News:

Welcome to the MF1 Forum

Main Menu

2018 Season - Rate the Drivers

Started by Chrill, March 21, 2018, 11:40:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrill

Standings are amended with your edits. :)

Fun fact, on average I rated the drivers 6.824 in Australia. You rated them 6.646 so you are a bit less kind in your ratings! I love these kinds of stats!

EDIT: And being the nerd I am, I added yet another function to the comparisons page. I've made it so that if two of us share the same highest rating (pretty likely for now, less likely once we have a few ratings going), then it tells you that there is no one person rating them highest.

I also prettified the comparisons page with some formatting and I have hidden the not-yet-existing "Player 4" since they don't, in fact, exist yet.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."
- Chrill, 28 Sep 2018 8 Oct 2019

Penfold

Australia:

Merc:
Hammy - 7 - Stunning quali lap; in race seemed to have pace to spare compared to Ferraris but only 3.5 seconds ahead at pit-stop - needed to push harder.   
Val - 4 - Destroyed his race on Saturday afternoon, no chance for a big comeback drive on this track.

Ferrari:
Seb - 8 - Out-performed by Kimi but some strong laps before pit-stop put him in position to take advantage of VSC - no mistakes once in lead.
Kimi - 8 - It was like the Kimi of old... fast not only in qualifying but for the whole of the race.

Red Bull
The Pie Man - 8 - Great pace in the Red Bull.  Denied a real shot at glory by grid penalty but as always a stonking drive.
Max - 5 - More of a stinking drive.  Bonus point for speed in qualifying.

Force India:
Perez - 7 - Inauspicious start for Force India.  Perez only close to Sainz because of his water bottle issue.
Ocon - 6 - A tad off Sergio's pace, hence a tad off his score.

Williams
Stroller - 4 - No idea what to expect from Williams as we have no useful reference.  That said, I will assume the car should beat Saubers and so a poor showing from cash machine no. 1.
Sirotkin - X - Early car failure for cash machine no. 2 - however, he did not exactly impress in qualifying so needs to improve as his experience builds.

Renault:
Sainz - 6 - Interesting experiment by Renault: Sainz was force-fed water for most of the race and consequently felt a wee bit unwell and struggled as race wore on.
Hulk -  7 - Driver no. 2 was not force-fed water all race and seemed to benefit from this approach. 

Toro Rosso:
Gasly - X - Total mystery why McLaren gave up on Honda.
J.R. - 4 - Hard to judge pace of car but mistake into turn 1 didn't help his cause.

Haas:
Big Jean - 7 - Edged by Kevin on both days.
Son of Magnus - 8 - Edged Romain on both days.

McLaren:
Aslan - 10 - No-one in the history of mankind could've done more with that car.
Van Door - 7 - Decent enough performance but he's still not delivering the star quality I expected.

Sauber:
Chrill's mate Marcus - X - His dead-slow car died.
'It is I' - 9 - Only a fraction off Rutabaga in quali; managed to finish ahead of Stroll & Hartley in race.  Perfect debut showing.
"I like beating and punching."
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

There's a disturbing lack of "being funny" in your names for these kids. Give it a rethink, dear.
"It is becoming apparent Ericsson is not, after all, joining Ferrari Ganassi for 2019 2020."

Penfold

Do you mean Gasly & Sirotkin?  If so, give it time.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Well then. Document updated with 3 players this season. How exciting. We find that we actually rated 7 drivers the same score, plus 3 drivers X, so in total 10 of 20 drivers got the same score. The biggest difference is 2, which happened a couple times:

I rated Lewis 8, Penfold rated him 7, M4A1 rated him 6.
I rated Sainz 7, Penfold rated him 6, M4A1 rated him 5.
I rated Hartley 3, Penfold rated him 4, M4A1 rated him 5.

Our championship standings after one race, then:

1. Fernando Alonso, 9.667
2. Kimi Raikkonen, 8.333
2. Charles Leclerc, 8.333
4. Sebastian Vettel, 8.000
4. Daniel Ricciardo, 8.000
4. Kevin Magnussen, 8.000
7. Nico Hulkenberg, 7.333
8. Lewis Hamilton, 7.000
8. Sergio Perez, 7.000
8. Stoffel Vandoorne, 7.000
17. Brendon Hartley, 4.000

Check out the rest of our stats in that there sexy document

Penfold

Nice one, it all looks very snazzy.

I shall proffer an anagram of Sergey Sirotkin in lieu of a 'proper' nickname: henceforth he shall be known as 'Risky Tires Gone'.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Penfold

Putin' on the Ritz?

