News:

Welcome to the MF1 Forum

Main Menu

Irrelevant F1 Facts and News and Stuff

Started by Penfold, March 07, 2017, 02:07:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

To be fair, Kovalainen and Glock were both pretty good drivers. That?s why they ended up on this list, Manor and Caterham (or whatever they were called at the time) wanted to hire them as experienced drivers.

Chrill

Sure, but Marky Mark Eric Wahlberg Son is ahead of names like Karthikeyan, Albers, and Chilton.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Chrill

"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Penfold

An F1 survey about DRS states that 56% of those asked believe the system makes overtaking too easy: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.f1-fan-voice-fans-have-their-say-on-drs.3Vwphuskn6gukaO08U2aSu.html

I'm somewhat disappointed that it was only 56%. 
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

I think people have become accustomed to DRS by now. Yes it makes overtaking DRS but until they build cars capable of racing we sort of need it.

Matt

Yeah, the alternative is no passing. It's still the lesser of two evils. But F1 will lack in the racing department until they can find a way to have passing without DRS again.

Chrill

Agreed. The 2019 regulations aim to change that somewhat, 2020 will develop it further and 2021 (supposedly) will be the full iteration of this overtaking group that F1 has got going under Ross Brawn.

Penfold

Pity F1 made a bad situation worse with the 2017 regs by going against the findings of the 2008 Overtaking Working Group; people did say at the time that said regs would worsen the dirty air issue, but the FIA ploughed on regardless in its usual arrogant manner.

It's immensely depressing (within the very limited context of how much I actually care about F1) that overtaking has become ever more reliant on DRS, a supposedly temporary measure, in these past eight years, but it's even more depressing when they go and give a track like Spa a massive DRS zone which strips away any excitement/tension from the racing.  If nothing else, you would hope by now that they'd be tailoring DRS use so that it makes overtaking a possibility rather than a foregone conclusion, and at some circuits (the ones not blessed/cursed with hugely long straights) that is the case, but then they go and ruin Spa and take another small piece of my affection for the sport.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Since Ferrari announced Leclerc as Kimi's 2019 replacement, Vettel has finished in third at best and scored a total of 50 points. Kimi has won a race and scored 57 points. Leclerc has finished in the points twice, at best 7th in Russia.

Penfold

It goes without saying, but I'm going to say it anyway, that Ferrari should take note of these recent results and announce Kimi & Ericsson as their drivers for 2019.

Post no. 999.  Better make the next one a classic....
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

... or perhaps a good news story -  Niki Lauda has left hospital and is in good condition after having received a lung transplant back in August: https://www.racefans.net/2018/10/24/lauda-released-from-hospital-after-lung-transplant/
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Really happy to hear. The Austrian rat surely has 9 lives too, just like a cat. Can't wait to have that grumpy man back in the paddock.

Chrill

Three drivers have won 5 or more World Championships - Fangio, Schumacher, Hamilton. The Mercedes F1 Team has always had one of these guys in a car whenever they enter a race. Dating back to the first Mercedes entry in 1954, at least one of those three man have raced a Mercedes whenever the team entered a race. Neat little factoid.

Chrill

I'm sure you have heard of Alx Danielsson. No? Well, he once tested a Renault F1 car back in 2007 after winning Formula Renault 3.5 Series in 2006. He's part of a Swedish F1 fan group on Facebook, and today confirmed that in late 2007 he signed a 3-year agreement to race for Super Aguri 2008-2010. Now, Super Aguri folded four races into 2008, but those four races were saw Anthony Davidson and Takuma Sato driving them Super Aguris. Aww how close we got to having a Swede in F1 back then!

Penfold

Oh yeah, Alx Danielsson, of course I remember him from back in his Formula Renault days....
- Chrill (28/09/2018)