggy, so let's remove some wings, right? Heck, it actually worked. Despite the lack of downforce, Leclerc kept it clean and kept his tyres alive. Impressive podium, but even without the late craze he would have been a solid P4)

Aston Martin Red Bull Racing:
Alexander Albon - 6/10 (A poor race, but I don't blame him for coming together with Magnussen. What an unfortunate strategy he ended up running, out of sync with the SCs saw him relegated to the very bottom)
Max Verstappen - 9/10 (I don't think we can ask any more of the Red Bull car right now. Without the punctures, he was P3. He wasn't that far off, and he easily kept Leclerc behind. Pitted for fresh rubber at the end, perhaps he too would have suffered like the others had he not)

McLaren F1 Team:
Lando Norris - 7/10 (Started ahead of his team mate, got slightly caught out in the start. Then he fought back nicely, and I think we can be happy with this)
Carlos Sainz Jr. - 8/10 (Found his way past Norris at the start, and was a little bit faster throughout the race. Poor guy lost his tyres and lost a good amount of points in the process)

Renault DP World F1 Team:
Daniel Ricciardo - 8/10 (P4 in a Renault? Awesome! Just 8/10? Yeah, because two drivers ahead pretty much DNFed at the end. P6 in a Renault? Pretty damn good, so 8/10)
Esteban Ocon - 7/10 (Finally a decent result. Started right behind Ricciardo and pretty much kept him company. Slipped slightly, with Norris finding his way inbetween the two)

Scuderia AlphaTauri Honda:
Pierre Gasly - 8/10 (Good result, including passing Vettel aggressively but nicely. Well done)
Daniil Kvyat - X/10 (I'm not sure where he was running when crashing, but the many SCs made sure he ran few laps before his DNF so no rating)

BWT Racing Point F1 Team:
Sergio Perez or Nico Hülkenberg or whatever - X/10 (Did not participate, did not start. Whatever, Racing Point only ran one car here)
Lance Stroll - 4/10 (Disappointed. Looked the second fastest car here, and should have been at least P4. Instead, he dropped places despite the late punctures for others in front of him. Would have failed to score points had Sainz+Bottas finished ahead of him)

Alfa Romeo Racing ORLEN:
Kimi Räikkönen - 4/10 (Could not keep the hards alive at all, dropped behind everyone before the car broke up entirely)
Antonio Giovinazzi - 6/10 (Slightly better than the old Finn, but not good enough)

Haas F1 Team:
Romain Grosjean - 7/10 (Hard to rate! I was very impressed by his pace on mediums when everyone pitted, but it shuffled him down the order when he had to take a full-speed pit stop. Could not get past anyone after that)
Kevin Magnussen - X/10 (Oops)

Williams Racing:
Nicholas Latifi - 7/10 (Still not a great race, my friend, but at least he was in the mix with the Haases and Alfas, and not far behind his team mate at all
George Russell - 8/10 (Williams have reached Q2 a lot this year, but always failed to match the race pace of Alfa and Haas. Not a problem for Russell, who actually was legitimately chasing Vettel for a while before dropping off near the end)
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Penfold

Any points off Grosjean for his late moves against Ricciardo and Sainz?
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Well, I'd like to deduct for that because I dislike it (Especially on Sainz, but the one on Ricciardo was bad too) but since F1 chose the silly "warning", I deduct .5 points. And rounding up, that's still 7 :D )

Penfold

Whereas my default deduction for such an infringement is .55 points, and unfortunately for Grosjean scores are always rounded to the nearest whole number....
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Quote from: Penfold on August 03, 2020, 08:52:29 AM
Whereas my default deduction for such an infringement is .55 points, and unfortunately for Grosjean scores are always rounded to the nearest whole number....
For his sake, let's hope your original score, pre-deduction, is X.1 instead of an integer.

Penfold

Silverstone 1.

Merc:
Hammy - 8 - Fast enough for pole.
Val - 7 - Fast enough for second.

Ferrari:
Seb - 3 - Slow enough for 10th.
'It is I' - 8 - Surely a better result than Ferrari expected.

Red Bull:
Blur - 5 - Keeps going for gaps that exist only if the other guy takes evasive action.
Max - 9 - Stayed impressively close to the Mercs.

