News:

Welcome to the MF1 Forum

Main Menu

Race Weekend and how they may change

Started by Chrill, August 11, 2018, 07:45:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrill

There's often talk of reducing the number of practices, adding a second race on Saturday, and whatnot. I've done some thinking, let me know what you think about this:

Friday:
60 minutes free practice
60 minutes free practice for third drivers only

Saturday:
Current-style 3-step elimination qualifying
40 minute race for third drivers only, using a reverse grid based on the average qualifying time of the regular two drivers

Sunday:
Current-style 90 minute race

This would give drivers less practice, give third drivers more experience, and provide audiences with roughly the same amount of ontrack action.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Penfold

I know technically a team can only have a single third driver, but do you mean just one guy (or gal) per team or are we talking two each to give a grid of twenty?
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

A grid of 10 was my original idea, but perhaps a grid of 20 could work. The problem then is that you would need to readjust two cars between every session rather than just the one.

A grid of 10 is small, but for a 40 minute sprint on ultras (no pit stops) it could work.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Penfold

Need to switch off DRS (or only have it active on fairly short straights) otherwise the Merc/Ferrari/Red Bull guys will cruise to the front of every race.  Engines (power units) are the big issue to overcome: extra wear and tear not going to be popular with the main drivers.  What you really want is for everyone to bring a third car.
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)