News:

Welcome to the MF1 Forum

Main Menu

2019 Season - Rate the Drivers

Started by Chrill, March 17, 2019, 01:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrill

Also, I built a new page called "Team Comparison". Only problem is, it does not work. I will need to find a different way to do it, because what it currently does is take the averages of the drivers from the Driver Page, and call that the Team score. Problem is, whenever a drivers position changes, the Team score won't follow and so it will suddenly rate the wrong drivers.

For example, Red Bull's score is calculated based on the score for the drivers in position 1 and 19, Verstappen and Gasly. Now, if someone else got ranked 19th then they would be the one rated for Red Bull.

The easiest fix is to create a new, fixed table, where all driver averages are also stored. Then the team page can call on those. I'll do it before the next race, I do have two weeks. For now, the numbers are accurate.

The Team Comparison page will tell us which driver pairing is doing the best, but more interestingly could reveal if we favour drivers from a certain team.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Penfold

Quote from: Chrill on July 02, 2019, 08:26:44 AM
Desperately last is still Giovinazzi despite his points, a 4.708 on average sees him sit far behind Gasly on 5.333.

Hey, Gasly is doing his level best to catch down to Ant.  Give the man just a little more time.

I hadn't checked your tables for a while (sorry!), and whilst I fully expected to see Max at the top given how he's been driving, I must say the scale of his lead over Hammy came as a surprise.

Thumbs up for the Team Comparison feature.  No shock to see the Haas boys bringing up the rear....
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Quote from: Penfold on July 03, 2019, 01:08:10 AM
I hadn't checked your tables for a while (sorry!)
Well I hadn't updated them for a while either. :P
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Chrill

Britannia!

Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport:
Lewis Hamilton - 9/10 (Well yikes. That last lap was fast, and those tyres were old. Lucked into the lead with a SC, but nobody had a chance to keep up after that)
Valtteri Bottas - 8/10 (Held the start, nicely done, but elected to run a second stint on mediums effectively locking him into a two-stopper. Did not work)

Scuderia Ferrari:
Sebastian Vettel - 4/10 (Some good driving, coupled with some really bad driving. Openly admitted he was at fault, and accepted his penalty. P16 is not really where Ferrari wants to finish)
Charles Leclerc - 9/10 (Some great duels with Gasly and Verstappen, and in the end that gave him a podium finish. Starting to settle himself in as the number one driver at Ferrari)

Aston Martin Red Bull Racing:
Pierre Gasly - 8/10 (Now look at this guy. He beat Verstappen! Yes, slightly helped by the fact Verstappen flew through the air a bit and almost retired from the race, but still only seconds away from his first podium finish)
Max Verstappen - 9/10 (Great battles with Leclerc, great overtake on Vettel, then boom. Wow, Verstappen was the mature one on track. P5 was a lucky finish in the end, he should have had to retire)

Renault F1 Team:
Daniel Ricciardo - 7/10 (P7 on the grid, P7 at the finish, 7 points)
Nico Hülkenberg - 5/10 (P10 on the grid, P10 at the finish, not 10 points)

Rich Energy Haas F1 Team:
Romain Grosjean - 1/10 (You do not crash into your team mate)
Kevin Magnussen - 1/10 (See above)

McLaren F1 Team:
Lando Norris - 7/10 (Got caught out during the SC and could not recover)
Carlos Sainz Jr. - 9/10 (Did not get caught out during the SC, finished best of the rest. Good stuff)

SportPesa Racing Point F1 Team:
Sergio Perez - 4/10 (Crashed, pitted, never caught up to Williams)
Lance Stroll - 7/10 (Like Perez except did not crash, was always ahead of Williams and... ok, nothing like Perez. Good racecraft as we've come to expect from Stroll)

Alfa Romeo Racing:
Kimi Räikkönen - 8/10 (Did what Sainz did, but not quite as well. Still, P8 isn't too bad!)
Antonio Giovinazzi - 4/10 (Back to form, Antonio. Outqualified Kimi but made himself look a bit foolish crashing out)

Red Bull Toro Rosso Honda:
Alexander Albon - 6/10 (Rather poor race, caught out just like Norris and followed him home)
Daniil Kvyat - 8/10 (P17 to P9? Well now, this kind of drive would be just what Red Bull needs to move him up to the big team, assuming Gasly cannot match Verstappen. Which he did. Sorry, Danny)

ROKiT Williams Racing:
George Russell - 7/10 (It is...)
Robert Kubica - 6/10 (...what it is)

Penfold

Scores... back later today to do them.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Later today.