McLaren:
Chuck Norris - 8 - Lost out at start to Sainz but was quicker towards end of race - seemed to keep more life in his tyres.
Rally Guy's Son - 8 - Unfortunate ending to an otherwise strong race.

Renault:
Ricky Hairdo - 8 - Fortunate ending to a strong race.
Ocon - 7 - Getting back into the swing of things.

Greasy Peril - 9 - Good on Saturday, better on Sunday.
The Torpedo - X - Tyre failure.

Received Pronunciation:
Perez/Hulk - X - Engine failure.
The Stroller - 4 - Safety car didn't do him any favours (lost the advantage of qualifying on mediums), but was oddly slow later in the race.

Alfauber:
Kimi - 4 - Marginally outqualified and then beaten in race by the next guy down.
Adam Ant - 5 - Marginally outqualified and outraced the previous chap.

Haas:
Big Jean - 6 - Scored a 7.049 but then deductions for dodgy defensive driving (DDD) kicked in.
Son of Magnus - X - Taken out by Alexander "I see a gap" Albon.

Williams:
Latifi - 6 - Close to Russell in race but deducted one point for being a full second slower than him in Q1.
Jack Russell - 8 - A mere ten seconds back from Vettel - not sure who that says more about....
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Awesome, I'll do my Silverstone 2 ratings in a bit, let's just look at the stats after Silverstone 1:

Several drivers jumped up two places, Russell P9 --> P7 for example.

The biggest drop was Vettel, who after Hungary was rated 15th and after Silverstone 1 was rated 19th.

Our greatest disagreement is Albon and Grosjean (I rate both at 6.5, you rate both at 5.5).

We both rate Hamilton 8.5, Vettel 4.67, Latifi 4.5.

I am more generous in my ratings for 13 of the drivers, you are more generous for 4.

Chrill

Ugh, so with Silverstone 2 I finally have to squeeze Hulkenberg into the document. Ok then, I'll do it someday.

Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team:
Lewis Hamilton - 8/10 (His driving was 6/10 at best up until the final stint. That one boosted him with +2)
Valtteri Bottas - 7/10 (Shame. Looked like he had this one, Hamilton could not get to him. Then both Hamilton and Verstappen did. Huh)

Scuderia Ferrari Mission Winnow:
Sebastian Vettel - 2/10 (OK, come on now. You fail to reach Q3 which was expected, then you just sort of spin on your own. Despite running more downforce than Leclerc? Horrid. I get it, this car does not suit you, but this is embarrassing for any F1 driver let alone a FOUR TIME world champion)
Charles Leclerc - 9/10 (P3 last weekend, P4 now. Still, what a race. The only one to make a 1-stopper work properly. Others did do one stop, but they didn't score points)

Aston Martin Red Bull Racing:
Alexander Albon - 8/10 (Great race! Stuck in the middle, pitted first of everyone and was therefore dead last. In the end, he found his way past the Racing Points to score P5. Good, Albon!)
Max Verstappen - 10/10 (Well... The Red Bull should not have been fast enough. It was just incredibly kind on the tyres here. Well done, Maximus. Great drive)

McLaren F1 Team:
Lando Norris - 7/10 (I'm not sure he was in the race, but the race report in front of me claims he finished 9th after starting 10th. I guess that's a good performance!)
Carlos Sainz Jr. - 5/10 (He was in the race! I know that, I saw him once or twice. He wasn't really near the points, just stuck in traffic all the time. Not good enough)

Renault DP World F1 Team:
Daniel Ricciardo - 6/10 (Welp! Forced to 3-stop since he spun on fresh hards. That dropped him from a very solid battle for sixth down to a non-points scoring position)
Esteban Ocon - 8/10 (Perhaps not really better than Ricciardo, but well he did not spin so definitely better. Solid points, for the second week running. Good!)

