News:

Welcome to the MF1 Forum

Main Menu

The 2020 Season

Started by Penfold, October 05, 2019, 03:46:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrill

Well, Mercedes can be bullish if they know they will win. There is no point in copying their concept for 2021, so why not gloat.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Chrill

https://en.vietnamplus.vn/f1-grand-prix-vietnam-faces-delay-over-covid19-concerns/169349.vnp

Vietnam is now opening up to a postponed GP as well.

As it seems to me, the Italian GP could become threatened too, as well as the Singapore, Japan, and Bahrain, depending on how the virus spreads.

With Italy locking up more and more provinces, both AlphaTauri and Ferrari could struggle to even leave home to go to races.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Penfold

On that very point, here's the latest from Vietnam's official tourism website:

"All travellers entering Vietnam from China, South Korea, Italy, and Iran must carry out medical declarations and 14-day medical quarantine before entering the country."

So none of the Italy-based staff will be popping back to their factories/offices/homes after the Bahrain GP.  Pirelli's F1 tyres are made at a plant in Izmit, Turkey (thanks, Google), so operationally easier than if they were coming out of Italy, but then you've still got the Milan-based technicians who fly out to every race.
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

So basically the Italian teams need to host their entire personnel in Asia for the entire first leg of this season, or at least somewhere away from home.

Penfold

Bahrain has gone the same route as Vietnam and introduced a 14-day quarantine on visitors from high-risk countries, which of course includes Italy; however, the Bahrainis will operate an expedited process for F1 personnel which runs like this:

"Bahrain immigration and health authorities have requested the names and flight details of all F1 personnel who work for teams, administrators, broadcasters or media who have been to, or transited through, China (including Hong Kong), Iran, Iraq, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, Singapore, Egypt, Lebanon and Thailand in the 14 days before their arrival in Bahrain.  This is in addition to the names and flight details of all passengers planning to arrive in Bahrain via the United Arab Emirates.  These passengers are expected to be screened at Manama airport on arrival and if they are clear of the virus will be allowed to enter the country."

Quite likely that Vietnam will take the same approach for F1, well, for F1 staff that is, anyone from one of the restricted countries who planned to attend either the Vietnamese or Bahraini GP is flat out of luck (and pocket).
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

So basically, F1 personnel will be tested for the virus then let in? Makes good sense to me, and ensures that the staff aren't carrying the virus. As to spectators? Well, those numbers will surely be lower than usual.

Chrill

The Haas boys may drop out by the end of this season, if they struggle like they did in 2019. The 2020 season needs to get off to a good start, Mr. Gene says.

https://www.grandprix247.com/2020/03/03/haas-to-do-another-five-years-would-be-a-big-commitment/

Penfold

The question is, what would the Mr. Gene consider a good start?  Given their set-up, I can only see them scrapping with Williams and maybe Alfauber.  Haas doesn't have the budget or skills to compete with McLaren or Renault, whilst Tracing Point & BorisJohnson are both on the Haas path of least resistance, only with stronger F1 pedigrees and drawing from the two best parents on the grid.  Then there's the driver line-up... not exactly consistent performers, at least not in a good way!
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

I hope the teams remember to pack plenty of loo roll for Oz, the stuff is flying off the shelves right now: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-51731422
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Quote from: Penfold on March 05, 2020, 03:35:51 AM
I hope the teams remember to pack plenty of loo roll for Oz, the stuff is flying off the shelves right now: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-51731422
Same in Sweden, among other things. It's as though people only just realised that having a bunch of food and supplies at home is a good thing. Sure, corona may not kill us, but being able to isolate yourself on short notice is not bad thing.

Today, I was buying some water and the shelves here in San Francisco were at least 80% empty.

Speaking of the virus, Bahrain stops selling tickets and opens up the possibility of refunding people if they need to decrease attendance due to health guidelines:
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/coronavirus-bahrain-ticket-sales-halted/4720718/?nrt=54

Chrill

Penfold

I don't think you can isolate the 2020 thread from Mr. Corona....
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

McLaren has withdrawn from the Australian GP after a team member tested positive for coronavirus.  Don't they realise that this will play havoc with the MF1 Championship?
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

Two senior F1 sources tell the Beeb that Sunday's race is off: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/51849163
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

I don't see Bahrain happening even without spectators. Same goes for Vietnam. With Europe erupting, I wonder when the first race will be held. According to the rules, a season must consist of at least 8 races. That's what they need for it to be considered a proper season.