News:

Welcome to the MF1 Forum

Main Menu

The 2019 Season

Started by Penfold, October 13, 2018, 03:52:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penfold

Merc dominant but actually about the same margin ahead of Ferrari as in qualifying last year; yep, I'm for now clinging to the hope that this enormous gap is courtesy of track characteristics rather than purely the cars.

Not too shabby for McLaren.  Sainz hurt by a slow-moving Williams (Kubica with his puncture, not just a normally slow Williams), but great to see Norris in eighth.

Strong showing from Haas, looked to be easily best of the rest today - is it too soon to be thinking of switching to one of them?  If only they had better/less error-prone drivers.
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Spectacular performance from Bottas today. Hamilton, in need of finding excuses, blames it on "inexplicable floor damage" rather than saying "I was only second best today, Bottas simply was better".

Vettel got his strategy wrong, Hamilton covered him. Leclerc is already confirmed as the number 2 driver for Ferrari. Kubica was way off Russell and worryingly so. Also, hit the wall twice this weekend so here's hoping he merely had an unlucky start to his second F1 career.

I'll go set up a Ratings topic and then I'll rate all of them.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Penfold

- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

You know when a one-armed man says the car is shit it really is.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Matt

So Mercedes have said Hamilton had floor damage, but when/how did he get floor damage? I find it hard to believe that the 300 cameras would have missed Hamilton going off-track at some point. Seems like a very transparent excuse for a bad race.

Penfold

Maybe Bottas went at it with a hacksaw just before the race.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

That extremely small piece of debris can't have cost Hamilton 30 seconds over the race, or .5 per lap. That sounds absurd.

Penfold

Don't forget they pitted him 8 laps earlier than Bottas to cover Seb's move to fresh rubber, so let's allow for some time being lost through this sub-optimal (for Mercedes) strategy - though nowhere near 30 seconds.  As for the rest... well, I think it goes without saying that Bottas can't have out-driven Hamilton, so obviously this huge chunk of missing carbon fibre is the answer:

- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Yes, that is indeed massive.

Chrill

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/b2879a/the_ferrari_power_unit/

Some dark speculation about Ferrari and their power unit. If true, they are in trouble.

Penfold

Cheers for the link.  Have to keep an eye out for what sort of speeds the Ferrari-engined cars manage in Bahrain.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

A spate of fatal accidents, or perhaps a deadly virus, has evidently swept through the Williams aero-department as the team is now recruiting for eleven positions: https://www.motorsportjobs.com/en/jobs/williams
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mick-schumacher-test-debut-ferrari/4358259/

Mick Schumacher to run one day for Ferrari and one day for Alfa Romeo in the first in-season tests after the Bahrain GP.

Penfold

That will make his legs ache.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

It's not a marathon, it's a light jog.