Silverstone:

Merc:
Hammy - 9 - Had the pace to beat Val even without safety car, but it obviously made things far easier.
Val - 8 - Don't know why Merc went for that second set of mediums, it only served to shut down his options.

Ferrari:
Seb - 5 - Was all going quite well until he encountered another car on track.  Doesn't handle such situations so well these days.
'It is I' - 9 - By contrast, this chap plays superbly with other.  In this instance with both Red Bulls.

Red Bull:
Greasy Peril - 8 - Blimey.  Remembered how to drive.
Max - 9 - More great racing from this guy, and top marks to Red Bull for building a tank.

Renault:
Ricky Hairdo - 8 - Great decision to pit him during safety car even though his tyres were just eight laps old.
Hulk - 5 - I thought a fairly mediocre comment would suffice for a fairly mediocre performance.  And there you have it.

Haas:
Big Jean - 0 - Enough ...
Son of Magnus - 0 - ... is enough.

McLaren:
Chuck Norris - 8 - Should've pitted him during safety car even though his tyres were just eight laps old.
Rally Guy's Son - 9 - Lucky with the safety car but superb defensive driving to hold back the Hairdo chap.

Racing Point:
Perez - 4 - Oops.
The Stroller - 7 - No oops.  Hopefully more to come from Team FRIP when upgrades arrive in Germany.

Alfauber:
Kimi - 8 - Once again finished ahead of Hulk.  Just thought I'd mention it....
Adam Ant - 3 - Could only be worse if he crashed into his teammate, but what sort of idiots would do that?

Toro Rosso:
Blur - 6 - Couldn't make a second stop because of some electrical issue with car, thus condemned to an overly long stint.
The Torpedo - 8 - Making a much better fist of F1 this time around.

Williams: (Feel they've fractionally closed the gap to the other teams)
Jack - 7 - Solid.  Hope Germany updates cut this yawning deficit to the rest.
One-Armed Bandit - 6 - Close to Jack this time.  Real close.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Penfold

... and I wouldn't say my scores are even as exciting as an avocado.

Edit: Random words arranged into non-random sentences added for Hulk, Sainz, and whoever else had a naked score in my Silverstone ratings.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Matt

Lewis Hamilton - 4/10 (Two offs and was running last on the road until the last SC. Threw away a win)
Valtteri Bottas - 3/10 (But at least Hamilton finished)

Scuderia Ferrari:
Sebastian Vettel - 9/10 (Yeah, last to 2nd, but he was pretty much stuck in the lower points until the very end, so not a 10)
Charles Leclerc - 2/10 (Complained about the run-off as if he didn't go wide three times on that corner. That's an extra point deduction)

Pierre Gasly - 4/10
Max Verstappen - 10/10 (No mistakes, unlike almost everyone else on [or off, as the case may be] the track)

Renault F1 Team:
Daniel Ricciardo - X/10 (Wasn't running that great, but he retired so early it's impossible to say anything)
Nico Hülkenberg - 3/10 (Threw away a probable first podium)

Romain Grosjean - 7/10
Kevin Magnussen - 7/10 (They only hit each other once!)

