News:

Welcome to the MF1 Forum

Main Menu

2020 Season - Rate the Drivers

Started by Chrill, July 03, 2020, 08:45:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

Stroll in 15th makes no sense. Perez blew him away in points down the stretch, but Stroll did have a bunch of issues that were not his fault during that stretch.

Chrill

Stroll put on some pretty strong displays of his own this year, including of course the pole position in Istanbul. I'd highlight Sakhir too, of course. And he was on the podium in Italy, no? So to me, 15th is just not correct by Racefans.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Penfold

Also can't understand Stroll in 15th, he was a mid-level performer in my mind.  I mean, how has he been rated lower than Kvyat?
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Matt

Vergne: Beat Kvyat (and got fired for it!)
Ricciardo: (Lost to Kvyat, but Kvyat got dropped soon after!)
Sainz: Beat Kvyat
Albon: Didn't beat Kvyat (and got promoted for it!)
Gasly: Beat Kvyat

Maybe Red Bull (and everyone else) needs to stop comparing people to Kvyat. This is the first time I've ever realized that the only teammate Kvyat has ever beaten in points over a full season is Ricciardo, probably the best teammate he has had.

Chrill

Racefans                    Our Ratings (compared to Racefans)
20. Nicholas Latifi         20. Antonio Giovinazzi (-4)
19. Sebastian Vettel        19. Nicholas Latifi (+1)
18. Alexander Albon         18. Alexander Albon (+0)
17. Romain Grosjean         17. Sebastian Vettel (+2)
16. Antonio Giovinazzi      16. Kevin Magnussen (-5)
15. Lance Stroll            15. Daniil Kvyat (-2)
14. Esteban Ocon            14. Romain Grosjean (+3)
13. Daniil Kvyat            13. Valtteri Bottas (TBD)
12. Kimi Räikkönen          12. Esteban Ocon (+2)
11. Kevin Magnussen         11. Charles Leclerc (TBD)
10. Lando Norris            10. Lance Stroll (+5)
09. George Russell          09. Kimi Räikkönen (+3)
08. TBD                     08. George Russell (+1)
07. TBD                     07. Pierre Gasly (TBD)
06. TBD                     06. Daniel Ricciardo (TBD)
05. TBD                     05. Lando Norris (+5)
04. TBD                     04. Max Verstappen (TBD)
03. TBD                     03. Sergio Pérez (TBD)
02. TBD                     02. Carlos Sainz Jr. (TBD)
01. TBD                     01. Lewis Hamilton (TBD)

Kevin was 11th (compared to 16th with us) and Lando 10th (compared to 5th with us). I cannot possibly agree that Norris and Magnussen were almost equally good in 2020. That's just not what we saw on track.

Russell in 9th is fair though. We had him at 8, so that's pretty much the same. Kimi 12th to 9th feels fair enough too, Kimi was slower at the end of 2020 when we rated fewer races.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Matt

It's basically impossible for me to rate Grosjean or Magnussen. Their car was junk and they're not that different from each other on performance, so who knows?

Chrill

My take is that you can only truly compete with your team mate, so I tend not to rate both drivers in one team too highly. The exception to that is McLaren, where to me it seems as though the car was pushed to the limit by both Sainz and Norris.