News:

Welcome to the MF1 Forum

Main Menu

2019 Driver Speculation

Started by Chrill, January 16, 2018, 03:11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrill

"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Chrill

Kubica in line to replace Giovinazzi as Development Driver for Ferrari:
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/kubica-ferrari-simulator-role-williams/3205610/

In my view, that most likely includes a reserve driver role for Sauber and Ferrari, perhaps Haas as well.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Penfold

Hope it does include Haas - a few more penalty points for Grosjean and Kubica would be off to the races (race).
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Matt

This might require going back in history, but what is the longest gap between scoring points? If Kubica makes it into a race next season and scores points, would he break that record?

In modern F1, with extended points and pretty standard career paths, no one goes eight years between scoring points. Back in the day, with fewer points-paying positions and a less predictable grid, it may have happened.

Penfold

Certainly going back in history for this one: Lucien Bianchi holds the record at 7 years, 11 months, and 7 days (between Belgium 1960 & Monaco '68).

Wasn't sure there would be a list compiled for such a statistic, but here it is: http://www.statsf1.com/en/statistiques/pilote/point/ecart.aspx

Good old Alexander Wurz in twelfth place, just nudging Aguri Suzuki by a few months.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Decent statistics, that. Kubica last raced in 2010, meaning he'd be coming up on over 8 years if indeed he made the grid in 2019. That would put him first on that list, most recently scoring with a P5 in Abu Dhabi on 14 November 2010.

Chrill

No sources, but I'm hearing Sirotkin is no longer in the running for a Williams seat. I'm hearing Stroll may actually remain at Williams. I don't believe it yet, but it's fun to post. Force India is supposedly pushing to keep Ocon.

Penfold

Obviously they want to keep Ocon, they've seen how well Stroll handles an F1 car....
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Do you speak German?

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/formel-1/kubica-comeback-williams/

If you do, you'll see that this article claims "Williams will confirm Kubica as their second driver for 2019". As in, race driver. As in, Kubica to return. Auto Motor und Sport is generally a very reliable news source, not a gossipy F1 newspaper. If they say this, it is likely that negotiations are at a serious stage.

If you don't speak German, let my very poor German translate some highlights for you:
* 90% likelihood Kubica will make a 2019 comeback
* Ocon to take seat as reserve driver for Mercedes, Williams, and Force India
* Williams will sell Friday practice outings to highest bidder (Mazepin), so the number of weekends Kubica will have to stand aside is one of few things they still haven't agreed on, the only thing missing is a signature on the contract
* Wehrlein will replace Kvyat as third driver at Ferrari

Chrill

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/kubica-williams-race-deal-2019/4301134/
'Kubica agrees 2019 Williams race deal'

Please be true, please be true. An announcement is expected early in the Abu Dhabi weekend, so I'm guessing tomorrow or Friday.

Penfold

- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Matt

I already hate social media, but the amount of people bitching that he does not deserve it truly enrage me. How do you know that? He might not be good anymore, but how do you know that? And then there are the people who say he was never good to begin with... Sometimes I think the F1 fanbase is objectively the dumbest on Earth behind the Trump fanbase.

Penfold

Quite.  Stating that Rob no longer has 'it' is one thing, a fairly idiotic thing because Williams hasn't kept him hanging around out of sympathy, but then fairly idiotic is base level for a lot of people out there; stating that he never had 'it' takes idiocy to a whole new level....
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Penfold

No longer mere speculation, Kubica will be racing for Williams next year: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/46300009
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

https://www.williamsf1.com/racing/news/2018/11/williams-martini-racing-confirms-robert-kubica-as-race-driver-for-2019

Sooo exciting.

Re Matt's comments: Yes, I've seen the very same in a few Swedish F1 groups I frequent. They argue that "something is wrong when a 33-year old one-armed guy can beat a young up-and-comer to an F1 seat".

From where I sit, we already have two of the top three F2 drivers of 2018 joining F1 in 2019 (Russel, Norris), alongside a former runner-up of the series (Giovinazzi) and potentially the final part of the 2018 podium (Albon). What could a FIFTH rookie bring that the other 4 cannot? This year, we got to see Leclerc and Gasly and they will both drive race-winning cars in 2019. Surely this proves F1 is healthy (assuming you align yourself with the big 3, that is another issue).

If Kubica brings sponsorship to Williams, and is capable at racing 90% of his previous capacity, he'll prove a real tough nut for Russell to crack and could really help the Williams team. Their 2019 duo looks a whole lot hotter than the 2018 counterpart.

The only thing wrong with F1 drivers at the moment is Stroll and Sirotkin. We're only keeping 50% of that.