2019 Driver Speculation

Started by Chrill, January 16, 2018, 03:11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penfold

I can see why he'd be tempted.
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/jun/21/mclaren-make-huge-offer-for-king-of-the-market-daniel-ricciardo-report

Could Ricciardo make the switch away from one of the top 3 teams? McLaren is attempting it. Also makes me think Alonso is definitely going for Indy next season.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Penfold

He'd be mad to make that switch.  No chance of a title with McLaren in the next couple of years - and likely for much longer than that.  As you say, it does sort of tally up with McLaren having an Alonso shaped hole to fill for '19, so who do we put next on their shopping list... how about Hulk?
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Quote from: Penfold on June 21, 2018, 03:45:27 AM
He'd be mad to make that switch.  No chance of a title with McLaren in the next couple of years - and likely for much longer than that.  As you say, it does sort of tally up with McLaren having an Alonso shaped hole to fill for '19, so who do we put next on their shopping list... how about Hulk?
I do like the idea of Hulk. I worry that Vandoorne may have to step up to team leader though.

Going through the grid, who could lead a McLaren charge if Alonso disappears?

Kimi Raikkonen, but I doubt he'd want to switch teams again.
Valtteri Bottas, if Mercedes were to steal Ricciardo. I doubt it.
Nico H?lkenberg, on the table for sure.
Carlos Sainz, who clearly is popular with Renault and also supported by Alonso.
Sergio Perez, has a poor history with McLaren.
Stoffel Vandoorne, just doesn't appear to be good enough.
Lando Norris, could be the new Lewis Hamilton and would then be able to fill Alonso's shoes.

So yes, Vandoorne-Norris isn't entirely unlikely.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Chrill

Penfold

Quote from: Chrill on June 21, 2018, 06:05:31 AM
I do like the idea of Hulk. I worry that Vandoorne may have to step up to team leader though.

Going through the grid, who could lead a McLaren charge if Alonso disappears?

Kimi Raikkonen, but I doubt he'd want to switch teams again.
Valtteri Bottas, if Mercedes were to steal Ricciardo. I doubt it.
Nico H?lkenberg, on the table for sure.
Carlos Sainz, who clearly is popular with Renault and also supported by Alonso.
Sergio Perez, has a poor history with McLaren.
Stoffel Vandoorne, just doesn't appear to be good enough.
Lando Norris, could be the new Lewis Hamilton and would then be able to fill Alonso's shoes.

So yes, Vandoorne-Norris isn't entirely unlikely.

I'd hope McLaren's line-up would be: Lando Norris & Someone better than Van Door.  Hulk and Sainz are the obvious choices, largely because I can't see Perez or Ocon going there.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

More whispers placing Ricciardo at McLaren and/or Renault are doing the rounds at the moment, together with this rather strong message of support for Leclerc:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferrari-ready-to-replace-raikkonen-with-leclerc-1047195/?s=1

Leclerc-Vettel seems a rather clear option for 2019, with Raikkonen finally stepping away from F1.

Chrill

Are you ready to get SILLY?

If Alonso leaves F1, and Ricciardo turns down McLaren (not impossible), the McLaren team is reportedly looking at bringing back Kimi.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-5892277/Crisis-torn-McLaren-want-Kimi-Raikkonen-replace-Fernando-Alonso-star-man-retires.html

That's a fun one.

Chrill

Chrill

And along with Ricciardo, I filled in lots of new names. Sauber, Williams, and Force India especially because they were practically empty.

Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport:
3. Daniel Ricciardo (link)
31. Esteban Ocon (link)
44. Lewis Hamilton (link)
77. Valtteri Bottas (link)

Scuderia Ferrari:
5. Sebastian Vettel (link)
7. Kimi Raikkonen (link)
14. Fernando Alonso (link)
16. Charlec Leclerc (link)

Aston Martin Red Bull Racing Honda:
33. Max Verstappen (link)
55. Carlos Sainz (link)

Sahara Force India F1 Team:
31. Esteban Ocon (link)
?. Nicholas Latifi (link)

Williams Martini Racing:
18. Lance Stroll (link)
35. Sergey Sirotkin (link)
?. Robert Kubica (link)

Renault Sport Formula One Team:
2. Stoffel Vandoorne (link)
55. Carlos Sainz (link)

Red Bull Toro Rosso Honda:
94. Pascal Wehrlein (link)
?. Felix Rosenqvist (link) (Dutch)
?. Robert Kubica (link)

Haas F1 Team:
20. Kevin Magnussen (link)
?. Pietro Fittipaldi (link)

McLaren F1 Team:
7. Kimi Raikkonen (link)
77. Valtteri Bottas (link)
?. Lando Norris (link)
?. Nyck de Vries (link)

Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team:
9. Marcus Ericsson (link)
16. Charles Leclerc (link)
?. Antonio Giovinazzi (link) Italian

Penfold

There's a whole load of wildly speculative placements going on in that post.  Good work.  Need to find something for poor old Perez to drive.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Matt

I will give my guesses:

Mercedes:
Hamilton
Bottas

Ferrari:
Vettel
Leclerc

Red Bull:
Verstappen
Ricciardo

Force India:
Ocon
Perez

Williams:
Stroll
Sirotkin

Renault:
Hulkenberg
Sainz

Toro Rosso:
Gasly
Kubica

Haas:
Magnussen
?

McLaren:
Vandoorne
Norris

Sauber:
Ericsson
Giovinazzi

I see very few changes. If Ricciardo stays at Red Bull, there?s not much pushing people to move.

Penfold

Alonso is the other big (although not as big) unknown... will he decide enough is enough or will he plough on for another year with McLaren?  If he stays I'd say Van Door gets the boot, otherwise he's promoted to team leader and then humbled by Chuck Norris.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

I agree with you, Matt, except on two things.

Haas will retain Magnussen-Grosjean, and Toro Rosso will not sign Kubica.

I think Gasly-Hartley may continue, but I also think they could well draft in a non-Red Bull junior. Who is a young up and coming driver not affiliated with any rival F1 team?

Markelov is with Renault, those ties can be severed. Alexander Albon is Thai, as is the Red Bull's original drink, so that's a lovely connection. I can't find info on his being connected to other F1 teams but he is perhaps not a strong enough candidate. Sette Camara WAS a Red Bull junior, but they dropped him after a poor first season in Formula 2. Dan Ticktum, currently 2nd in Formula 3, is a Red Bull junior but is he ready to step up as soon as 2019? Most likely not.

I'm a big fan of Enaam Ahmed, born in the year 2000 so will be 19 by next season. Also, keeps winning every series he joins. After winning the British F3 last year, he is now 3rd in his first season in the full European F3 championship. Gambling on a Pakistani driver can surely have advertising benefits too. Does he have the necessary points to go get his F1 license?

Chrill

Quote from: Chrill on July 04, 2018, 03:28:47 AMDan Ticktum, currently 2nd in Formula 3, is a Red Bull junior but is he ready to step up as soon as 2019? Most likely not.
Heh.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ticktum-hartley-replacement-toro-rosso-1056560/?tp%5B0%5D=2&s=1