Sticking with the anagram theme, Pierre Gasly is now the 'Greasy Peril'.
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

Bahrain GP ratings:

Mercedes:
Lewis Hamilton - 8/10 (Poor qualifying but made up for it with some proper racing. Was not on course for podium had it not been for Raikkonen + Red Bulls, but you have to grab the opportunity and he did. Nice race)
Valtteri Bottas - 7/10 (With those extremely worn softs on Vettel, the Bottman should have made it happen. We should have seen him win here)

Ferrari:
Sebastian Vettel - 9/10 (You're not supposed to drive on the same set of softs for more than half the race. So, uhm, yeah, that was impressive)
Kimi Raikkonen - 8/10 (Looked almost as strong as Vettel, shame about the end of his race with the injured mechanic. One point less due to simply being behind his team mate)

Red Bull:
Daniel Ricciardo - X/10 (Retired way too soon)
Max Verstappen - 3/10 (Caused his own puncture before retiring. Poor and overly aggressive start. Yet another rookie mistake. Not cool, dude)

Force India:
Sergio Perez - 6/10 (Hard to be more invisible than this. I think he was in the race, right? He dropped down a bit too much and never challenged for points)
Esteban Ocon - 8/10 (He was rather invisible too, in that messy midfield, until a late jump on Sainz. Would rate 7 had it not been for that Sainz overtake)

Williams:
Lance Stroll - 4/10 (Really? I mean, sure that car is woeful but it's not like the driver is helping. At least beat his team mate)
Sergey Sirotkin - 3/10 (Defended much too hard against drivers he wasn't really racing with. Should have kept his cool, then he would have beat his mate Stroll)

Renault:
Carlos Sainz Jr - 5/10 (Not a strong race, and in the end finished outside the points. With his team mate high up, he should be there too)
Nico Hulkenberg - 8/10 (Rather impressive, but in the end couldn't challenge the Haas or Toro Rosso. Beat McLaren though, so that's nice. Beat his team mate proper too)

Toro Rosso:
Pierre Gasly - 10/10 (Wow. What else can we say? Best of the rest in a Honda. On a circuit where power is required. He drove brilliantly, didn't make a single mistake. Amazing)
Brendon Hartley - 6/10 (Older engine, older aero package. P13 wasn't great when compared to his team mate, but it wasn't all that bad either considering his car was not as good as Gasly's. Should have the aero updates for China, engine might have to wait since we can only use 3 per year)

Haas:
Romain Grosjean - 4/10 (Messy race, three pit stops, and the car just seemed to disintegrate. Qualified way too far behind his team mate)
Kevin Magnussen - 8/10 (Nice starting position converted into a nice finishing position. Well done, K-Mag)

McLaren:
Fernando Alonso - 8/10 (Considering where he started, P7 is really a nice result. Kept his cool, fought the right people at the right time)
Stoffel Vandoorne - 8/10 (As above, but right behind his team mate. Nice drive)

Sauber:
Marcus Ericsson - 10/10 (So happy to give him this score. P17 to P9. Really? Amazing start saw him up to P12. Red Bull retirements brought him swiftly into the points, and then he drove an absolutely massive second stint on mediums. Extremely well done, and first points since Italy 2015)
Charles Leclerc - 6/10 (Yes, he's a rookie. That showed. Qualifying was a mess, and the race was rather anonymous at times. Still beat a Haas and both Williams cars though)

Driver of the race? Gasly. Of course. Honorable mention to Ericsson and Vettel.

Matt

Mercedes:
Lewis Hamilton - 6/10 (Not a great qualifying. Anything less than third would have been a failure under the circumstances. He had the opportunity to catch Bottas and didn't.)
Valtteri Bottas - 7/10 (Good start to get past Kimi and keep it interesting for Ferrari. Good run to catch up to Vettel at the end. Maybe could have gotten past, but his mediums were only one step harder than Vettel's tires and also extremely worn)

Ferrari:
Sebastian Vettel - 10/10 (Good pole. Good race where the two top teams seemed almost even. Great job to hold on with very old tires at the end.)
Kimi Raikkonen - 7/10 (Threw away pace advantage he had over Vettel all weekend in qualifying. Bad start to lose out to Bottas, which hurt the team strategically.)

Red Bull:
Daniel Ricciardo - X/10 (Good qualifying, not enough of a race.)
Max Verstappen - 2/10 (Not willing to put the puncture on him, but he wouldn't have been there had he not crashed in qualifying too.)

Force India:
Sergio Perez - 7/10 (Spun on the first lap and recovered relatively well under the circumstances. Dumb 30s post-race penalty but it didn't affect anything important.)
Esteban Ocon - 8/10 (This car isn't that good right now.)

Williams:
Lance Stroll - 2/10 (Awful weekend. Don't lose qualifying to your rookie teammate.)
Sergey Sirotkin - 2/10 (Awful weekend. Won qualifying though.)

Renault:
Carlos Sainz Jr - 6/10 (Very mediocre.)
Nico Hulkenberg - 8/10 (P6 was a good run for this car.)

