News:

Welcome to the MF1 Forum

Main Menu

2017 Season - Rate the Drivers

Started by Chrill, March 26, 2017, 01:24:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penfold

I'm still debating just how few points to give the Haas guys.  Back later today (or tomorrow) with my decision - bet you can hardly wait!
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Also, is it just me or is the encoding for this site a bit of a mess. It struggles with the Hulk and Raikkonen whenever I use the umlauts for example.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Penfold

I have noticed the odd glitch.  For instance, every driver in your USA 'Rate the Drivers' post has acquired this funny little group of characters after their names: –

That's assuming you didn't leave them as a cryptic message to the rest of us.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Indeed. I change it back to - every now and then, and a couple days later it's reverted to them strange signs.

EDIT: Added a new function to the comparison page. I have a ranking of the drivers based on our mutual average rating. I now save the previous ranking (from the previous race) to see how they changed. For example, Grosjean went from P16 to P18 and Magnussen from P18 to P20. Gasly from from P20 to P16 (but he is more volatile thanks to having few ratings)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dnPSeVbYFM6KP0SW2SPGzJch7KAiLuaUvD4hpSWSHek/edit?usp=sharing
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Penfold

Must be a message from the forum Gods.  Best not to tinker with their divine utterances....

Edit: Hope you take this in the helpful spirit intended, because God knows your English is really fantastic, but it should read 'I change it back too' rather than 'to'.

Edit no. 2: Wow.  All we need for next season is a graph to keep track of their average rating/ranking.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Quote from: Penfold on November 13, 2017, 01:58:39 AM
Edit no. 2: Wow.  All we need for next season is a graph to keep track of their average rating/ranking.
Consider it in development. There is no such thing as "over the top".

Penfold

Nice.  I suppose another logical addition would be some year-on-year comparisons - who were the biggest improvers/backsliders compared to previous seasons?
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Brazil:

Merc:
Hammy - 7 - Should've been pole & win given pace of car but he blew it in quali.  Ridiculous ease of progress on Sunday illustrates why I hate DRS with more passion than I can convey in words alone.   
Val - 8 - With Hammy sidelining himself on Saturday, and the car clearly having the legs of the Ferraris, this should've been pole & the win.

Red Bull
The Pie Man - 8 - Had to work harder than Hammy on Sunday (plenty of late braking required) but still too much gain from DRS - car under attack has almost zero chance of defending position.
Max - 8 - Won the inter-team battle in quali, finished as far up as possible in the race.

Ferrari:
Seb - 9 - Great move on Bottas, able to keep clear of DRS zone attacks.
Kimi - 8 - Much closer to Seb and perhaps his best performance of the year, though entirely possible I've forgotten a better one (memory is the first thing to go, followed quickly by memory).

Force India:
Perez - 6 - Had the better of Ocon this weekend which will cheer him, dropping behind Massa & Alonso not so much.
Ocon - X - Haas!

Williams
Baby - 9 - Far, far better way to end things in Brazil.  Nipped ahead of Alonso and used that Merc speed to frustrate him for 65 laps.
Stroller - 3 - Bad.  Really bad.  In practice, in qualifying, in the race, probably on the drive to the hotel afterwards....

McHonda
Aslan - 9 - What an entertaining fight with Massa, if only McLaren had gone for an earlier stop.
Van Door - X - Those bloody Haas drivers!

Toro Rosso:
Gasly - 7 - Decent effort.  Finishing ahead of Sauber (and maybe Haas) is about all the Toro Rosso has in it these days.
J.R. - 5 - Struggled compared to Pierre and then he retired.

Haas:
Big Jean - 3 - Said he suffered a puncture at race start and that's why he went into Ocon - good of the tyre to wait until that exact moment to reveal its injury.  Slow for rest of race.
Son of Magnus - 1 - Needlessly crashed into Stoffel.  Plenty of room on his right, car didn't appear to be sliding/out of control.  Just squeezed right into him.

Renault:
Hulk - 6 - Solid but unspectacular from the Renault boys.
Sainz - 6 - Yes, both of them.

Sauber:
Chrill's mate Marcus - 8 - Besting your team-mate, that's what it's all about.
Blaise - 7 - Ran out of tyres after a long stint.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

I have a request:

Explain Hartley's and Wehrlein's nicknames. Explain the lack of nicknames for Force India drivers. Explain why Ricciardo isn't labelled "Honey badger".

The best nickname by far in your list is Felipe baby.

Penfold

I should preface this by saying there is often/almost always no rhyme or reason to the nicknames doled out.

Easiest just to Google J.R. Hartley - yeah, I can see why you wouldn't get that one; whereas it's painfully obvious that Wehrlein is named in honour of 17th Century French mathematician Blaise Pascal.  "Ahh, of course he is, silly me!" I hear you thinking.

Force India duo - nothing leaps out at me, you can't force the issue.

'Honey Badger' is Ricciardo's official nickname and sadly I'm not licensed to use it.  Perhaps I'll think of a different one for him... Desperate Dan springs to mind.  And what does Desperate Dan love?  Cow Pies!  I shall add his new name forthwith.

Edit: 'Val' is short for 'Valerie', in case you've been thinking I just knocked a ton of letters off Bottas's name.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Right, so your reference for the Kiwi rookie is for a 30 year old Yellow Pages advert broadcast in the UK. Maketh sense.

Regarding Pascal: Ahh, of course he is, silly me!

Force India: If it can't be forced, just force it.

Cow pies for Dan? He'll like it.

Val is quite clearly not short for Valtteri but indeed Valerie. Why won't you come on over, Bottas?

Chrill

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dnPSeVbYFM6KP0SW2SPGzJch7KAiLuaUvD4hpSWSHek/edit#gid=905211002

I have played with COLOURS for the ratings. Compare your ratings to mine. Do you prefer the way ratings vs your team mate is shown on my or your stats? Yours is scaled from -2 to +2 (Green to yellow to red).

In yours, drivers like Hulkenberg (+2.857 over Palmer) is very clear whereas drivers like Verstappen (+0.451 over Riccairdo) is much milder in its color.

Chrill

And since I'm bored, I started playing with a 2018 design. Because Australia is just around the corner.

Which of these do you prefer, nation flags or 3-letter nation codes?

Penfold

Flags - they look snazzier!  Also, that's a nice, clean design for the 2018 version.

Definitely with colours scaled for the ratings - really stands out who's been dominating their team-mates.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Quote from: Chrill on November 15, 2017, 02:42:23 PMForce India: If it can't be forced, just force it.

You see, if Ocon was inconsistent like KMag I'd simply call him Offon.  Damn guy insists on being fast at every race.

No idea for Perez.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)