News:

Welcome to the MF1 Forum

Main Menu

Formula 1 Circuits

Started by Penfold, March 03, 2017, 03:55:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrill

Yes, Baku have really turned around opinions. It's a bit of a bonkers race but it works for precisely that reason. Vietnam may well go down the same route, with an absolutely insane straight.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Penfold

... special 'power boost' ramps with flaming hoops to leap through? 
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Matt

Penfold

It's a good start... now bring on the fire!
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Penfold

Financial Times reporting that Liberty Media and the BRDC are close to agreeing terms on a new Silverstone contract.  Not much detail out there at the mo, but you won't be shocked to hear that money is the sticking point: Liberty said to want £18 million/year; the BRDC angling for £15 million/year.  Meeting in the middle sounds fair enough.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

As compared to the current deal at what per year?

According to Sky Sports:

£12m in 2010 --> £17m for 2017 --> £27m for 2026

The race ran at a loss of £4.8 million in 2016 (at what I'm guessing is a rough £16 million cost for hosting). If BRDC are offering £15 million per year, that seems rather close to reasonable.

Penfold

... and then there's the inflation to consider: Seems highly unlikely that Liberty would accept a flat fee for duration of the contract, so question is what annual increase would be acceptable to both sides?  Bernie insisted on a ruinous 5% yearly hike, but if Liberty offers something like 2% per annum then that should be affordable for Silverstone - and more importantly for its patrons.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

And then there's the financial chaos of Brexit ruining your economy and decreasing the number of foreign visitors.

FORZA EUROPA et cetera.

Penfold

If Brexit is going to ruin our economy then you should be pointing to an increase in tourism as a result of currency devaluation - as happened after the referendum provoked a much needed drop in Sterling.  As it happens, I'm a firm believer in the benefits of considered regulation and free trade, so you're never going to convince me that being part of the EU's over-regulated, protectionist trade bloc is beneficial; I'm also a firm believer that the Euro can only survive in the medium- to long-term if there's a fiscal & debt union between its members.  I'm not sure what the role will be for non-Euro members when the majority are locked into something akin to a single federal state, but I would hazard a guess at it being one of ever more diminished influence over the EU's direction of travel.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Oh. I thought my "FORZA EUROPA et cetera" highlighted that I am very knowledgeable in this topic.

Penfold

Indeed.

Those guys in Miami still not decided on whether to approve running a GP on their streets; in fact, they are so undecided that they have decided to postpone making a decisive decision until late May.  This is assuming they don't then decide to revise that decision and once more alter the date for a final decision.  More words saying the same thing (albeit with far fewer uses of 'decided'): https://www.racefans.net/2019/04/09/miami-grand-prix-decision-delayed-again/
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Malaysia's Prime Minister, "Dr M" (surely he's in the next Bond movie?) wants the race back.

https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/dr-m-says-f1-may-return-malaysia-next-year

I mean, why can't they do some sort of three-way alternation with Singapore and Vietnam? Hosting every 3rd year must be more worthwhile than annually, if cost is an issue.

Penfold

Cost is always the issue.  That said, Singapore has plenty of cash and I can't see them being eager to share a race slot.  I guess it's possible that Vietnam's enthusiasm for hosting F1 will drop after a few years of handing Liberty many tens of millions of dollars, but in that case I suspect they'd just call it quits rather than alternating with Malaysia.

- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Singapore has been vocal about reducing cost though, going as far as saying "maybe we don't need F1 anymore, we got what we wanted out of it". Definitely a bargaining tool for future negotiations with Liberty, but I could easily see Singapore and Malaysia alternating. Fitting Vietnam into the mix is less likely, I admit.