Toro Rosso:
Pierre Gasly - 10/10 (Basically a perfect weekend. Finish was helped by the attrition, but it's not like there were adverse conditions and he was 37s ahead of Hulkenberg in P6)
Brendon Hartley - 6/10 (Not bad. Dumb 30s post-race penalty that I don't totally understand since it seems that Perez passed him.)

Haas:
Romain Grosjean - 4/10 (Bad weekend.)
Kevin Magnussen - 8/10 (Good weekend. Interesting to see Haas this competitive after Australia, where they've always been good.)

McLaren:
Fernando Alonso - 8/10 (Good race, seemingly all the car had here.)
Stoffel Vandoorne - 7/10 (Good race, lost to teammate.)

Sauber:
Marcus Ericsson - 10/10 (Definitely all the car had.)
Charles Leclerc - 6/10 (Anonymous weekend. Which is better than a bad weekend.)

Can't really separate driver of the race between Vettel, Gasly, and Ericsson. But I'll go with Vettel since he actually had pressure.

M4A1Carbine

Mercedes:
Lewis Hamilton - 5/10
Valtteri Bottas - 7/10

Ferrari:
Sebastian Vettel - 9/10
Kimi Raikkonen - 7/10

Red Bull:
Daniel Ricciardo - X/10
Max Verstappen - X/10

Force India:
Sergio Perez - 6/10
Esteban Ocon - 8/10

Williams:
Lance Stroll - 4/10
Sergey Sirotkin - 4/10

Renault:
Carlos Sainz - 6/10
Nico Hulkenberg - 8/10

Toro Rosso:
Pierre Gasly - 10/10
Brendon Hartley - 6/10

Haas:
Romain Grosjean - 4/10
Kevin Magnussen - 9/10

McLaren:
Fernando Alonso - 9/10
Stoffel Vandoorne - 7/10

Sauber:
Marcus Ericsson - 10/10
Charles Leclerc - 6/10

Chrill

Oh boy, is this Matt rating drivers after a race? Impressive. Will add you to the tables! :)

Chrill

M4A1 and Matt (and me) added to the tables for Bahrain. Awaiting the slowly Penfoldian before updating the "Comparison" section.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dnPSeVbYFM6KP0SW2SPGzJch7KAiLuaUvD4hpSWSHek/edit?usp=sharing

Penfold

This is damn fast for me.

Bahrain:

Merc:
Hammy - 7 - Edged by Valerie in quali, edged Valerie in race.
Val - 7 - Same as Hammy but t'other way round.

Ferrari:
Seb - 10 - Tremendous stint on the softs.
Kimi - 7 - Good but well bested by Vettel.

Red Bull
The Pie Man - X - Bloody Renault.
Max - 2 - I was going to say 'continued his horrible start to the year', but quali crash and needless shunt into Hammy moves it into 'truly terrible' territory.

Force India:
Perez - 7 - Spun by Hartley at start, alright recovery given car's limitations.
Ocon - 8 - About as much as the car has to offer.

Williams
Stroller - 3 - Is it the drivers, is it the car, or are they just all awful?  Probably the last one.
Sirotkin - 3 - Slow, but remember he was the best driver available for Williams and absolutely not hired for his money....

Renault:
Sainz - 5 - Too far off Hulk this time.
Hulk -  8 - Pretty nifty driving as per usual.  Not quite the pace of Haas but held off Alonso fairly easily.

Toro Rosso:
Greasy Peril - 10 - Blimey.  Exactly the sort of talented youngsters for which F1 needs to find room. 
J.R. - 5 - Clipped Perez at start, struggled in older-spec machinery.

Haas:
Big Jean - 4 - Bits flying off his car surely didn't help, but just not on KMag's pace this weekend - and then almost crashed into him at one point.
Son of Magnus - 9 - Inconsistent in 2017 but has been mightily impressive this year.

McLaren:
Aslan - 8 - Struggle for McLaren this weekend.  Alonso helpfully narrowed down areas of weakness: top speed, braking, and traction.  Driving through the twisty bits is fine.
Van Door - 7 - A step behind Alonso, but not the giant step often witnessed last year.

Sauber:
Chrill's mate Marcus - 10 - That was unexpected.  I mean, really, really, really fucking unexpected.  If you'll pardon my French.
'It is I' - 6 - Some rookie errors but that's okay at this stage.

Now with added comments!
- Chrill (28/09/2018)

Chrill

I appreciate it, Pennywise. Our championship standings after race 2, then:

1. Pierre Gasly, 10.0
1. Marcus Ericsson, 10.0
3. Sebastian Vettel, 9.0
4. Fernando Alonso, 8.75
5. Kevin Magnussen, 8.25
6. Daniel Ricciardo, 8.0
7. Nico Hulkenberg, 7.75
8. Kimi Raikkonen, 7.625
9. Esteban Ocon, 7.25
10. Stoffel Vandoorne, 7.125
20. Sergey Sirotkin, 3.0