News:

Welcome to the MF1 Forum

Main Menu

The 2018 Season

Started by Penfold, June 21, 2017, 03:23:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penfold

Please just use it on shorter straights to help drivers get in a position for an unassisted overtake, the run into La Source would be a perfect example.  Unfortunately, we have Charlie Whiting deciding matters and he didn't think it was a problem that DRS made passing so easy at Spa - in other words, we're screwed.  Charlie has also previously ruled out giving drivers a set number of DRS uses per race, to be available whatever their position, as he doesn't believe it should be anything other than an offensive tool (well, I do find it offensive, and Charlie is a tool...).
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Renault's C-spec engine is more powerful, a gain of perhaps 0.3s per lap in quali at Monza, but it is also more likely to go bang: https://www.racefans.net/2018/08/28/renault-new-f1-engine-significantly-more-powerful-less-reliable/
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

I like the gamble. It's a bit like "Ricciardo may win, Verstappen may too, but most likely they'll go bang on lap 33 despite running 5th and 6th anyway"
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Chrill

Stroll has had a seat fitting at Force India, but Ocon and Perez will race for the Pink Racing Panther Point in Monza.

https://www.racefans.net/2018/08/28/stroll-visits-force-india-but-ocon-to-drive-at-monza/
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Penfold

Pink Panther Racing... they should try and get that name cleared with whoever holds the rights these days.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

New power units for Ricciardo and Hulk will leave them at the back of Sunday's grid.  Seems that Hulk's ten-place grid drop for stupidity at Spa gets superseded by the engine penalty... so apart from some points on his licence, he gets off scot-free for taking out four drivers.

In other news: Monza is wet, will stay wet throughout the day, and might still be a bit on the damp side tomorrow morning.  Should be dry for qualifying and looking fine for the race.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Ricciardo's engine cut out during FP1, but he managed to exit safemode and make it to the pits. He then returned to the track to continue practice.

Penfold

Ericsson also at (or near) back of grid after engine/gearbox damage courtesy of yesterday's rather spectacular crash.  Got to love DRS.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Matt

?There are many classes of drivers and then there's the Haas ones, who have the third- or fourth-best car of the grid and are out in Q2."

Some standard Alonso hyperbole, but also a great quote.

Penfold

Wondering how many points Haas would have with a Perez/Ocon pairing.  Got to think somewhere north of 100 is possible, and with that they'd be secure in 4th ahead of Renault.  Still, they won't end any lower than fifth courtesy of McLaren building a fairly awful car (and only having one Alonso), and Force India having to start from scratch after twelve races.

Great to see Kimi on pole... although Seb didn't seem too happy about it!
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Why Haas (well, Grosjean) has been disqualified from Monza GP:

Renault said Haas had breached article 3.7.1 d of the Technical Regulations, which focuses on the radius of the leading corners of the floor's reference plane.

Back in July, governing body the FIA issued a Technical Directive clarifying the regulation and stipulated that teams must bring their cars into conformity before the Italian Grand Prix.  It emerged during the hearing that Haas emailed the FIA, as is common in these matters, with details of their new solution but because of the limited time, given the summer break and two-week shutdown, they had asked for some flexibility in the matter.

Haas said they would "endeavour to introduce this upgrade for the Singapore GP but will be somewhat at the mercy of our suppliers".  The FIA did not respond to the latter point, with Haas telling the stewards at the hearing that it was their understanding that "a lack of response on the matter of timing indicated that their solution and timing were accepted".

But the stewards said in their statement: "While the Stewards are also sympathetic to the difficulties of producing these parts, the Stewards noted that at least one other competitor was able to comply in the time provided."

- Difference with Haas is that as they don't produce their floors in-house it's a longer process to make this change, meaning their options at Monza were to race with the old floor or not race at all.  Perhaps the FIA should check their inbox more often.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Paddy Lowe confirms that if Williams make a mid-season driver change, it will be Robert Kubica stepping up to replace Stroll:

https://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/path-clearing-robert-kubicas-return-formula-1-seat

With this dragging on, word is that Force India does not want to draft Stroll yet since they expect the Perez-Ocon pairing to bring in more points. Stroll may have to wait until 2019 before joining Force India Racing Point Pink Panther F1 Team.

Penfold

Whoever drives for them this year, the important point is that we've finally nailed down the team name.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

I'd abbreviate it though. FIRPPPF1.

Penfold

FIRPPP F1.  I'm assuming the final two 'P's' are silent, so the name rhymes with 'burp'.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)