McLaren F1 Team:
Lando Norris - 6/10 (Mechanical failure, but wasn't great to begin with)
Carlos Sainz Jr. - 8/10

Sergio Perez - 1/10 (Crashed before anyone else could)
Lance Stroll - 9/10 (Held on to fourth in probably the third worst car)

Alfa Romeo Racing:
Kimi Räikkönen - 7/10 (Ignoring the penalties here. Went off once and that probably cost him a spot or two)
Antonio Giovinazzi - 6/10 (Not as good as Kimi, but not as bad as normal)

Alexander Albon - 8/10
Daniil Kvyat - 9/10 (Deciding who should replace Gasly is a fairly tough call. Think the nod would go to Kvyat with Albon given a second season at STR)

ROKiT Williams Racing:
George Russell - 7/10
Robert Kubica - 8/10 (POINTS)

Penfold

Max did have his little 360 degree spin shortly after Red Bull had bolted on a set of mediums, but I think he can be forgiven that one!
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Anyone reaching the flag without crashing is worthy of a high score. That includes the 13 finishers except Hamilton, who crashed twice. ;D I'll be back with scores later. Thanks for rating, Matt!

Penfold

Only saw extended highlights (about 45 mins of action) so some bits chopped out - mostly it was the SC/VSC laps as I only noticed two in-race forward jumps in the lap counter - but did Hammy crash twice or was it the one crash and the one high-speed spin?
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Yes, the high-speed spin. He did not touch the wall more than once, but he did go off the track big time twice.

Penfold

Cheers.  I didn't think they'd miss out a Hammy crash but wanted to check.  Now Sainz's off/spin was lost in one of the jumps forward and never shown or mentioned.  Race moved on several laps and Carlos was suddenly down behind Norris, only knew he'd had an incident when the 'pit-stops taken' graphic showed he'd still made just the one tyre change.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Germany. Anyone finishing without crashing into someone else or a barrier is likely to score at least 7, I'd think.

Lewis Hamilton - 3/10 (Off the track twice, one of which resulted in a crash. That cannot be anything higher than 3)
Valtteri Bottas - 5/10 (Running in P2 when crashing out. Costly, but made only the one mistake to Hamilton's 2)

Scuderia Ferrari:
Sebastian Vettel - 9/10 (Looked off the pace at times, but when the race really came alive he did nothing wrong and secured a magnificent P2)
Charles Leclerc - 5/10 (Got too hot when Hamilton was in the pits, and simply crashed. Was running well before that)

Pierre Gasly - 4/10 (Ah yes, it is the Gasly we all know. Poor getaway, poor race, and finally crashes into a Toro Rosso to give himself that all-important DNF)
Max Verstappen - 10/10 (Deducting one for spinning off the track, but then again everything else was magnificent so he's reduced from 11 to 10)

Renault F1 Team:
Daniel Ricciardo - 6/10 (Did nothing remarkable but did stay out of trouble. Then the car said "no")
Nico Hülkenberg - 7/10 (Did something remarkable, a podium was on the cards. Then the driver said "no")

Romain Grosjean - 7/10 (Haas, why do you...)
Kevin Magnussen - 6/10 (...always come together?)

McLaren F1 Team:
Lando Norris - 6/10 (Was running OK before his car looked at Daniel Ricciardo and said "yes")
Carlos Sainz Jr. - 9/10 (He was only one second from a podium finish in the end. That is stunning)

Sergio Perez - X/10 (Well, he did make this race come alive so thank you for that)
Lance Stroll - 9/10 (He actually had a really poor race before that one decision which elevated him to the front of the pack. Clever decision, and he made the slicks work before anyone else. Great drive, Lance!)

Alfa Romeo Racing:
Kimi Räikkönen - 7/10 (Sadly he fell away after a great start (Oh yes, the traction control simulation with the clutch...) and in the end it wasn't his race. He even spun a bit!)
Antonio Giovinazzi - 5/10 (Like Kimi but behind him)

Alexander Albon - 8/10 (Kept his cool, had to try an overtake on Lewis which compromised him, but still scored a career best P6)
Daniil Kvyat - 10/10 (Oh mama. Oh dada I should say, for his wife gave birth to their daughter less than 24 hours before the race. And then he raced like this. He simply made a pass for P3 and finished on the podium. In a Toro Rosso. Hot stuff)

ROKiT Williams Racing:
George Russell - 8/10 (On a day where everyone crashed, he didn't. That's about as good as they come for Williams in 2019)
Robert Kubica - 9/10 (Like Russell, but ahead of him and INTO THE POINTS!)