News:

Welcome to the MF1 Forum

Main Menu

The 2019 Season

Started by Penfold, October 13, 2018, 03:52:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penfold

Wow.  Lack of competition means the poor man is reduced to one-upping himself in this contest for the most deserved F1 penalty.
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

I can accept that Vettel might not have actually turned left into Leclerc, but letting your car drift across into your teammate's isn't actually any better: https://www.racefans.net/2019/11/19/vettel-denies-turning-left-into-leclerc/
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Easily Vettel's fault, that. I did comment that perhaps this was said before he had the chance to review and reassess the situation. He did not turn, sure, but he drifted in order to compromise Leclerc's entry to the next corner. Leclerc refused to budge, and the pair came together as a result of expecting the other driver to back down.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Matt

Fault does ultimately lie with the one who wasn't going straight, but I still can't say much more than 55/45 blame to Vettel. Squeezing someone is common in racing and the car on the inside still has a responsibility to the team, even if not under the rules, to avoid contact that could damage his own car and race. If you're Vettel, sure, maybe don't race your teammate that way. But if you're Leclerc, maybe don't resolutely continue traveling in a straight line when contact is assured.

In no way does Leclerc deserve a penalty, but I wouldn't let him off if I was managing the team either.

Chrill

I see where you are coming from regarding Leclerc, but the way I see it is that if he had moved aside for Vettel then that would set the tone for 2020. Vettel won't try this again, he knows Leclerc won't back down. Leclerc had to keep his line, and Vettel had to see that and stop moving over. That's why I assign blame to Vettel. Using percentages, I'd go 80/20 rather than 55/45.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Matt

Vettel was ahead though, and I think if your assumption is that Vettel wouldn't do this again, you're wrong.

Chrill

Vettel clearly wasn't ahead, or they would not have touched. That's how spaces work, you know. ;) Vettel let his car drift into another car. That alone is wrong, regardless of whether it was a team mate or not.

Penfold

Bottas starting at the back in Abu Dhabi after new engine bits slotted into his car.  Isn't that exciting.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)