Scuderia AlphaTauri Honda:
Pierre Gasly - 6/10 (Did not have the pace he had last weekend, and ended up outside the points)
Daniil Kvyat - 8/10 (Started 16th, and scored the final point ahead of Gasly. Did not expect him to beat the Frenchman in this race)

BWT Racing Point F1 Team:
Nico Hülkenberg - 7/10 (That was solidly reliable. P3 on the grid, P4 after one lap, then could not manage his tyres well enough and was forced to 3-stop due to heavy blisters on the rears. Hulk can't blame his lack of knowledge of these Pirellis, they're the same as in 2019!)
Lance Stroll - 7/10 (Wasn't quite able to beat Hulkenberg on pace, but then again he managed his tyres better. I guess a tie for these two is fair)

Alfa Romeo Racing ORLEN:
Kimi Räikkönen - 8/10 (Considering how shit this car is in Q, finishing ahead of others is always strong. In this race, he finished ahead of five or so guys on a one-stopper. Good!)
Antonio Giovinazzi - 6/10 (Like Kimi, but ahead of fewer cars and not one-stopping. So not like Kimi, really)

Haas F1 Team:
Romain Grosjean - 6/10 (I don't really know how he did, the midfield was so busy I couldn't much keep my eye on the rear. He started 13th, finished 16th. That's not great, right?)
Kevin Magnussen - 6/10 (Literally retired after a lack of tyres. Planned to two-stop, but his final hard tyres blistered and he only had softs left. Didn't bother with them)

Williams Racing:
Nicholas Latifi - 6/10 (Decent race, nothing more nothing less)
George Russell - 6/10 (Decent race, nothing more nothing less)

Also, I did sort out Hülkenberg in the document. I did it a bit differently to when Albon was promoted last year, I think this is a bit cleaner. A very light red background with text N/A over the driver pairings that did not exist at a specific race (so Hulk-Stroll up until Silverstone 1):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fILMrPMu3i4eSzHIR_ZN7mJCZ9HZX9hsFf5HTSQpzTM/edit?usp=sharing

Penfold

Silverstone 2.

Merc:
Hammy - 7 - Nice of Merc to use Bottas as a tyre guinea pig and adjust Hamilton's strategy accordingly.
Val - 7 - And that's with a +1 for grabbing pole.

Ferrari:
Seb - 2 - Good grief.
'It is I' - 9 - Tempted to award a 10, but I'm just not that generous.

Red Bull:
Blur - 7 - Don't get me wrong, it was a good drive, but he shouldn't have been starting in 9th.
Max - 10 - Great for him and great for us to have a different winner.

McLaren:
Chuck Norris - 7
Rally Guy's Son - 5

Renault:
Ricky Hairdo - 5
Ocon - 7

Greasy Peril - 6 - Team screwed him by mirroring Albon's pit-stop.
The Torpedo - 7

Received Pronunciation:
Hulk - 7
The Stroller - 7

Alfauber:
Kimi - 7 -
Adam Ant - 5

Haas:
Big Jean - 6 - No idea.  You find it hard to keep track of these guys... imagine doing it from only highlights!
Son of Magnus -  6

Williams:
Latifi - 6
Jack Russell - 6
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Thank you!

The stats are updated. We got a big surprise here. The biggest climber after Silverstone 2? Perez. Yes, the Perez not racing. Several drivers dropped below him thanks to less than stellar performances.

Now, how did this happen? Well, Perez averages 7.333 this year. The following drivers dropped below him at Silverstone 2:

Valtteri Bottas: 7.333 --> 7.300
Daniel Ricciardo: 7.444 --> 7.200
Carlos Sainz Jr: 7.444 --> 7.200

So you see, their losses are small but enough to bump Perez up to 4th!

In other news, the Hülk goes straight to P9 after two 7s. This drops Vettel to a historically low P21 in our standings.

Best climber:
Sergio Pérez (P7 -> P4)

Biggest drop:
Carlos Sainz Jr. (P3 -> P6)

Max has claimed the lead, passing Lewis after scoring two 10s from us. He is also the driver who, so far this year, is the one most improved compared to 2019 (at +2.238).

The team stats page broke thanks to Hülkenberg, I'll probably bother with those later.

Penfold

Vettel in 21st... I don't know whether to laugh or cry.  Oh hang on, yes I do, it's option no.1!

Max driving like a demon this year.  Need Barcelona to be (tyre) blisteringly hot to peg back the Mercs - although harder compounds than last race.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)